gear set up
jarrett4real
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

gear set up

Hey guys i just wanna start off by saying im a complete newbie when it comes to audio...but i am sitting on some pretty decent equipment. Heres a rundown of my current setup:
Apogee big ben master clock
apogee rosetta 800(96k version)
dangerous d box
digi design 003
api a2d
M audio octane
2 yamaha hsm 80s

my question is too whoever is out there; whats the smartest way to set all of this up and utilize each piece to max potential? Now i know im going to run the rosetta through adat in/out on the digi003. And the Api a2d through the spdif connection on the 003. where im confused is how am i going to bring my dbox into play?...mainly for monitoring purposes. The summing aspect of the dbox ill tackle later on down the road. And then theres the big ben...from what i understand i am able to clock up to six pieces with this thing. So my question to anyone with more knowledge...whats the best way to clock all of these devices to the big ben. I know im going to have to probably run those bnc cables all over the place. But again im just unclear on the exact configuration. if someone could help me out and expain how im going to set all of this up, and monitor it at the same time thatd be awesome. thanks
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear nut

All your digital gear need to get a clock (sync) from your Big Ben.

So.

Big Ben word clock
out 1 -> 003 (world clock in)
out 2 -> Apogee Rosetta (world clock in)
out 3 -> Api (world clock in) if you want to use this digital. You can use it as a analog pre as well. (then analog out 1,2 -> 003 line in 1,2)
out 4 -> M audio octane (word clock in)

Remember to set all digital units to slave. 003, you will find this in the digi software im sure (dont know the unit well)

And then the preamps.

M Audio Octane Analog out -> Agogee rosetta Analog in
Then Rosetta adat out - 003 adat in

- API spdif out -> 003 spdif in
2nd option : Api analog out -> 003 LIne in 1,2.

then the monitors.
- 003 main out (monitor main L,R) -> Yamaha 80s.

Then you will have 14 mic pres (003 = 4x, maudio =8x, api =2x)

I would use the Dangerous d-box as the monitor section. But its easier to use the 003 to start with. If you want to use the d-dox then you need to :

003 adat out -> Apogee rosette adat in -> Apogee rosette analog out -> d-box analog in. D-box monitor out -> yamaha 80s.

The converters in rosetta is alot better than in the 003. So it would be clever to use this unit to its max.

Hope ut helps. i dont know if this is the best way to do it but at least its a solution =)

003 is a fine interface, but with the rosetta,d-box and api you could maybe be better off with a smother interface. Like a RME raydat. (all digital-ADAT) so then you could use the converters in Rosetta,dbox and api to its max.

good luck mate. And where did steal all this nice gear?
jarrett4real
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the reply and input! i brought the rosetta and the ben off one of my friends for a really good deal. he upgraded his setup with an ad/da 16x. And the digi 003 and octane i brought from another friend on the cheap as well. He just gave up on audio and wanted to get something for those two pieces. the rest ive just saved and brought off sweet water or ebay. Theres still a huge laundry list of analog stuff i want to buy, but i figure for now thats a more than decent setup for someone like me to get started with.

A few questions though; do i need to get those bnc cables to synch everything to the big ben? my friend who sold me the rose and ben told me im going to need those to terminate(a term im still unclear about)...? And the octane i dont plan on using its conversion, im just going to use it to track a drum kit. mainly overheads room mics,and toms. the kick and snare i want the api to handle. So i shouldnt need to clock it at that point if its just being used as an analog pre....right?

and then theres the a2d...im starting to realize it wasnt a wise purchase. because i brought it not just for its preamps which i know are awesome, but for its conversion as well. but with my setup im pretty sure theres no way to get that digital audio to the rosetta, while using its analog section at the same time. So bassically im not going to be able to monitor what the api is doing via the rosetta into my d box. Unless i do as you advised and use the 003 for monotoring....right? But its just bugging me knowing id have to use the da section on the 003 when i have a better box in my rack.

Ahh im so lost lol....and i havent even hit record yet, or brought cables to hook all this stuff up yet. but anyway man thanks for the reply...hope i didnt sound like a complete moron. and if you can shed anymore light on my situation thatd be awesome. Again thank you
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear nut

You need one bnc cable for each unit you want to sync. And yes you dont need a bnc cable from rosetta to the octane if you want to use that analog. Its just for digital sync.

The Api, you need to bring that into the 003. Or else you want be able to record the audio. Or you can also use that analog.

Like i mention in the first post, for your setup, i think the 003 its not the ideal interface for you. You have kick ass converters and fine preamps. I would recommend to find a interface with more ADAT connections. Like i said : RME Raydat.
Then you can use all your kick ass converters and have the interface go full digital.

Just remember, all the preamps you want to record needs to go into a interface (in this case the 003).

And you can 003 adat out -> rosetta -> Dbox.

And that means that you basically use the 003 as a digital interface. No converting.
And again, a RME Raydat would be easier for you.
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear nut

And yes **** the api and sell it cheap to me
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search