New Reply
Subscribe
thelube
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Head

What does tracking mean?

Hey there

Just been wondering for a long time what does tracking mean? Like tracking drums, tracking gtrs etc. I guess its something like overdubbing but I want to know the exact thing.

Cheers
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear interested

literally means recording (what your bands been practicing) committing them to tracks i.e. drum tracks, guitar tracks etc. probably should get a vet on here to verify but that's the context I've always heard it used in.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear nut

Ya, its just the process of turning your audio into "tracks"
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelube View Post
Hey there

Just been wondering for a long time what does tracking mean? Like tracking drums, tracking gtrs etc. I guess its something like overdubbing but I want to know the exact thing.
Cheers
it means recording

slang term from the days when the sound went to teh tracks on tape
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Head

"Recording" except you're putting things on "tracks".

//TB
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Banned

Okay, I'll play the ****...

What the hell are "stems"? Seriously....
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post

Stems are groups of tracks that are usually of a similar type...like you can create a stereo mix of the drums and that would be the drum stem. You could mix down all the vocal tracks and bgv tracks to a stereo mix and that would be your vocal stem. You could print these tracks with or without effects. Usually they have the effects with them.

Basically if you had all the stems, you could just bring up the faders to unity and have a pretty good sounding mix with a lot fewer tracks than the original mix.

Go here:

Audio Stems – Preparing And Printing | DV Magazine
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear addict

There can be two terms for tracking. One, stated here means literally recording in any sense. However, when I think of a "tracking session," I tend to consider that different then an "overdub" session. Basically, tracking is when you are recorded the first and often rhythm parts of a song. With a band this is generally when you have the whole band together playing to a click track or free-wheeling. To me, anything recorded while listening to the initial tracks is an overdub and for all intents and purposes can be considered different then tracking. It doesn't make that big of difference, but when the client and I are on the same page with these terms, it can help communicate what we are planning on doing in the studio (i.e. tracking means setup for multiple instruments and make templates for the session, and overdub means setting up for just the intended instrument and setup premixes).

Stems are essentially premixes of specific elements. So all 8-10 drum mics can be mixed down to a stereo "drum stem" which can be used by some mastering engineers (though many ME's I know still prefer good old regular 2-track mixes instead of having to deal with a bunch of stems). Stems are also used for remixes a lot. For example, I use to work with a dance/ club artist a lot, and when a DJ or remixer wanted to do a remix of a track, they didn't want all 32+ vocal tracks of vocals that we had, instead they only wanted to deal with 4 or 6 tracks. They usually got broken down into a lead vocal stem, verse BGV (BackGround Vocal) stem, hook BGV stem, and bridge stem (possibly more if harmonies or parts were complex enough to warranted it).

www.billyhickey.com
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHickey View Post
There can be two terms for tracking. One, stated here means literally recording in any sense. However, when I think of a "tracking session," I tend to consider that different then an "overdub" session. Basically, tracking is when you are recorded the first and often rhythm parts of a song. With a band this is generally when you have the whole band together playing to a click track or free-wheeling. To me, anything recorded while listening to the initial tracks is an overdub and for all intents and purposes can be considered different then tracking. It doesn't make that big of difference, but when the client and I are on the same page with these terms, it can help communicate what we are planning on doing in the studio (i.e. tracking means setup for multiple instruments and make templates for the session, and overdub means setting up for just the intended instrument and setup premixes).

Stems are essentially premixes of specific elements. So all 8-10 drum mics can be mixed down to a stereo "drum stem" which can be used by some mastering engineers (though many ME's I know still prefer good old regular 2-track mixes instead of having to deal with a bunch of stems). Stems are also used for remixes a lot. For example, I use to work with a dance/ club artist a lot, and when a DJ or remixer wanted to do a remix of a track, they didn't want all 32+ vocal tracks of vocals that we had, instead they only wanted to deal with 4 or 6 tracks. They usually got broken down into a lead vocal stem, verse BGV (BackGround Vocal) stem, hook BGV stem, and bridge stem (possibly more if harmonies or parts were complex enough to warranted it).

Thanks BIlly, Good breakdown Learned something new
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post

stems are the basic parts of a mix
vocal on one stem
chorous on another
drums on one
synths on one
brass/trumpets on one
etc

or else example 2:
woodwinds
brass
vocals
strings
percussion
synth
each on one stem

5-6 total should be enough for any mix

mix down all the mikes say for drums to one drum stem
ditto others

makes it easier to combine the parts to a final mix

trying to mix 4095 single tracks is nonsense
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search