I need help setting up a mixing template on pro tools
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

I need help setting up a mixing template on pro tools

Hey guys I'm an engineer and I need help with mixing. Basically, what I need help with is organizing my plugins on pro tools 10. I have Waves Mercury Version 8 as well as T-Racks 3 Deluxe, some PSP plugins, and IsoTope 4. I have all these plugins and pretty much know what all of them do. But it seems like I am my worst critic and am having a hard time listening to good quality in my recordings. I know it's there I just don't hear it, everyone else that comes into my studio says it sounds great. So is there anyone out there that can help set me up with a mixing template for pro tools what should be the order of plugins in my inserts. I know that plugins vary from artist to artist and situation to situation but I really need help. I feel like I am wasting too much time trying to make it sound good. Trial and error is not working for me. I have been wanting to go into a professional studio and see how they run there sessions and the plugins they use but haven't been able to. So again if there is anybody out there that can help me I would highly appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

A lot of professional studios will use outboard gear... but what I'll say applies to plugins too. You could go in and look at their chain. They might be running a compressor into an EQ. There's a reason they've run the compressor in to the EQ, and not the EQ into the compressor. It's good you know what your plugins do, but keep practising and learn what effects they will have on other plugins that are on the chain, as well as what they do individually.

Example: Dave Pensado often talks about doing cuts in EQ, before compression and then boosts after compression. He cleans the audio up first. compresses. then basically uses the second EQ to pretty it up.

I wouldn't worry about spending too much time "making it sound good". After all, that's the name of the game really.

With all this said, I'm not sure it's worth doing a template, because every mix will demand different effects, and different orders in the chain.

A good thing to do could be to just set deadlines with your mixing. Otherwise you'll constantly find faults, and you'll never ever finish mixing that one track. I think most people who mix are perfectionists like that, myself included. Deadlines help.
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested
Personally I don't think mixing to the same template will help you any, as you said yourself every band and artist and even song is different so you have to approach any mix at its own sound and start from there.

It sounds as if you are unsure of your own work flow. This is an important skill to develop but perhaps if you are willing to pay for all these plugins to mix with then paying for a couple of hours with a respected local engineer and get to grips with a couple of approaches to workflow and plugin use would be a smart investment (and not that expensive).
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

Correction

okay guys what i'm really trying to say is not that I really want it as a template I really want to have a foundation and then I can build from that give it whatever it needs based on the song and the artist
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

yea only template i have is 48 tracks, 8 buss tracks, 8 aux tracks and 1 pre-fader track and 1 refrence track. anything other than that is always a give and go.. no point in adding any type of plug-in's yet or anything cause i have no idea what the mix is going to need.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search