Interface to an interface?
Sammi
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Gear interested

Interface to an interface?

This is probably a really really stupid question to you guys, but can you plug a fire wire interface to another fire wire interface?
I have Presonus Firestudio Project and an M-Audio Profire 2626 and I thought maybe you could chain them together so it would be 16 channels?
Thank you
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Your firestudio has an adat connection which allows 8 channels to be piped digitally to another device....the bad news is that the project doesn't have adat connectivity so you can't link them that way.

Some manufacturers also allow multiple cards to be seen as a single card but they have to be from the same manufacturer or maybe the same card.
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
This is probably a really really stupid question to you guys, but can you plug a fire wire interface to another fire wire interface?
I have Presonus Firestudio Project and an M-Audio Profire 2626 and I thought maybe you could chain them together so it would be 16 channels?
Thank you
how about through s/pdif?
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by izman View Post
how about through s/pdif?
Only carries 2 channels & one of his cards has optical the other coaxial spdif.

I had a quick look at the specs on these cards & actually I think you just might be able to do the full 16.

You can configure the Presonus as a stand alone preamp....as long as it lets you send each input direct to one of the 8 line outputs then you can connect these via 8 patch cables to the line inputs on the Profire.
Not quite as neat as linking them via digital or firewire but it should work for the cost of some cables

You'll have to read through the Presonus manual regarding the standalone operation & check that you can route in1 to out1 etc etc.....I'm sure you will be able to.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search