Login / Register

whats the best way to do a youtube guitar cover?
New Reply
Subscribe
LaoTzu
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear maniac

whats the best way to do a youtube guitar cover?

im currently transcribing a dio tune and im going to be using studio one to record whats the best way to sync up my guitar playing and the video at the same time?

~Lao Tzu~
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Use a guide mic (either the camera's own one, or plug one in if it's that kind), then when you're done, zoom in and match the pro recorded soundtrack with the guide track manually. You can also do the old school thing, and clap your hands at the start, then match the clap sound's peak to the moment when your palms are connected on the screen.
Maybe others know something more sophisticated or Studio One specific method.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

LaoTzu
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear maniac

the current setup i have is an roland octacapture with a seinhiesser e906 for the guitar cab i might have a condensor (rode NT2-A) further away aswell. ill be using my logitech HD webcam the c910 it has an inbuilt mic aswell. so ill use that thats an interesting idea for the clapping thats new to me.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Clapper boards are only a hundred years old.
That's how the old filmmakers sync'ed audio to film.
Still works today.

Even a hand clap works.
LaoTzu
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear maniac

well i wanted mainly recording advice and eqing advice so its not out of sync and so you can hear my guitar tone distinctively over the top without making the track sound quiet
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

You can record and mix the audio whatever way you want, like you would usually do, then you just put the video and the mixed and mastered sound together in the end. I can't say anything specific without hearing a sample of you playing the tune. Will you play over a backing track or is it a solo guitar arrangement?
LaoTzu
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

its holy diver by dio ill be tracking the ryhtym and lead seperatley. as two tracks. but id like the original in the background
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

The problem with that is the original guitars will get in the way of your tracks. You can make EQ cuts to the original track to make your guitars sit better on top of it, but it's not ideal. Those stacked rhythm guitar tracks are pretty prominent in that song.
If I were you, I would try to make the drum and bass tracks from scratch (program drums and bass, or play bass on your guitar and use an octaver plugin), and play the guitars over that backing. You need a band, man! lol
LaoTzu
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

ive done this before and i did all the drums in midi its just to say i can do these songs. last time i did this it took me two months to program midi to an andy timmons tune falling down. it takes way to long when all i wanna do is play guitar.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu View Post
ive done this before and i did all the drums in midi its just to say i can do these songs. last time i did this it took me two months to program midi to an andy timmons tune falling down. it takes way to long when all i wanna do is play guitar.
Yeah I hear ya. Programming drums can get tedious pretty quick. You could try to attack the original track with EQ cuts and see how much the original guitars disappear. The lead vocals will suffer too though, among other things.
LaoTzu
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderwet View Post
Yeah I hear ya. Programming drums can get tedious pretty quick. You could try to attack the original track with EQ cuts and see how much the original guitars disappear. The lead vocals will suffer too though, among other things.
thats not so bad since its about my guitar playing and not the backing track. and that verses redoing the whole track is just so much better.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search