Upward Compression
New Reply
Subscribe
10ndayii
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear interested

Upward Compression

what does the attack , release , ratio affect in upward compression (soft or loud passages )
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

In Upward compression, the parameters affect the same things as regular compression, so attack still affects how quickly the compression hits, release still affects how quickly the compression comes off after it hits etc. But rather than making the louder parts softer, you are making the softer parts louder.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear maniac

Upwards compression has a short attack and release so that only the peaks are pushed down, while the less prominent details are allowed to be pushed upwards. An example is if you have a chain consisting of reverb>compression. It pushes the reverb down with the instrument, but when the instrument stops playing, the compression lets go, and the reverb is allowed to breathe without cluttering with the instrument's sound. Then there's the magic: You copy the track, and leave it uncompressed. Then you will have the transients of the untouched track, and the details of the compressed one! More of EVERYTHING! :D It's called upwards compression because it's used in a manner to push the overall sound up without taking your beloved transients away. The ratio decides how strong you want the effect to be.

I think that sums it up.
10ndayii
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear interested

I understand downward compression how the ratio attack e.t.c affect the sound but if I should rephrase my question it will be . . . " how does upward compression work - it increases the amplitude of soft sounds the converse of downward compression . . . Now since I now know that am wondering if in upward compression the attack , release e.t.c alters the soft sounds rather the loud sounds that's my question . "
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ndayii View Post
Now since I now know that am wondering if in upward compression the attack , release e.t.c alters the soft sounds rather the loud sounds that's my question . "
Attack and release always "alter" whatever is happening above the threshold. It can either be just the transient peaks, or the softer "body" parts of the sound, depending on where you set your threshold and attack/release controls. Since the peaks always get above the threshold first, you'll have to use a longer attack time to be able to have them more or less unaltered, then you can tailor the sustain of the attacked (compressed) parts with the release.

Check out this great article on comparing upward and downward compression and their curves, among other things: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/...-and-expander/
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ndayii View Post
I understand downward compression how the ratio attack e.t.c affect the sound but if I should rephrase my question it will be . . . " how does upward compression work - it increases the amplitude of soft sounds the converse of downward compression . . . Now since I now know that am wondering if in upward compression the attack , release e.t.c alters the soft sounds rather the loud sounds that's my question . "
Upwards and downwards compression are just two different techniques, and can be done with the same compressor. There are no "upward" or "downward" compressors that do just one thing. The attack and release does just the same thing whatever compression you use. The only difference is that you set the attack and release to only affect the loudest signals, and then increase the gain of the whole track. Attack and release has the same effect, whatever compression technique you use: Deciding how quickly the compression kicks in, and how quickly it stops.
10ndayii
16th June 2012
Old 16th June 2012
Gear interested

And how does a fast attack distort signals
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search