Atmos mixing!
New Reply
Subscribe
Stitch333
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Atmos mixing!

I have a chance to mix at the Dolby facility in Burbank. I thought all you geeks might like to see the interface..
Attached Thumbnails
Atmos mixing!-imageuploadedbygearslutz1374203590.134045.jpg   Atmos mixing!-imageuploadedbygearslutz1374203632.323694.jpg   Atmos mixing!-imageuploadedbygearslutz1374203646.292178.jpg   Atmos mixing!-imageuploadedbygearslutz1374203663.188023.jpg  

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013

Thanks.

Tell us about your experience .
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Head

Lucky chap that you could make up till Dolby facility in Burbank.
Stitch333
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hi!

I was introduced to Doug Trumbull (2001, blade runner, close encounters - that's Doug in the pic) who asked me to do production sound, and then all the sound design as well for a super high frame rate 120fps 3d film technology he is pushing. So the last 3 months I've been doing lots of telemetry data sounds and ufos sounds. The atmos system is very interesting: it builds off the traditional 7.1 mix format by adding 1-118 'object' tracks in Dolly's hotrod protools.those object tracks get routed to the ceiling and top wall arrays. Using phase canceling algorithms as produced by the main atmos processor, sound can literally fly around the room. It is pretty damn cool!
You can see the codec plugin and then the atmos processor Interface in the pictures.

Back to Dolby now. I'll try and take a few more pictures today.

Cheers!
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

that's a great little room. Been in there a couple times. Was in there once after they got the Atmos system although I didn't get to really hear what it could do. We were checking something that was encoded in 5.1.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!!

"We were working on Raiders [of the Lost Ark]. He [Ben Burt] told me that the sound source for opening the lid of the ark in the last reel was within 20'. I couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be lifting the back off the toilet above the water chamber, and slowing it down." -Tomlinson Holman
Stitch333
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
that's a great little room. Been in there a couple times. Was in there once after they got the Atmos system although I didn't get to really hear what it could do. We were checking something that was encoded in 5.1.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!!
The coffee station is my favorite part of the facility right now....mostly because I just did 5 days of 20 hours a day...still very in awe

Cheers!
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear maniac

That is a seriously intense couple of days. Cool gig and pics. And dig your avatar!

How does the panning work? Dual joysticks - one for X/Y circular and one for Z (up/down)?
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear nut

Awesome, if you were doing most of your mixing in protools before you went to the atmos facility, what are your suggestions speeding up the atmos session?

(i.e. in order for me to save mix time, I would like to do a lot of my mixing in stereo before the session and bring in the files to the atmos facility, was wondering best practices for doing that)
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Great post. Interesting new aspect to this industry. Thanks for posting!

Sent via iPhone/Tapasquawk
27th November 2013
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Watson View Post
That is a seriously intense couple of days. Cool gig and pics. And dig your avatar!

How does the panning work? Dual joysticks - one for X/Y circular and one for Z (up/down)?
Hi Sam,
Sorry for the delay.
Most of the panning in the Atmos object mix panel that pops up in the plugin codec
directly in ProTools. X-Y-Z are all automatable and there are different algo for types of fades into the ceiling array object: peaked roof for linear ceiling fades and curved for more sweeping log fades. The closeup pic of PT has the codec up.

We are still hashing out this project, but it is almost complete.

Cheers!
Stitch333
27th November 2013
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
Awesome, if you were doing most of your mixing in protools before you went to the atmos facility, what are your suggestions speeding up the atmos session?

(i.e. in order for me to save mix time, I would like to do a lot of my mixing in stereo before the session and bring in the files to the atmos facility, was wondering best practices for doing that)
Hi Patrick,
Firstly, set yourself in a 7.1 session. That is the basis format the Atmos builds off of.
Biggest time saver would be just to organizationally separate your main Stereo/5.1/7.1 mix with all the elements you want to swoop around the Atmos array as an object. I had close to 90 tracks and needed to be able to dial in the swoopy atmos sounds quickly. The first day we spent a bit of time finding stuff and I wound up at the Hotel til 3AM cleaning and organizing my session in just this way for the following day. We imported the collected sounds for Atmos and it became much quicker.
If you want atmospherics, and other non-dynamic material you might pan into the rear surrounds in a current format mix, add those to your selected Atmos object tracks.
Room tone, of course, can be spread out as well though I'm not sure of industry format on that yet.

Hope some of this helps if its not too late!

Doug just installed Atmos at the soundstage out here in Western, MA.
I'll ask him if I can take some pictures and share them.

Cheers!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search