USB or FIREWIRE ? M-AUDIO OR FOCUSRITE ?
beleza
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

USB or FIREWIRE ? M-AUDIO OR FOCUSRITE ?

I Have a small budget of 500 dollars and I want to get some "gear", I have an iMac 2011 , 4 go Ram, 21.

And I want to complete it with an audio interface , and don't know differences of sound quality between USB and FW.

Also I need to know if there's a difference between focusrite Scarlet and Focusrite saffire 6 usb ?

I record also guitar, but my budget doesn't allow me to go far , so akg perception would be a good deal ?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

From that random ADD post....I'll try and say...

USB vs FW doesn't help sound quality... transfer rates at high track counts maybe....but it doesn't do a damn thing for sound...it's 1's and 0's.

Cheap interfaces are pretty much all the same from a sound standpoint...

AKG perception mic for guitar....Acoustic?? Electric??? what??
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

You should provide more info.

Based on your thread title I'd say focusrise over maudio. Similar quality, with my experience focusrite is very stable USB is probably fine for you but seriously we need more info.

How much IO do you need?

If you only plan on recording vocals and guitar then the scarlett 2i2 with an AT2020 Mic and an SM57 Mic should be enough to start out. Going by your $500 budget. Add a pair of cheap studio headphones for about $30-50 since monitors may go over your budget.

If you need more than 2 ins then I'd say go with a refurbished Saffire Pro 40 from proaudiostar.com , that interface will give you 8 mic Pres to work with down the line.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
beleza
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie J View Post
From that random ADD post....I'll try and say...

USB vs FW doesn't help sound quality... transfer rates at high track counts maybe....but it doesn't do a damn thing for sound...it's 1's and 0's.

Cheap interfaces are pretty much all the same from a sound standpoint...

AKG perception mic for guitar....Acoustic?? Electric??? what??

Well thanks for the quick answer, in other forums it takes a while hhh

I need a mic for my nylon accoustic guitar, I play flamenco most of time so I need it to understand the hard strings playing.
beleza
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
You should provide more info.

Based on your thread title I'd say focusrise over maudio. Similar quality, with my experience focusrite is very stable USB is probably fine for you but seriously we need more info.

How much IO do you need?

If you only plan on recording vocals and guitar then the scarlett 2i2 with an AT2020 Mic and an SM57 Mic should be enough to start out. Going by your $500 budget. Add a pair of cheap studio headphones for about $30-50 since monitors may go over your budget.

If you need more than 2 ins then I'd say go with a refurbished Saffire Pro 40 from proaudiostar.com , that interface will give you 8 mic Pres to work with down the line.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Thanks for your great answers , by now I use my interface for only accoustic guitar mic , a bass and electric guitar , I have a midi keyboard.
For the I/O I don't really want too much, Two Phantom inputs and I never record instruments simultaneously.

And about monitors I found a couple of old monitors "SOLID" who really sounds good , but I don't now how to plug them on my iMac output ? (until i get my sound interface )
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
Thanks for your great answers , by now I use my interface for only accoustic guitar mic , a bass and electric guitar , I have a midi keyboard.
For the I/O I don't really want too much, Two Phantom inputs and I never record instruments simultaneously.

And about monitors I found a couple of old monitors "SOLID" who really sounds good , but I don't now how to plug them on my iMac output ? (until i get my sound interface )
depends on which input the monitors have...

youll either need a 3.5mm jack to double xlr or to doble 6.3mm jack...

the problem is, you cant have the signal way balanced with a mini jack...

but you will get sound!!

cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search