New Reply
Subscribe
nathanlee0921
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Head

How Do I Use Delay?

Dear Fellow Members,

I can't figure out how to use Delay. I heard that it is used a lot in commercial music, but I can't get it to work. I used the Sonitus:fx Delay in Sonar Producer 8 and it changed the position of my vocal. For example, the vocals should come in on the first beat, but when I turn on the delay plugin, the vocal will start playing on the second beat. Is this what delay plugins are supposed to do? I don't want it to change the position of my vocal (delay my vocal), I just want some echo.

I saw a mixing engineer use delay in Pro Tools where he send it to a different channel, but I don't think I can do that in Sonar. Also, is delay the same as an echo plugin, if so I can just use a echo plugin and have my vocal echo back. Isn't it the same thing? Also, the reverb can also echo back if the diffusion isn't turn up too high. So what is the delay for if other plugins can do the same thing and how can I use delay on my vocal in Sonar Producer 8?

Any Help Would Be Appreciated,
Nathan Lee
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

i recommend always doing a search first, just because it doesn't always look good if you ask a question when there is a super recent thread or threads on the subject.... Forgive me if you did and saw this but this is as good a start as any...

Delays
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanlee0921 View Post
Dear Fellow Members,

I can't figure out how to use Delay. I heard that it is used a lot in commercial music, but I can't get it to work. I used the Sonitus:fx Delay in Sonar Producer 8 and it changed the position of my vocal. For example, the vocals should come in on the first beat, but when I turn on the delay plugin, the vocal will start playing on the second beat. Is this what delay plugins are supposed to do? I don't want it to change the position of my vocal (delay my vocal), I just want some echo.

I saw a mixing engineer use delay in Pro Tools where he send it to a different channel, but I don't think I can do that in Sonar. Also, is delay the same as an echo plugin, if so I can just use a echo plugin and have my vocal echo back. Isn't it the same thing? Also, the reverb can also echo back if the diffusion isn't turn up too high. So what is the delay for if other plugins can do the same thing and how can I use delay on my vocal in Sonar Producer 8?

Any Help Would Be Appreciated,
Nathan Lee
I suggest you get a "teach yourself Sonar" style book.

If you're adept at manual reading (which I'm guessing not, given the basic nature of this question), the short answer is create an aux track, put the delay (100% WET, very important) on this track, use a send from your vocal track to route audio to this delay track for processing, and use it to control the amount of delay. I don't use Sonar, so I can't tell you the exact names or steps (and if I did, you'd just get stumped at the next stage).

If all that sounds like tech speak to you, you're really asking "how do I use my DAW"....hence the suggestion to get a teach yourself DAW book.

Good luck.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
nathanlee0921
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I suggest you get a "teach yourself Sonar" style book.

If you're adept at manual reading (which I'm guessing not, given the basic nature of this question), the short answer is create an aux track, put the delay (100% WET, very important) on this track, use a send from your vocal track to route audio to this delay track for processing, and use it to control the amount of delay. I don't use Sonar, so I can't tell you the exact names or steps (and if I did, you'd just get stumped at the next stage).

If all that sounds like tech speak to you, you're really asking "how do I use my DAW"....hence the suggestion to get a teach yourself DAW book.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. This was really helpful. I do know how to create the Aux track. I have watch tutorial on Pro Tools and it look like people always use Aux track to route effects such as Reverb and Delay. Why is that? I added reverb and right to my vocal track, the reverb seems to work find, but the delay "DELAYS" when my vocal comes in. Is this why? Or what?
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

There's a thread on this in the Hip Hop forum on the very first page.

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
How Do I Use Delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanlee0921

Thanks for the reply. This was really helpful. I do know how to create the Aux track. I have watch tutorial on Pro Tools and it look like people always use Aux track to route effects such as Reverb and Delay. Why is that? I added reverb and right to my vocal track, the reverb seems to work find, but the delay "DELAYS" when my vocal comes in. Is this why? Or what?
Because generally you want to add reverb and delay to a track, instead of processing the whole thing with it like eq or compression.

