$7000 what would you spend it on?
New Reply
Subscribe
northpilot
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear interested

$7000 what would you spend it on?

I recently came across a good amount of money ($7000) and I want to reinvest it in my business. I am getting into writing songs for commercials, soundtrack work and electronic music mostly. I don't really need to record a drum set but i would be doing some vocal, guitar, etc. Given the type of music i am creating how would you spend $7000 to upgrade your gear or buy new gear what would you spend it on? Monitors? Preamps? Mics? Interface? This is what i have now. Thoughts please!

Mac Pro, Protools Mbox 2 LE 7, Focusrite Pro 40, Apogee Duet, M-Audio BX5 Monitors, Oktava MK-219, Shure SM57, Akai MPK49, Roland Juno-G, Microkorg, Waves Plugin Bundle, Kontakt 4, Ableton 8, Logic Pro 8, Arturia Bundles, Gutiars and amps and such.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear interested

A vacation maybe ?
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear nut

I personally would invest in sample libraries.It seems to me like you already have enough hardware.But that's just me...I'm not a big fan of hardware.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Keep it to pay bills/rent for when you don't have any work.

If you can do the work you need to do with what you have, use that money to buy you time and remove some stress from your life and maybe be in a position to pick the jobs you want and avoid the nightmare clients.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Keep it to pay bills/rent for when you don't have any work.

If you can do the work you need to do with what you have, use that money to buy you time and remove some stress from your life and maybe be in a position to pick the jobs you want and avoid the nightmare clients.
A-MEN!

I've made the mistake of having a huge bankroll with lots of work, and then buying gear that I "just wanted." It was all useful stuff but nothing I "had to have." Then the work dried up.... ouch. Rough few months, it was.

Now my rule is "don't buy gear unless it's crucial to getting a specific job."
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear addict

+1 for the "cushion" money.

If you and your clients are happy with the result, and you do not have any major troubles producing, - why buy anything at all? You seem to be pretty decked there in terms of equipment - I don't think your creativity is limited.

If you do lots of guitar tracks I'd recommend you to get one of the Line6's Variacs, but they are not that expensive.

You never know when you hit a down, or when you probably need an attorney's consult regarding your business.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear maniac

You didn't come here for life advise. Someone asked the same question in the other forum and got hit back with the 'save it in high interest account..my twins needed dental work' etc..I detest that answer when someone's excited about making a big purchase.

I think you're monitors and microphones could do with an upgrade. the rest is fine. Spend about $1000+ on Dynaudios/Genelec/Adam monitors. Maybe look at a $1000-$2000 mic. Sounds excessive, but its only when you have cash spare to spend that the mic will get upgraded..buy one while you can.

Then the rest on plug ins and sample Librarys..As a start...Symphopia, Damage, Albion, Imperfect Samples Pianos...Soundtoys..its an endless list.

If doing writing for picture..then an extra screen is good for video playback..or if you're used to using 2 screens anyway, then a 3rd screen.

You do say Reinvest in your 'Business'..so maybe a great website/server if you dont have one.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

It's not really life advise.

If he was asking what he'd need to draw clients in with a studio, I'd understand, but most working composers go through patches of no work and I'd say having a buffer to get through those times so you don't have to go get some office tempo job is just a big investment as buying something physical or digital.

If you really want to buy something, go buy an ebow, a glass and metal guitar slide, a Super Nintendo and maybe a decent string library like Albion where you can put together something fast.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Head

You should keep this as cushion money which can help you in case of crisis or if you are required to make some necessary investment in near future. If your clients are happy with the kind of work you are delivering them then there is no requirement to make any more investments in hardware.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear addict

...Or you could save it until you actually feel like buying something specific not just spending the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritace View Post
You didn't come here for life advise. Someone asked the same question in the other forum and got hit back with the 'save it in high interest account..my twins needed dental work' etc..I detest that answer when someone's excited about making a big purchase.
I understand the excitement around buying something that you have long desired and finally have the money to afford, but buying for buying is not for me.

Sorry if this is not the answer the TS wanted to hear, but I threw in an idea on what to buy nevertheless.

Cheers!
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear maniac

Life advise, financial advise...call it what you like. The OP made no mention of his financial situation..for all we know he got a job worth $21k, and has already put a third aside for a rainy day and a third to pay the rent few months, or he has a full time job and he got a nice little stock dividend.

