New Reply
Subscribe
broomstickbroom
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Gear interested

low dynamic mic levels with konnekt 48

hello,
my TC konnekt 48 arrived today and it seems good and quiet compared to my old behringer bca2000 however im having trouble getting any decent gain out of my Sure SM58 mic , the gain is cranked right to the top on the interface but im only getting halfway up the graphic display input in cubase and less than half in the TC near software , there is no way i can get it to peak and work backwards when setting recording volume , any ideas what im doing wrong ?

my condenser SE2200A is ok and can hit the peaks no prob .
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomstickbroom View Post
hello,
my TC konnekt 48 arrived today and it seems good and quiet compared to my old behringer bca2000 however im having trouble getting any decent gain out of my Sure SM58 mic , the gain is cranked right to the top on the interface but im only getting halfway up the graphic display input in cubase and less than half in the TC near software , there is no way i can get it to peak and work backwards when setting recording volume , any ideas what im doing wrong ?

my condenser SE2200A is ok and can hit the peaks no prob .
The biggest single difference between dynamics and condensers as a class is the much greater sensitivity of condenser mics. If you look up the specs on your two mics you'll probably find a 15 to 20 db difference in sensitivity, which is huge.

The TC Connect 48 appears to have 62 db of maximum preamp gain, which is a bit less than optimal for an SM58, but workable. Add digital gain after the track is recorded to get the level you want. Remember, you should be aiming for RMS (average) levels around -18 dBFS with peaks not to exceed -6 dBFS when tracking. You shouldn't try to get close to 0 dBFS until you're through mixing and into the mastering stage.

Fran
broomstickbroom
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The biggest single difference between dynamics and condensers as a class is the much greater sensitivity of condenser mics. If you look up the specs on your two mics you'll probably find a 15 to 20 db difference in sensitivity, which is huge.

The TC Connect 48 appears to have 62 db of maximum preamp gain, which is a bit less than optimal for an SM58, but workable. Add digital gain after the track is recorded to get the level you want. Remember, you should be aiming for RMS (average) levels around -18 dBFS with peaks not to exceed -6 dBFS when tracking. You shouldn't try to get close to 0 dBFS until you're through mixing and into the mastering stage.

Fran
thanks for your reply Fran,
since the first post i did a bit of experimenting and found if i used an XLR lead on the sm58 mic strangely i get the extra boost i was looking for even though its not a powered mic ,
im not well up on db figures, i usually just do things visually when setting the signal as my old sound card had a gain trim ,im still sussing things out with the konnekt , anyway, thanks for the info on ideal db headroom and amp gain, that is useful . I think id better do some more reading instead of pestering the forum in future.

thanks again
Lee
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
since the first post i did a bit of experimenting and found if i used an XLR lead on the sm58 mic strangely i get the extra boost i was looking for even though its not a powered mic ,
You need to use an XLR always for a mic.....if you used a jack then you were probably running the interface at line level.
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
thanks for your reply Fran,
im not well up on db figures, i usually just do things visually when setting the signal as my old sound card had a gain trim ,im still sussing things out with the konnekt , anyway, thanks for the info on ideal db headroom and amp gain, that is useful . I think id better do some more reading instead of pestering the forum in future.

thanks again
Lee
If your cable did not have a unbalancing transformer, you threw away half the signal. Then the preamp gain on the 1/4" inputs is 42 db, way down from the 62 db available with the XLR input.

TC Electronic | StudioKonnekt 48 Tech Specs

Fran
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
If your cable did not have a unbalancing transformer, you threw away half the signal. Then the preamp gain on the 1/4" inputs is 42 db, way down from the 62 db available with the XLR input.

TC Electronic | StudioKonnekt 48 Tech Specs

Fran
Perhaps he was using a balanced XLR to TRS into the combo mic input.He is still left with 62 dBs of gain...
broomstickbroom
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Gear interested

iv just opened the lead casing to the mic lead i was using ,it appears to be just a standard mic lead with two visible connections at the jack end , i know TRS has ; i think ! three connections ,so maybe your right, that explains why the signal as you say was weaker than XLR > XLR , it makes a louder noise now any road

i used the other lead as part of a pair for the speaker cables from the konnekt 48 to the rokit r5's , the master volume knob now works too. which is nice :-)

next time i buy mike leads il make sure they are XLR > TRS/XLR rather than bog standard studio snakes.
I learn a little each day ,cheers for the info it all helps !

Lee
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

Always use XLR only. A lot of interfaces have the dual XLR/TRS jack, and some the TRS side internally has a pad built in to lower the level for line level devices. So XLR to TRS would not work correctly. you would still have some gain adjustment for line level but it's not gonna be 62db like the XLR input.

Via Gearslutz iPhone app
LA610 Solo, Logic Pro 9.1.6 DAW
broomstickbroom
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Always use XLR only. A lot of interfaces have the dual XLR/TRS jack, and some the TRS side internally has a pad built in to lower the level for line level devices. So XLR to TRS would not work correctly. you would still have some gain adjustment for line level but it's not gonna be 62db like the XLR input.

Via Gearslutz iPhone app
hello,
i should have been more clear , the konnekt 48 only has 4 dual pre's at the front the rest are at the back as 8 jack in's ,what i meant was i will buy XLR >TRS for those 8 inputs and XLR >XLR for the 4 front pre's ,

but now im confused as to which leads i need to use for the rear 8 inputs ,

balanced jacks ? or unbalanced jacks ?
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
hello,
i should have been more clear , the konnekt 48 only has 4 dual pre's at the front the rest are at the back as 8 jack in's ,what i meant was i will buy XLR >TRS for those 8 inputs and XLR >XLR for the 4 front pre's ,

but now im confused as to which leads i need to use for the rear 8 inputs ,

balanced jacks ? or unbalanced jacks ?
The rear inputs are line in, that is, they have no mic pre in their path.

They are TRS balanced connections. You can plug either balanced TRS or unbalanced TS plugs into them. The cable you need depends on the device you're connecting through these jacks. If your external device has balanced XLR out then XLR->TRS cables would be the simplest choice.

But if your external device uses 1/4" outs, either TRS->TRS or TS->TS will work. Unbalancing like this will reduce the level, but it's reasonable to expect satisfactory functioning. Balanced connections are less sensitive to external electromagnetic noise, but this is usually only an issue on long cable runs, which most of us doing home studios don't have to worry about.

Fran
broomstickbroom
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear interested

thanks for clearing that up fran
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search