Doing the Dr. Luke Guitar Loop Thing in Pro Tools 10?
Stamos6669
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear nut

Doing the Dr. Luke Guitar Loop Thing in Pro Tools 10?

Hey everyone!

Right now I'm working on a project that calls for that really tight Dr. Luke-style production. However I am an absolute Pro Tools 10 NOOB and I really need your help here! This is basically the situation:

From what it seems, Dr. Luke takes a really solid take of a guitar riff and that guitar riff repeats ad nauseum throughout the entire song. However it's the EXACT same take every time. After glimpsing his track screen in various vids, I've come to the conclusion that he just recorded a super tight guitar take (probably got it really tight via the VocalAlign plug-in he loves) and then loops it. How does one do this? I have a really tight eight note guitar riff and I want to use that take and loop it throughout the entire song. There's only a couple parts where that riff is NOT to be used, and I can just cut it out there. How does one do this?

Sorry, this probably seems like a really beginner question but I'm really clueless how to loop this one take over and over again and make sure it's in perfect time (I'm extremely OCD about timing haha).

Thank you SO much in advance!
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

On PT10 I'd use the elastic time mode to stretch the loop so it matches your song tempo, move the transients to fit your groove (you could do this with beat detective also) and then commit to audio and loop it.
A.
PS: no need to get VocAlign BTW
Stamos6669
24th June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
Gear nut

Awesome! Thank you!

Couldn't I also just manually put in a tempo (I have a click track at 132 BPM) and the Grid will set itself up accordingly? Then I can just copy/paste to my heart's content? It seems so simply but wouldn't this work perfectly?
24th June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
Gear interested

What I would do is convert the track to elastic audio (click on the tab at the bottom of the same box that has your record, mute, solo buttons etc. and click on polyphonic - the other options are for different types of recordings mostly, but for this stick with polyphonic) once converted, click on where it says "waveform" (unless you have changed it), which is located 2 boxes above the one where you clicked polyphonic, and change it to "warp".

From here you can click and drag the transients of the audio and snap them to the grid (as long as you are in grid mode according to the box at the top left of your screen) to match the tempo as you please, seeing as how this is just a small loop (If having trouble with them staying put, double click on the first transient, and one farther down the audio, so you are working inside those 2 marks).

Once in place where you want it, click on "warp" again, and change it back to "waveform". from here you can click where you want to cut it, press command-E (I think it is Control-E on windows?) If you want to loop this, click on the section so it is all selected, and press command-shift-L (perhaps control-shift-L on windows?) from the loop menu, just type in how many bars you want it to loop for, and you should be all set!

I hope this is what you were asking for
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search