How do I create this sound/effect in logic pro 9?
newmusic11
Thread Starter
#1
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #1
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
How do I create this sound/effect in logic pro 9?

Hello,

I am in Logic Pro 9 and trying to find out how I can make this certain sound/effect... Nicki Minaj uses it a TON in her songs. It's like repeating the words really fast. It's an effect she uses, if you can check the song "Moment 4 Life" on iTunes store, click on the preview and at :24 seconds, where she says "put your drinks up" that whole verse or two, it like chops up her voice, repeating each first word..if you know what I mean.

I have been trying to figure this out forever lol.

thank you
#2
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #2
Gear nut
 

It's typically called a stutter effect where the vocal is chopped into slices and placed. You can do this manually like most pros would do or use a noise gate plugin.

Try Effectrix by Sugarbyte.. It has a nice Stutter/Gate effect.
newmusic11
Thread Starter
#3
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #3
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacuum View Post
It's typically called a stutter effect where the vocal is chopped into slices and placed. You can do this manually like most pros would do or use a noise gate plugin.

Try Effectrix by Sugarbyte.. It has a nice Stutter/Gate effect.
All I have to do is download this plug in for free, on voices in logic?
How do I add the plug in onto Logic once downloaded..?

Thank you
#4
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #4
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic11 View Post
All I have to do is download this plug in for free, on voices in logic?
How do I add the plug in onto Logic once downloaded..?

Thank you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUU3***Ga9E
#5
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
 

Library/Audio/Plugins/components

that's the Audio Unit folder.
next to them are the other plug-in formats.

Sugarbytes aren't free plugins btw.

other ways are to copy the vocal to a new track and slice it up with some fade ins and outs to mask the clicks.

automating mutes or Volume might have some uses too.

using a gate plug-in over the vocal, and feeding it's side chain input with a very simple clean square wave from a synth channel. or bursts of sampled of white noise. you need a gate with a side chain capability for that. Logics own has that for example.

so then whatever you play on that synth sound or sample sound, it will open the or close the gate.
you just route the channel with the synth/sampler on it to no output. then you don't hear the synth as well.
newmusic11
Thread Starter
#6
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #6
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
Library/Audio/Plugins/components

that's the Audio Unit folder.
next to them are the other plug-in formats.

Sugarbytes aren't free plugins btw.

other ways are to copy the vocal to a new track and slice it up with some fade ins and outs to mask the clicks.

automating mutes or Volume might have some uses too.

using a gate plug-in over the vocal, and feeding it's side chain input with a very simple clean square wave from a synth channel. or bursts of sampled of white noise. you need a gate with a side chain capability for that. Logics own has that for example.

so then whatever you play on that synth sound or sample sound, it will open the or close the gate.
you just route the channel with the synth/sampler on it to no output. then you don't hear the synth as well.
I'm still a beginner, is there a way that you could put this in simplest terms or laymans terms...i don't quite understand the fades in and outs and automating mutes/volume..
#7
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #7
#8
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
 

if you have a long audio track which is the vocal. you can snip bits out with scissor tools.

when you cut them though, the starts and ends tend to make a click. so you add a very small fade in and fade out to stop that happening.

mutes and solos are usually on your daw channels.
you can often record those on and off buttons by clicking them while recording automation. automation is just a fancy way of saying (record what I do). but with automation, you can often use a pen tool and add them in exactly. a mute on off is like a full cut to the volume of the vocal.

a gate does something similar. when it's open you hear the vocal.
when it's closed you don't.

gates are plug-ins and often they can listen to some (other) source (other than what they are gating on off .. e.g. the vocal) and use that signal to trigger the gate to switch in and out.

so if you sidechain triggered the gate from a bass guitar (for example) when ever you hit a note, the gate would be triggered to be open. The side chain is something you select in the plug-in. so you make it look at another source.. that could be another track which is playing.
that track (could) be a synth sound which you play from your keyboard and is another tpe of plug-in in your DAW.

that's also like a on off volume stutter effect then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic11 View Post
I'm still a beginner, is there a way that you could put this in simplest terms or laymans terms...i don't quite understand the fades in and outs and automating mutes/volume..
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
stereobot / Music Computers
1
djbizness / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
2
BreakonThru5 / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.