Regardless...it was a Gear question. Whats my weak link etc, what should i upgrade..
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear addict

tritace,
Yes, I agree to that, but we did not hear anything in the OP about what actually does not satisfy the TS. He posted a list of a bunch of good gear he owns without any opinion on what does he actually want to change - I think that arose other possibilities in minds of myself and others who advised to save money.

northpilot,
Anyway, I guess that for a music producer, the monitors cannot be too good.
A surround setup is nice if you don't have it already.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritace View Post
Regardless...it was a Gear question. Whats my weak link etc, what should i upgrade..
I think the majority have given solid advice, but to address this specific quote....

This is Gearslutz... ask this community and the honest answer most professionals COULD say is "everything." No offense to the OP, but every single piece of gear could be viewed as "low quality" or "consumer" stuff. The endless suggestions are just that.... and it's a bit pointless to boot.

How about acoustic panels and room design issues? That's probably a better investment than a Burl B2 bomber would be. However, the Apogee Duet and Mbox are pitiful converters in comparison. Should I suggest that? Heck no!

OP. Judging by your gear, you're just getting into the game. Be very careful with how you spend your money. It must be done like a life-and-death strategy of war. Make a mistake, and you will not survive this business.

So far the best suggestion I've read is website and advertising presence. Hire a professional to help with your PR or take a few potential clients to lunch. Use your money to make more money.... Don't listen to the "gear jockeys" on this forum for financial advice or gear advice... Ask your clients what they need from you. Then buy that.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

I just looked the OPs gear list.

Omnisphere would be a worth while purchase for you. It'll pay for itself for film/commercials more times over than any piece of gear/software I can think of.

Having some sort of backup system in place would be first on my list (and is). You don't want that lingering feeling that your boot drive/project drive could fail at any time and you'll have to tell your client you've had a boo boo.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear maniac

I'd buy some great sample libraries and save the rest. I was always wary about purchasing expensive libraries, but I can't say I've ever regretted it. It's like a mechanic buying tools or a painter buying the right paint & brushes - you need it for your trade and it will lift your work into a new level. Good equipment and sounds have the ability to really inspire.

If it was me I wouldn't spend 7K on this stuff. I'd get on a plane and go somewhere or put it away for a rainy day.

Spend wisely :D

- Sam
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Guru

One word....

Monitors.

After that, get your CRM dialed.

Save the rest until you have a need were you HAVE to buy something to keep on going. Good rule of thumb. Don't spend money on things that might "upgrade" your studio. ONLY spend money on things that hold you back or leave you "broken" or "not working". If you don't know what's holding you back, then you're not ready to buy. When the time comes, you will KNOW what you need money for. That's when you should spend. Believe me, you will need it all and 10-100X's that amount over the next few years if you continue down this path....
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear nut

I'd upgrade those monitors and if you haven't already done it, treat the room really well.

- Tiko
northpilot
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear interested

northpilot
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the opinions guys. Money is not really an issue. I have a cushion for other life stuff. I was just asking strictly what you think would help to improve my overall abilities, sound quality, etc. Creativity aside. Thanks for the input though!
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe MacProVideo to improve your abilities and like others have said, better monitors for sound quality.

Logic 9 is worth the upgrade as well.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

a new car
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear maniac

Good advice above. Monitors. You really need to know how those levels are going to translate into the rest of the world. Even when you are making every sound ITB (in the box) monitors will be money well spent. Possibly nice monitor stands so you know they are as well positioned as possible. Think about it: What piece of gear do you use on *everything*?

Buy a second SM57. When doing guitars I like to mic the front speaker and the back of the cab. Works particularly well for me since I have an open back / ported Mesa cab. That will give you a fuller tone more like what you hear in the room. You could use the Oktava 216 for that as well. (They sound nice on cleaner tones on the speaker. Not quite right for distortion IMO.)

Room treatment. Read up on bass traps and such.

If you are going to buy another library just buy one and buy it with a specific project in mind. I just upgrade my VSL library last month because I took on a project that *demanded* it. Currently launching into a big dance music project where I was tempted by NI Komplete. But then I reminded myself that I have tons of synths that will do the trick. And I am thinking a better percussion MIDI pad would be a better choice to maximize ALL my other current tools.

I'm still on Logic 8. Took a look at 9 and speed fades and vari-speed recording seemed like the most interesting features but not necessary for me. Plus, I never like to upgrade mid project and I'm always mid-project. Amber - what do you find best in L9 to make it worth the jump?

