looking for first mic
gamba
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

looking for first mic

hi everyone , i'm looking for a mic for mainly vocals but maybe a little acoustic guitar. i was looking at the rode nt1a package deal but i'm a little afraid it might be too bright or crisp. there are so many mics out there that i was hoping i could get some suggestions. my voice seems to lie in a barritone range and i like a mix of soft subtle vocals then into metal. i guess any song that has the vocal style of korn. would i need a large diaphram condenser for the subtle and a dynamic for the heavy parts of a vocal track.? any input would be great. thank you
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

AT4040, you wont be disappointed.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

+1 on the AT4040, started using this recently, great mic.

My first mic was a Rode NT1000, i still use it to this day, vocals/acoustic guitar/drum overheads... Can't go wrong for a first mic.

Try renting 1 or 2 before you buy, you will quickly realize which ones flatter your voice, and which ones just don't work for you.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Head

What's your price range? Sm7 and a decent small diaphram condenser might be the best route.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyzpencer View Post
What's your price range? Sm7 and a decent small diaphram condenser might be the best route.
Good idea... I'd go for an sm7 and Oktava mk-012. I don't believe there's another combo at that price that even comes close.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByKevin View Post
Try renting 1 or 2 before you buy, you will quickly realize which ones flatter your voice, and which ones just don't work for you.
Also very "sound" advice. Pun intended
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Yep, AT4040 is an excellent first mic.

It performs on a wide range of sources.

If you have it, get the AT4050 instead though.

It has multiple patterns, which extends applicable use even more.
S21
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
S21
Lives for gear

People will heckle me, but my advice is a little contrary to conventional thinking.

Buy a cheap dynamic like a xm8500. Buy a cheap sdc cardioid condenser. Buy a cheap instrument mic (57 knockoff etc). Buy a cheap sdc omni condenser.

Spend some time learning how the different mics behave. See how different mics sound in different positions.

If you sound bad it's probably you. If it isn't you, it's the type of mic you're using or where you've placed it.

If you still sound bad it's great to be able to still blame it on the cheap mics!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
+1 For the AT4040

My first "decent" mic was a Rode NT2A - still use it today, great for the price.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search