I love my song, but it's all in MIDI. Now what?
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

I love my song, but it's all in MIDI. Now what?

Ok. So I've put about 50-60 hours into a trance track I've made in Logic Pro 9, and I'm really happy with it. I've made countless tracks over the years, but this is the first one I'd like to share with people.

I know I need to bounce the track to audio. But where do I start?

When watching Youtube tutorials, I often see producers bouncing from MIDI to audio while still working on the track, usually in groups. Aside from saving CPU usage, why would they do this? (keep in mind my track is 100% midi--no live audio)

So basically my question: My track sounds great (to me)--I've mixed it, applied some mastering techniques, and am overall happy with it. How should I proceed in making it into audio? Surely it's more than simply bouncing the master track.

Bonus question: Why would I ever bounce MIDI to audio while I'm still in the middle of a track? People obviously do it all the time, but it seems as though all FX and modulation I want to do can be accomplished during the MIDI phase...

A preeminent THANK YOU to responders.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Nut

Just use the start and end markets in logic (or the loop function) to Set up the beginning and ending of your song. Then hit the bounce to disk option in the upper right of the arrange window. Not the bounce in place option. Choose your specifications here for PCM(wav) our most our burn to a cd.

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

I bounce tracks to audio as I create to save CPU power primarily. Other reasons for doing it would be to manipulate the audio in a way you can't do with midi (pitch shifting, time shifting, reversing, etc.).

How I would proceed in the scenario you've laid out would be to make sure my dither is turned on and bounce it out.

If it's done, it's done.

If there isn't anything you want to do with the audio like I described, there is no reason why you should/could/need to bounce anything while you're in the middle of a track.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Govna View Post
I bounce tracks to audio as I create to save CPU power primarily. Other reasons for doing it would be to manipulate the audio in a way you can't do with midi (pitch shifting, time shifting, reversing, etc.).

How I would proceed in the scenario you've laid out would be to make sure my dither is turned on and bounce it out.

If it's done, it's done.

If there isn't anything you want to do with the audio like I described, there is no reason why you should/could/need to bounce anything while you're in the middle of a track.
This is exactly right. I would just add that there is one more benefit to printing MIDI tracks, and that is for possible sharing and/or archiving purposes. Just in case there comes a time when you or someone else doesn't have access to the MIDI instruments used.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Thank you guys for the responses.

Tha Govna (or anyone): your response brings two questions to mind.

1. What do you mean by "make sure the dither is turned on"? I know dither has something to do with bit rate, that's about it...

2. What kind of pitch shifting, reversing etc. can be accomplished with audio and not midi? Should I be pitchshifting my synth rises and stuff in audio to make them smoother? It never even occurred to me that I could manipulate audio differently than midi--at least in terms of automation and stuff...
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindonthemind View Post
Thank you guys for the responses.

Tha Govna (or anyone): your response brings two questions to mind.

1. What do you mean by "make sure the dither is turned on"? I know dither has something to do with bit rate, that's about it...

2. What kind of pitch shifting, reversing etc. can be accomplished with audio and not midi? Should I be pitchshifting my synth rises and stuff in audio to make them smoother? It never even occurred to me that I could manipulate audio differently than midi--at least in terms of automation and stuff...
1. Yes dither is just used to convert the bit depth (usually 24bit to 16bit)

2. Because MIDI isn't sound, it's just information. For instance, if you wanted to "reverse" a whole bar of the music (all the tracks), how would you do it if it were MIDI?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search