Get used to using reverb and delays on sends, and long term your engineering will improve. Using reverb as inserts is sloppy and leads to problems on larger mixes.
T1M
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
T1M
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

how do i pro tools?
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Get used to using reverb and delays on sends, and long term your engineering will improve. Using reverb as inserts is sloppy and leads to problems on larger mixes.
On top of all that using one reverb on an aux send/return instead of one on each channel means there's only one reverb to change. Maybe you only have one or two vox tracks right now, but imagine if you were mixing "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen; it would be a real PITA to have to change 128 reverbs. Also, by using one reverb on an aux channel rather than one effect on each channel you save a lot of processing power.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to QuadWing
Quote:
What you're trying to do is make a "send". Make a bus, slap a reverb/delay plugin on it to the FX bin, and then right click on a track you want to "send" it to in the mixer view (alt + 3), and adjust the levels. It should be a row or two below the FX send. If you named the bus "delay", then when you make the send, you should click the "delay" option from the drop-down, that way you get the effect.

Hope I helped.

(I'm a 4 year SONAR user! )

^^ Please listen to that. <3 ^^
30th January 2011
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
how do i pro tools?
this comment is very apropos to the current state of this particular message board, as well as this industry.....and indicative of, really...the entire internet culture that we find ourselves in currently.

well done sir...well done.

best,

jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes

(to the op...i just used delay..)
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

sfhgvhrehqotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj

I sampled your delay and reversed it! I must be transitioning to another marker in the song!

Also, if you listen closely, you'll notice some inconsistencies in the lowest part of the signal. This is because you forget to dither.
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
sfhgvhrehqotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj

I sampled your delay and reversed it! I must be transitioning to another marker in the song!

Also, if you listen closely, you'll notice some inconsistencies in the lowest part of the signal. This is because you forget to dither.
^^^

I lol'd.
nathanlee0921
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadWing View Post
What you're trying to do is make a "send". Make a bus, slap a reverb/delay plugin on it to the FX bin, and then right click on a track you want to "send" it to in the mixer view (alt + 3), and adjust the levels. It should be a row or two below the FX send. If you named the bus "delay", then when you make the send, you should click the "delay" option from the drop-down, that way you get the effect.

Hope I helped.

(I'm a 4 year SONAR user! )
Yeah, you helped. I finally got it to work and now I know how to use reverb and delay. One more accomplishment. It turns out I was trying to add too much delay, so that messes up everything, but using aux tracks is better than insert effects, now I understand.
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Yeah, you helped. I finally got it to work and now I know how to use reverb and delay. One more accomplishment. It turns out I was trying to add too much delay, so that messes up everything, but using aux tracks is better than insert effects, now I understand.
There's use for both. If I have a track which I want a specific delay or reverb on, I'll use an insert delay or reverb. And depending upon the situation, I might have add an insert on the track with a little bit of gain just for extra effect.
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Gear addict

what program do you guys use to photoshop things?
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockManDan View Post
what program do you guys use to photoshop things?
Photoshop.
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
sfhgvhrehqotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj
sehguhrehpotsirhcj

actually...it was a tape delay...so each repetition was slightly darker and grungier...and noisier.

ps. ha. well done.

best,

jchristopherhughes
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

You can also apply any Fx plug to individual clips in Sonar, as well as entire tracks.

This is great if you want to treat one particular section of a track totally differently to the rest of it.

Just split the track into clips, right click the clip you want to effect and open the Clip Fx bin.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol_Jonesey View Post
You can also apply any Fx plug to individual clips in Sonar, as well as entire tracks.

This is great if you want to treat one particular section of a track totally differently to the rest of it.

Just split the track into clips, right click the clip you want to effect and open the Clip Fx bin.
This, +1.

Select the clip you're wanting to add the effect to, hit Ctrl + B and that'll open up a bit of a "pop up" fx bin which you can add all your effects.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search