Hooking Up NS-10M's to QSC MX-1500 Amp + Fast Track Pro Interface
New Reply
Subscribe
lovehigh
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear interested

Hooking Up NS-10M's to QSC MX-1500 Amp + Fast Track Pro Interface

So I just purchased a pair of NS-10's and have a QSC MX-1500A Amp interfacing with my workstation through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Pardon my green horn, noob ness but I need a few questions answered in regards to hooking them up. So I understand that I will run speaker wire from the terminals to the amp, does it matter what gauge the speaker wire is? And as far as plugging the amp to the interface, do I need to be using an unbalanced 1/4" TRS to go out from the TRS 1/2 out of Fast Track into the 1/4" unbalanced inputs on the back of the amp? Are there any other precautions to be had with making sure that I don't overpower the speakers? Again, apologies for these uber simple questions but we all have to start somewhere I guess.

Thank you.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

If you haven't blown them yet.lol...just kidding.

Speaker wire, i use 12 gauge for 12 foot runs,i wouldn't go lighter.
Thicker is better if your going to go more than 15'

The QSC-MX series have balanced/unbalanced imputs,
The Fast Track Pro also has balanced/unbalanced outs, so i would use 1/4" balanced TRS cables from the interface to the amp if you can.
If you can't,keep the unbalanced cables short.(3 feet if you can.)

Put the switch on the back of the amp on parallel.

Don't run the amp to high,its better to have a good signal from the interface going to the amp rather than a weak imput signal and the amp cranked up to 2 oclock.
Keep an eye on the clip leds on the amp,you don't want those to light.As long as they don't light when your volume control on the interface is at the maximum volume you will ever listen at,your good.
If they do,bring down the maximum output levels from the interface and increase the amp volume output instead.
Balancing that will give you proper gain staging.

Hope that helps.
lovehigh
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Thank You Cavern! Right on point, appreciate it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search