Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

2 Questions

I've got 3 questions that i would like you to answer.

1. Instead of connecting my audio interface directly to my studio monitors. Can i put a direct box in between? What i want to say is: connecting my interface's monitor outs to 2 different channels on a direct a box and then those 2 channels to my monitors via XLR cables. Is this worth it?

2. How can i expand my outputs? (i have a focusrite scarlett 18i6 usb audio interface).
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

1. Don't know what your monitors are, but no, its not worth it. In fact, it would be counter productive.

2. Only way to get more outs is to have an interface with more outs.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

''CTRL+F''
''types 'Please' ''
''Please not found''
''/Leaves thread''
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
''CTRL+F''
''types 'Please' ''
''Please not found''
''/Leaves thread''
Goodbye mom.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilhermelima95 View Post
I've got 3 questions that i would like you to answer.

1. Instead of connecting my audio interface directly to my studio monitors. Can i put a direct box in between? What i want to say is: connecting my interface's monitor outs to 2 different channels on a direct a box and then those 2 channels to my monitors via XLR cables. Is this worth it?
Not at all clear on what you're trying to accomplish. Normally there is no reason to insert anything in the line outputs feeding your monitors. The outputs on the Scarlett 1816 are on TRS balanced jacks. They can feed TRS balanced inputs, or be used with TRS to XLR cables if your monitors have only XLR inputs. There is no audio advantage of one over the other.

What do you mean by "direct box"? In the audio world, that terminology usually refers to to a device used to convert a low impedance microphone input to be able to accept a high-impedance "instrument" signal source (like a guitar pick-up). There are monitor control boxes that allow a single pair of monitors to be easily switched between different signal sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilhermelima95 View Post
2. How can i expand my outputs? (i have a focusrite scarlett 18i6 usb audio interface).
The Scarlett 1816 has (6) independent outputs:

1. The main "line" analog outputs, normally used to drive your powered monitors. (Outputs 1-2)

2. A pair of digital S/PDIF outputs (Output channels 5-6) on the RCA S/PDIF connector. These can be used to send a pair of digital channels to an external device (like the stereo digital input of a CD burner), or can be connected to a S/PDIF Interface to create a pair of independent analog "line" outputs to drive an analog device with a different signal then your "mains".

3. The stereo analog headphone outputs. Used for headphone monitoring or to create a headphone mix during tracking. (Outputs 3-4)

If you have a real need for a couple of independent audio channels, use the (2-channel) S/PDF output you already have.

If you need more than (6) independent outputs, you will have to change to a different interface.

Hope this addresses your questions.
Old 19th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Not at all clear on what you're trying to accomplish. Normally there is no reason to insert anything in the line outputs feeding your monitors. The outputs on the Scarlett 1816 are on TRS balanced jacks. They can feed TRS balanced inputs, or be used with TRS to XLR cables if your monitors have only XLR inputs. There is no audio advantage of one over the other.

What do you mean by "direct box"? In the audio world, that terminology usually refers to to a device used to convert a low impedance microphone input to be able to accept a high-impedance "instrument" signal source (like a guitar pick-up). There are monitor control boxes that allow a single pair of monitors to be easily switched between different signal sources.

The Scarlett 1816 has (6) independent outputs:

1. The main "line" analog outputs, normally used to drive your powered monitors. (Outputs 1-2)

2. A pair of digital S/PDIF outputs (Output channels 5-6) on the RCA S/PDIF connector. These can be used to send a pair of digital channels to an external device (like the stereo digital input of a CD burner), or can be connected to a S/PDIF Interface to create a pair of independent analog "line" outputs to drive an analog device with a different signal then your "mains".

3. The stereo analog headphone outputs. Used for headphone monitoring or to create a headphone mix during tracking. (Outputs 3-4)

If you have a real need for a couple of independent audio channels, use the (2-channel) S/PDF output you already have.

If you need more than (6) independent outputs, you will have to change to a different interface.

Hope this addresses your questions.
Thanks a lot for your answer! You were very clear! I
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search