Mbox Studio set up
New Reply
Subscribe
Neodyne
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Mbox Studio set up

Hi, hopefully the great minds on the forum can help me set up my studio properly.
Basically i need to figure out the best way to wire all my gear and keep things as neat and easy to manage as possible. Here is a run down of what I have:
IMAC running lion x
Mbox Pro running pro tools 9
Korg Triton Classic
Access Virus XL Rack Synth
T.c electronics M-One XL Multi FX
T.C Electronics Triple C Compressor
Line 6 Pod Pro Version 1
Samson 32 band stereo EQ
Midiman 8x8 midi sport (needs repair)

Essentially I am a guitar player and use the stuff above for all the backing tracks and production.

Can anyone give me some guidance or even a diagram of where to wire everything?

Thanks in advance guys

Neodyne
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Before anything, I'd say buy a patch bay, and get the midisport repaired.
Neodyne
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks. In the process of getting it repaired.
Once that is done what did you have in mind??

Thanks Again
Neodyne
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I also forgot to add that I have an Avid Artist mix and an Axiom 25 midi keyboard. Oops.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Well, for all of your synths you'll want the MIDI going into the MidiSport, but you'll also want the audio outs to reach the MBox, so you can actually track the sounds from the synths... as you can't bounce midi. This is where a patchbay is very useful, because it'll allow you to easily switch between what you connect to the mbox. You'll set up your patchbay so that all of the inputs and outputs of your various pieces of outboard gear are connected to the back of it... just remember where everything is patched, labelling the patchbay is a VERY good idea... Keeping your midisport and your patchbay separate.

Once you have everything set up, you might have played a midi part into Logic, that you want to run through the triton. So using your midi ports in logic on the general midi track, you'll enable the triton. You'll then patch the triton's output into the mbox input. For example: Triton output L into mbox input 1, Triton output R into Mbox input 2. Then in Logic, either make 2 mono audio tracks (one set to input 1, the other set to input 2), or one stereo audio (input 1-2); making sure you're running your audio through the mbox, in your i/o settings. Once you've done this; record arm your midi track, and your audio tracks, hit record, and let logic play through. The midi information will be sent to the triton, which will put it out as audio, which then gets recorded back into logic... I hope I've made this easy to follow.

If you want to use your compressor on something: make the logic audio track's output 'output 1', then on the patchbay, patch mbox output 1, into compressor input; then from compressor output 1, into mbox input 1. Create a new audio track in Logic, with the input set to 1, and the output set to the stereo out. then record that track.

Also, the axiom and artist mix don't need to be connected to the patchbay, they are fine going through usb and ethernet... of course you could connect the axiom to the midisport if you wanted, but once it's all set up, you can actually use the triton as a midi controller.
Neodyne
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Mike but what i wanted to know was what the best way to connect everything would be. for example the Mbox has spdif. Can I use that for the FX to keep line inputs free?
Whats the best way to utilise the inserts.
Is there a way to wire everything so that I don't have to keep plugging stuff in and out?
Could I use the RCa input for the line 6
Also I am running Protools 9 if that helps.

Thanks again
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodyne View Post
Thanks Mike but what i wanted to know was what the best way to connect everything would be. for example the Mbox has spdif. Can I use that for the FX to keep line inputs free?
Whats the best way to utilise the inserts.
Is there a way to wire everything so that I don't have to keep plugging stuff in and out?
Could I use the RCa input for the line 6
Also I am running Protools 9 if that helps.

Thanks again
Hi
I use mbox pro as well. And I use a toneport gx as well. I patched the toneport into the rca ins on the mbox and use it to monitor. However, I have to turn off the mbox then plug in the usb from the toneport. Then start my audio app which in my case is Sonar X1. Sonar then see's the Toneport as the main interface. Then turn on the Mbox again.and use it as my monitor control. That is the way I do it. That was the only way I could get it to work using the Line6 processing. Not to sure about the reast of your gear, I'm MIdi dumb. But I suppose you could patch your comp into whichever inserts and keep them there. Then just turn on the comps when you need them.
Hope this helps.
Peace
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search