repairing a Fostex MR-8HD?
Katannuta
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Gear interested

repairing a Fostex MR-8HD?

Hi all,

I am the ultimate newbie here, just started playing around with a Fostex MR-8HD digital multi tracker and I'm trying to find out about repairing it. I live in North Wales, UK.

The recorder hadn't been used for a while until recently I when it worked perfectly for a couple of long sessions. However, in the midst of a third session the display screen started to distort and break up into pixels, and after a while it went blank. I was able to carry on listening to tracks I had already recorded, but the screen has stayed blank. I tried switching it off and leaving it to cool down, but still blank.

So now I'm trying to find out, can it be repaired? who would do it? how much would it cost? And is it worth it, or do I have to chuck out an otherwise functional multitrack?

Many thanks in advance for all experienced words of wisdom -

Kat
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Contact the UK distributor SCV....It sounds like a straight LCD replacement so they should be able to quote you a price with that info. Or tell you it can't be repaired!

SCV London
Katannuta
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Gear interested

Thank you!

Thanks very much, that's really helpful. I'll phone them in the morning.

Sorry for the long delay in replying - like a dork I posted just before heading off on holiday for two weeks... Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Katannuta
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
I think its a defect I'm fixing one for a friend.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Katannuta
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Gear interested

Oof!

Just phoned SCV, spoke to a very helpful chap who said it would cost £33.37 for the part, £60 for labour and £15 for the return postage - all plus VAT - comes out to a hefty £130.04! And that's without the cost of getting it to them...

He also said that it was easy enough to put the part in myself, just have to be careful about not breaking anything as I roll back something or other and slide in the ribbon...

Can anyone give me an idea whether fitting it myself is a reasonable expectation? I can change a plug no trouble, but that's about as far as I've got with electrics...

Thanks -

Kat
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katannuta View Post
Just phoned SCV, spoke to a very helpful chap who said it would cost £33.37 for the part, £60 for labour and £15 for the return postage - all plus VAT - comes out to a hefty £130.04! And that's without the cost of getting it to them...

He also said that it was easy enough to put the part in myself, just have to be careful about not breaking anything as I roll back something or other and slide in the ribbon...

Can anyone give me an idea whether fitting it myself is a reasonable expectation? I can change a plug no trouble, but that's about as far as I've got with electrics...

Thanks -

Kat
I'VE DONE IT BEFORE ,IT'S SIMPLE ENOUGH.

THE LCD RIBBON CABLE HOOKS TO THE MAIN BOARD JUST LIKE THE OLD IDE HARD DRIVES.

YOU SHOULD OPEN IT AND COUNT HOW MANY SCREWS YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE TI GET IT OUT?WHICH IS PROBABLY 4 INTERNAL SCREWS THAT SECURE IT TO EITHER THE BASE OF THE MAIN BOARD "OR" IT'S MOUNTED TO THE CASING IT SELF.

STILL EASY TO DO PLUS ANY SHOP COULD DO IT I'D ORDER THE PART ONLY.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Katannuta
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Gear interested

Thanks again

OK, I'll have a look tonight. If it looks daunting I'll be back for more advice! Many thanks for your help thus far....

All the best,

Kat
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

personally, I'd look into a new deck.

i had one of these, not the hd version, and the build quality is mighty shoddy if you ask me. i love fostex, but this isn't a product i'd pick up again. plus those annoying little flash cards, what a pain!

sinking another 150 in that thing doesn't personally make sense to me.
Katannuta
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear interested

Mysterious....

I finally got a bit of time to have another look at the Fostex and lo and behold! Everything was working! I had a lovely half an hour playing back and recording, no sign at all of any problem with the screen.

Then, over about twenty seconds, the screen pixellated, distorted and then went blank. That is, the orange light still works but there's no information showing on the screen at all.

So I opened it all up and tried pressing home any ribbon connection that I could see, but it still didn't work when I put it back together. And I tried it again after an hour and still no joy.

Anybody got any idea what the problem might be? The only things that I can imagine are a dodgy connection or overheating....

Thanks --

Kat

PS I'm away for 8 days from tomorrow so will be a bit of a gap before I can reply!
17th December 2013
Old 17th December 2013
Gear interested

I ran into the same problem this morning. I opened the unit, removed the display ribbon cable, blew out any dust and dirt in the connector, reseated the cable and made sure all the rest of the cables were seated properly. The display is working properly now.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search