Constant distortion
Pedantic Sound
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Constant distortion

I'm just messing around on my ESP Viper 401 recording into my Mbox 3 mini with PT10 and no matter what level I try to record I'm hearing distortion. I'm no where near clipping, I'm the sig/clip LED isn't red on the interface and the meters in PT have a good 3db of headroom easy. I can't figure out why I'm getting a distorted sound. If I hit one string at a time softly, there is no clipping, but any strumming or even hard picking of one note causes it (again meters never even come close to red).

Any ideas?
Pedantic Sound
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm thinking it's a problem with my guitar, just tested and it's not distorting on my bass or acoustic electric =/.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
I'm thinking it's a problem with my guitar, just tested and it's not distorting on my bass or acoustic electric =/.
Cool. nice on starting at the source and finding the problem. guitars are pretty easy to repair the electronics on. If you can run a DAW you can fix a guitar.

If you have active pups and 30 switches on it then...

But you should be able to buy a $10 soldering iron from radio shack, read for 20min, and get started isolating the problem in the guitar.

good luck (not sarcasm)
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Have you checked the battery in the guitar? If it has active pickups and the battery is low you can sometimes get that kind of sound
Pedantic Sound
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by savyurrecords View Post
Have you checked the battery in the guitar? If it has active pickups and the battery is low you can sometimes get that kind of sound
And that fixed it, thank you! Completely forgot humbuckers use a 9v, d'oh!
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, EMG pickups use batteries, they usually last a year or even more, but I change them every half to 3/4 a year, just to be on the safe side. When the voltage drops because of battery drainage, the built-in preamp doesn't have the headroom needed to produce the entire input signal peak-to-peak anymore, so it starts clipping, that's why we hear the distortion.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search