What's an accurate decibel meter plugin or hardware?
Old 10th June 2011
Gear interested

What's an accurate decibel meter plugin or hardware?

I'm looking for advice on a good reliable plugin(if possible) or piece of hardware that will give me an accurate reading of decibel level of an output.
I use logic pro and have noticed that the decibel reading on it cannot be correct. To get the best recording I'm lookin for something 100% accurate.

Does waves already have a meter of sorts? I ask because I have most all waves plugins but have got around to researching them all,if so what is the name?

Is there a reliable plugin that exisits or should I buy a piece of hardware?

Thannks

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th June 2011
Gear Head

I recently bought waves' dorrough meter plugin. Its got nice features and also a phase indicator which comes in handy especially for us newbs.

t
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKrewe View Post
I use logic pro and have noticed that the decibel reading on it cannot be correct.
That is not a real sound decibel reading, but a relative OUTPUT reading.

How many decibels you generate depends on how loud you monitors are turned up. You can have a quiet signal but crank the amp and outblow a jet engine.

If you want to read the actual db in your room, get a Radio Shack sound meter.
Old 10th June 2011
Gear addict
Quote:
I'm looking for advice on a good reliable plugin(if possible) or piece of hardware that will give me an accurate reading of decibel level of an output.
I use logic pro and have noticed that the decibel reading on it cannot be correct. To get the best recording I'm lookin for something 100% accurate.

Does waves already have a meter of sorts? I ask because I have most all waves plugins but have got around to researching them all,if so what is the name?

Is there a reliable plugin that exisits or should I buy a piece of hardware?

Thannks

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Are you trying to measure the SPL of your monitors?

Why do you think the meters in Logic are not accurate?

Fran
Old 10th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Are you trying to measure the SPL of your monitors?

Why do you think the meters in Logic are not accurate?

Fran
Im trying to measure the output of my main output from my interface before it reaches my monitors.

I was hoping to find a good plugin that way I could measure each channel's output by it's self.

I know for a fact logic is not accurate. Its easy to tell when you record an instrument in Logic and it reads -3db and then play it on another DAW and it reads -5db. I have tried many different systems and diff DAWs and different instruments and i always find something isn't right.

No offense to Logic's power or capablitlies but it's measurement is definitely off.

Just like the post from earlier stated its just a realitive measurement.
Old 10th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrienFlorida View Post
That is not a real sound decibel reading, but a relative OUTPUT reading.

How many decibels you generate depends on how loud you monitors are turned up. You can have a quiet signal but crank the amp and outblow a jet engine.

If you want to read the actual db in your room, get a Radio Shack sound meter.
Thanks for the help, I be picking one up shortly.
Old 10th June 2011
Gear addict
Quote:
Im trying to measure the output of my main output from my interface before it reaches my monitors.

I was hoping to find a good plugin that way I could measure each channel's output by it's self.

I know for a fact logic is not accurate. Its easy to tell when you record an instrument in Logic and it reads -3db and then play it on another DAW and it reads -5db. I have tried many different systems and diff DAWs and different instruments and i always find something isn't right.

No offense to Logic's power or capablitlies but it's measurement is definitely off.

Just like the post from earlier stated its just a realitive measurement.
Perhaps Sonalksis Free G?

Sonalksis Ltd.
KVR: Sonalksis FreeG - Virtual Effect
How are you using Sonalksis FreeG?

Fran
Old 11th June 2011
Gear addict

Some DAWs have configurable settings for the metering, that control response times, decay times, etc.

And, anything that has a "VU" meter-like response can respond differently compared to another DAW's "VU" meter-like response, depending on how the software meter is designed and implemented.

If you choose a plugin, try to find one that'll run in all the different places you're going to be comparing things.

Also, many interfaces have mixer applications that can modify levels between the software "main outputs of the DAW", and the physical output.

HTH

John
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Do not take this for a fact.As Steck suggested this might be down to numerous factors.One more is what we call 'pan law'.Each DAW & hardware mixer uses its own & Logic as well as Cubase have configurable options on this department.Different panning law settings can result in different levels & sometimes people mistake that for 'better sound' of one DAW over another...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search