Making a guitar take be perfectly in time
New Reply
Subscribe
Abula
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear interested

Making a guitar take be perfectly in time

I have recorded several guitar takes as close to the beat as I possibly can, but obviously I want them to be absolutely spot on. Absolutely perfect timing is essential because I want to use some rhythmic delay. My friend is in a band and said that he has seen someone with pro tools just click one button and the entire guitar part shifted slightly so it was perfectly in beat. I don't mind if it doesn't feel natural, timing right now is most important to me.

He may have been using a plugin or something, but either way, how do you do this? I have googled and searched all over the place but the wrong articles keep coming up and I just can't find information on it.

The BPM is 95, and here are the 5 loops I've recorded. I've left a little bit at the end of each one so it doesn't cut off straight away. These are the direct input recordings, no effects at all.

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2166328/Takes.rar

How do I warp these so they are perfectly in time?

(Or if someone has the tools necessary, would you be my hero and do it for me please? - But please also write how you did it so I can help myself in future)

Also, there is a solo, I've written 8 different solos and I'm going to mess around with them, here is 1 for an example -

[2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2166328/Solo%20example.wav

Thanks a lot, any help from any of you would be massively appreciated! I'm recording into an FF400.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Not sure what the tool is called in Pro Tools but Sonar calls it Audio Snap. It works best with transient type music like drum parts. Sustained guitar has not much in the way of peaks so is a crap shoot as to what will happen. But a choppy guitar part can work. It can add artifacts and the best way to avoid this is only apply the rendering to parts that seem to need it.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear maniac

Maybe he's refering to Elastic Audio? That's protools' audio quantizing function. Try googling that that.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Gearslutz App
Abula
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks a lot, that was actually exactly what I was looking for. I'm achieving good results in the last 5 minutes using FL Studio's slicer actually, but "Elastic Audio" might be better somehow.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear addict

ableton live's warping can do this easily too.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

PT elastic audio is nice, for rhythmic parts with well defined attacks Beat detective (or tab to transient as an alternative) would work fine also and you won't stretch the file so audio would stay intact. Just separate the main notes and use "quantize to grid" or do it manually, then fade everything.
Here's the strum quantized to 16th at 95 without time stretch.
A.
PS: strictly quantizing sometimes kills the part feel IMO.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Strum95.wav (2.78 MB, 14 views)
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

melodyne can quantize as well. not destructive like slicing up wav files.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Editing is non-destructive in PT
A.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search