New Reply
Subscribe
Newguy23
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear interested

Help with Podcast Equipment!

Hello!

I need help with something. I need to set up a home recording studio with augmented voice (my voice needs to sound inhuman, like a demon, using a software). I've already purchased the shure58 (I'm told it's the best thing to get), but I'm a novice and now I'm finding out that something in between is needed to get the best audio quality.

Some people are suggesting XLR to USB like Blue Icicle or X2U and others are suggesting mixers like Behringer 802. I'm not an audio expert and I would really appreciate your help.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy23 View Post
Hello!

I need help with something. I need to set up a home recording studio with augmented voice (my voice needs to sound inhuman, like a demon, using a software). I've already purchased the shure58 (I'm told it's the best thing to get), but I'm a novice and now I'm finding out that something in between is needed to get the best audio quality.

Some people are suggesting XLR to USB like Blue Icicle or X2U and others are suggesting mixers like Behringer 802. I'm not an audio expert and I would really appreciate your help.
do you mean a shure sm58?

actually it was built for live vocals....but it will do its job!!

well, often people use usb mics for podcasting...such as audio technica at2020USB...

but if you already have purchased a normal xlr mic you will need some kind of audio interface....

those xlr to usb cables..are little audio interfaces..i have seen/tried/heard a couple of them and i think they sound horrible!!

that behringer mixer has an built in audio interface...quality is dubios..i guess not good either as it is from behringer...but i have never heard that particular mixer ...the good thing about it is you have a small analog mixer....if you have some instruments or other gear you want to broadcast you can mix it pretty easy live...

regarding sound quality i'd still recommend a "normal" usb/firewire audio-interface...depending on how much money you want to spend..id recommend the new avid mbox3(maybe mbox3 mini)...pre's and AD's are VERY nice in that pricerange!!

if you dont want to spend so much money have a look at used items in ebay or so....focusrite/m-audio..

hope that helped!
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear maniac

Echo Audio interfaces are great value for money, far better than any Behringer stuff. Check out the Heil line of mics too. A PR30 would do well.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear interested

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Decided to return the SM58 and just get a blue yeti. I know SM58 can sound better, but I think Yeti's simplicity will be better for me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search