Phantom Power Concerns
New Reply
Subscribe
Earthling Mortal
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Phantom Power Concerns

I recently purchased a Samson S-Phantom for use with my CAD Equitek E-100 condenser mic and my Tascam Portastudio 424 MkIII.

The E-100s seem to be very picky mics. The manual says it needs 12-14 hours of preemptive phantom power charge (NiCad rechargable batteries) before recording. It needs a standard amount of 48 volts with the "capability of supplying at least 8 mA. of current." The mA doesn't seem to be advertised for the S-Phantom, so I don't know how to determine if the device even fits my needs.

I did some further research on the S-Phantom and someone pointed out that it doesn't have DC blocking capacitors. Apparently this means that they can do damage to preamps. Does this mean it can potentially harm my Portastudio?

I'm just starting to get into recording so I can't imagine why it would do damage to a preamp, so maybe someone can explain that to me.

Thank you.
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

A simple answer to your question is yes. Just imagine 48 volts being fed into your mic inputs and then that being amplified by the gain of the mic pre. The 48 volts was never intended to get into the mic pre electronics, thus, the blocking caps. You could retrofit them obviously. And while you are at that, you should also install suppressor diodes to deal with the turn on spike created when PP is first switched on. This stuff should already be included in your PP unit though - no idea why it apparently isn't.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search