New Reply
Subscribe
Degausser
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear interested

Immersion and Sound

Hi there!

I am currently working on a Masters degree in sound and for my research I was hoping to ask the sound community their opinions on what elements of sound contribute to creating an immersive experience.

In order to do this, I have put together a short questionnaire and I was wondering if you would all be able to fill it out! It shouldn't take long, around 10 minutes max. I would really appreciate it!

I have already posted this in the postproduction forum and I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.

Here is a link to the questionnaire: Immersion and Sound Survey

Thank you very much!
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Ok I took it. I wish you luck with your research!
Degausser
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

Thank you very much! I appreciate it a lot.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

A nice list of questions there, though a bit short to my taste. I liked the way I had to weigh what is more important for immersive aural experience sound, but pity you did not include an additional question about sound levels like you did for e.g. equalization. There are some things to mention too even besides the Fletcher-Munson curves. Things like tune-out effect, aural fatigue etc.etc.
Also I'd say that there are qualities required from the listener herself - mostly general music erudition - the more the person listens and understands music the more she is apt to value the many aspects of it, and this in turn seems to keep her attention on the song/track, which is essential.

For example, I find Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan" to be rather immersive - I like the effects on the vocals, I like how mr.Butler articulates his bass line, I like the leather drums, I like the eerie electropiano effect that comes in sometime into the song. I love those sounds as a sound designer, I admire the simplicity (two chords) if the harmony as a composer, I appreciate the guitar solo as I am a guitar player myself. I just love how a piano starts to drop those heavy chords towards the end as I do piano arrangements, I like Butler's bends on bass as I play bass in a band etc.etc.
This song appeals to me on so many levels, whereas to other people it can be plain boring.
Food for thought.
Degausser
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

Thank you very much for that feedback! You make some great points. This is a preliminary set of questions aimed at discovering what aspects of sound people feel to have an effect on the immersive experience and a lot of it is definitely subjective, you're right! I have tried to allow ample space for individual opinions in there for that reason. Very excited to see if there are many trends that appear!
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Cool! I'll look forward to your findings shuold you find it appropriate to publish them.

Cheers and good luck.
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW there a couple companies working on truly immersive, object oriented, surround sound environments for headphones that are better than surround speaker systems. Having heard one of these, it's a game changer. You can watch a movie on your iphone and be completely surround in audio, including flyovers.
Degausser
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Gear interested

They are indeed! I was at a symposium the other day where someone mentioned this technology being developed by DTS. It will be interesting to hear the results and to ascertain whether or not they are able to successfully replicate a coherent surround sound experience for each individual wearing the headphones Very excited to see where it goes.
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Surrounded By Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
They are indeed! I was at a symposium the other day where someone mentioned this technology being developed by DTS. It will be interesting to hear the results and to ascertain whether or not they are able to successfully replicate a coherent surround sound experience for each individual wearing the headphones Very excited to see where it goes.
Yes, you can actually get the complete Man of Steel Sountrack in DTS Headphone:X

Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel in DTS Headphone:X - SURROUND SOUND MUSIC

The part I bolded in your quote is where it gets interesting. To me, the concept of the Realizer, where you record your own HRTF is the best way of doing it. But it is also very expensive and not portable.

Listening to the demo of the Z+ app is really impressive though. I hope we can hear more than 'just' the HZ soundtrack with it.

I just took your survey
Degausser
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the link and for taking the questionnaire I agree entirely with you. One of the speakers at the symposium talked a lot about Man of Steel (mainly discussing Dolby atmos but that's a whole other story!) and he brought up the DTS headphones with the HZ soundtrack (I think Dolby experimented with something similar a few years ago). He was very excited about it. I think this is because the HRTFs worked well for him. Unfortunately it didn't work as well for most other people which is to be expected. You are spot on, if it was possible to easily incorporate your own personal HRTFs to such a system, I am so sure it would be incredible
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
they can and do, much better than a speaker array.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear addict

It is indeed a good trend. 7.1 headphones are already a reality (I own a pair) and they are damn good. Few composers use that power by the way.
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search