Next piece of gear to buy.
guilhermelima95
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Gear interested

Next piece of gear to buy.

Hi there,

My question is simple, what should i buy next for my home recoeding studio? I already have an audio interface, studio monitors, a dinamic mic and 250 coins to spend on gear. What should i get?
Here is what i have in mind: a compressor (but i am about to doscard this possibility) or a control surface (because i hate point and click) or a cool rack direct box. what do you think? any suggestions?
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Gear maniac

What sort of music do u write?
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Gear maniac

I notice from ur other compressor thread that u normally have guitar / vocals / bass / synth / drums...

My genuine advice is to think about the item that u will have the most fun with... Having fun / enjoying writing music is the best way to write good music IMO...

Such items could include: fx pedals; hardware synth (if u don't have any already); a random new instrument?!?

Something that may find a use on almost any of the things u record is one or two new fx pedals (guitar style, but these can be great on a variety of instruments)... Whether it's delay, fuzz, wah, verb... Whatever u feel... U can set up an fx loop similar to how I suggested u set up a comp in the other post. You can also record raw with fx if u like...

I'm a synth nut myself... I'd recommend a cheap mono or cheap poly synth too, but hey: that might not suit ur goals at all...

So yeah, have a think about what u'd enjoy using rather than what u need - u already have the bare essentials... [edit: although half decent headphones are not on your list... Boring but important!!]
guilhermelima95
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for your opinion, but i was talking about studio gear like comps, eqs, etc. I'v got no need for another intrument or more effects.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear maniac

Ahh ok... Well it's a tuff one. 250 (us / eu?) isn't much money for those types of items... Since you're keen on compression / eq, you could look at some second hand gear (eg Orban stuff which is affordable, but decent enough if it's in good condition)... It's probably your best bet for a purchase that isn't instantally surpassed by what your computer can do...
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear interested

On that budget, these are some things you might NEED depending on what you're up to.......here's my three cents:

***Mic Preamp - depending on the interface you have, you might not need to pay for this...yet.
***Recording Monitoring - (headphones, mixer, cables) make sure you can hear everything you need to hear when Recording, WITHOUT letting the Mics hear it. I recommend having a second mic setup into a mixer - one mic to Record and one mic to monitor in headphones. (This is very important if RECORDING is your thing and you're stuck using your DAW to monitor - the digital realm presents horrible latency issues that make the "Recording vibe" very difficult to obtain)
***Recording Booth - do you have the space? This seriously saves lives.
***Large-Diaphragm Condenser Mic - this paired with a popshield will mean A LOT LESS EQing
***Control Surface - check out the Behringer BCF2000 and BCR2000, also M-Audio Keystation 61es for your price range...you will fall in love.
***DI Box - very necessary if you want to record Keyboards or other direct instruments (even guitars).
***Subwoofer - if you don't already have one, this may or may not be essential depending on your project types.
***Better Computer - depends on what you have!
***Bigger/Denser/Additional Computer Monitor - you need to see what you're working on comfortably, and it needs to not slow you down.
***DAW - do you even have one? I recommend Ableton if you have the money, but that is nothing more than a personal preference.
***Outboard Gear - Compressors, EQs, Effects, etc... I wouldn't waste tooo much time with these if you're using a DAW. Wait until you have a lot more than 250...then it will be well-worth-it.
***Nice Chair - perhaps the most important piece of equipment in any Studio

I know I'm forgetting something, but there's some stuff to look at. Again, it all depends on what you'll be doing and what is most important for your functionality. :D
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Get some software. Unless your dead set on analog, you can get some really great plug-ins for $250.
guilhermelima95
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337 View Post
On that budget, these are some things you might NEED depending on what you're up to.......here's my three cents:

***Mic Preamp - depending on the interface you have, you might not need to pay for this...yet.
***Recording Monitoring - (headphones, mixer, cables) make sure you can hear everything you need to hear when Recording, WITHOUT letting the Mics hear it. I recommend having a second mic setup into a mixer - one mic to Record and one mic to monitor in headphones. (This is very important if RECORDING is your thing and you're stuck using your DAW to monitor - the digital realm presents horrible latency issues that make the "Recording vibe" very difficult to obtain)
***Recording Booth - do you have the space? This seriously saves lives.
***Large-Diaphragm Condenser Mic - this paired with a popshield will mean A LOT LESS EQing
***Control Surface - check out the Behringer BCF2000 and BCR2000, also M-Audio Keystation 61es for your price range...you will fall in love.
***DI Box - very necessary if you want to record Keyboards or other direct instruments (even guitars).
***Subwoofer - if you don't already have one, this may or may not be essential depending on your project types.
***Better Computer - depends on what you have!
***Bigger/Denser/Additional Computer Monitor - you need to see what you're working on comfortably, and it needs to not slow you down.
***DAW - do you even have one? I recommend Ableton if you have the money, but that is nothing more than a personal preference.
***Outboard Gear - Compressors, EQs, Effects, etc... I wouldn't waste tooo much time with these if you're using a DAW. Wait until you have a lot more than 250...then it will be well-worth-it.
***Nice Chair - perhaps the most important piece of equipment in any Studio

I know I'm forgetting something, but there's some stuff to look at. Again, it all depends on what you'll be doing and what is most important for your functionality. :D
Thanks a lot for your opinion! I will think about buying a control surface or a direct box, or both(if i eventually get more money).
guilhermelima95
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear interested

I've devided to buy a direct box. I am thinking in buying a 4 i/o diect box (i have the SM Pro Audio Q-Di in mind). What i want to do is this: plugging in my guitar to the channel 1 TR input and then XLR out to my audioterface XLR in 1; plugging in my mic to the channel 2 TR input and XLR out to my interface XLR in 2 and then monitor out 1 and 2 of my interface to the TR in 3 and 4 of the direct box and XLR out to both of my monitors. What do you think of this?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search