New Reply
Subscribe
Eternal_One
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

Inquiry Regarding Duplicating Then Panning Vox

Was curious...

If I have a vocal, duplicate it twice (now I have three vocals), and leave one up the middle, pan one left and pan one right, and all three vocals have the same inserts (EQ, compressor, etc.), is this making the vocal wider, thicker, fuller, etc. or am I simply just boosting the volume of the overall vocal?

I ask because, I am assuming having a vocal to the left, in the middle, and to the right would make it fuller considering it's not just in the middle of the mix anymore. I do like the way it has been sounding but I'm not sure if it's really doing much besides boosting the volume of the overall vocal.

If the vocal is duplicated twice, would adjusting the pitch of the duplicates, let's say, boosting a couple cents up on one take and a couple cents down on another take provide a different feel? I haven't tried this but have been suggested it. Any input?

Is another or a better alternative to simply do multiple takes of the vocal and then pan one take left, one take right, and one up the middle and adjust volume levels respectively till the vocal sounds how I would want it? Skill really comes into play here because you need to really nail your additional takes... they need to sound like the original take to achieve great results.

Any advice/suggestions?
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

If you simply duplicate the tracks it just makes it louder, thats it. If you put a delay on one you can get a slightly bigger sound provided you delay enough to not encounter major phasing issues.

There are many things you can do to a single vocal track to make it bigger, a 20-50ms mono or stereo delay with reverb and eq can do a lot to a single track when mixed together properly. The bast thing to do is multiple takes tho.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search