Good luck. Have fun! Stay rational.
-Sam
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

To be honest, I never paid for Logic 8 (won it at a job for best sales that month) and I lost some discs and just ended up buying Logic 9.

I like the Guitar amps, flex time, 64 bit etc.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

After a vow to not spend more money on gear for a while, I spent a lot of money this past year on new stuff. There was no question as to what I needed. If you are working a lot, you should be painfully aware of your needs and shortcomings. If you don't know what pieces would benefit you the most, you'd best hold on to your money and wait until the "need" reveals itself.

My best investments were a complete studio remodel (really all just aesthetic, new wood floor, comfy chairs, tables, lamps, etc), a new custom desk from KKAudio, and a new Herman Miller chair. I'm able to work longer with less physical and mental pain. I bought about 30K in new samples and software, which is all very nice, but none of it has had as much effect as a nicer work area.
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear addict

Looking at your gear list gives a few ideas, despite not knowing your music or your specific music needs.

A) you have multiple audio interfaces, multiple DAWS, and a 49 key midi keyboard controller that is probably unnecessary because you have a Juno D and a microkorg.

B) the monitors are not ideal, regardless of the acoustic situation of your control room.

if I were you I would ask the following questions:

1) how many channels of I/O do I need in an audio interface?
2) how many studios do I need?

this will allow to figure out which of your audio interfaces makes the most sense to use, and you could sell the others. Or, you could buy another computer and use one of the 2 channel interfaces, your AKAI midi controller, and one of the extra DAWs as another workstation.

I work somewhat this way and it is really useful when I have multiple projects going. For example, I might be on a film and a commercial comes in that needs to be turned around quickly. I keep my film project up in Studio A and do the commercial in studio B. Then I can go through stages of rewrites on both projects simultaneously without wasting time switching between projects. I also have a mobile set-up that I can work from in a pinch if I am traveling, which you could do since you have 3 audio interfaces and a portable midi controller.

But I couldn't advise you here -- it all depends on how much work you have coming in and the deadlines you are working under. Maybe you could tell us more about what kind of work you are doing and let us listen to something you have done.

Another key question -- why are people hiring you? what is it you do best, are known for? I'll follow-up with some general gear recommendations in the dark, well, because it is GS
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

1) The best answer is to save for your retirement to be honest.

However... if you have that taken care of and really are looking to spend the money on audio:

1) I've upgrade my monitors. I had the BX5's. I know them well. They overhype the bass and are inaccurate with the highs. I would upgrade to some JBL LSR 8" inch... or Adam A7X... or both! (I have both monitors in my purchase projects). At bare minimum, get a pair of Yamaha HS50's so you can at least mix on the Yamaha's and use the BX5's as reference. The Yamaha's are much cleaner. They lack bass.. but a 5" monitor shouldn't have bass to begin with! Get a sub for the Yamaha's if you go that route.

2) you have 3 interfaces. do you need all 3? If not.. i'd sell em off and grab an RME UCX (or UFX or Babyface depending on your I/O needs) since they have the best drivers.

3) I'd upgrade to a really really nice outboard micpre... and some FMR compressors.

4) If you want to go balls out on compression, get a Distressor.

5) Grab an Access Virus, Omnisphere, Motif XF rack, and an old Korg TR rack. Maybe a kaossilator Pro also.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Banned

I would get a pair of these:

27th July 2013
Old 27th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
1) The best answer is to save for your retirement to be honest.
I have to disagree - this is probably the worst advice, depending on where you are in your career. At the end? sure. At the beginning - obviously not. What kind of investment are we talking about, and what would the ROI be on it? Stocks, bonds? Buying gear intelligently - that increases the bottom line of your business through increased jobs (eg, increased speed lets you do more in a work week = more jobs per year = $$) or any of the other ways it commonly happens -- yields a much higher ROI than any standard retirement investment.

It's similar to a hypothetical scenario where someone who came into a lot of money might be told to pay off their house with it. Really? For all we know they could have a 3% fixed interest rate on that.

But this all leads to the correct train of thought for the OP -- what could you buy that serves as an investment that beats your other investment options?

I have no doubt there are many choices. One might be a control surface. Another might be a Groove3.com membership where you'll pick up workflow improvements. If you bought a better mic, what new kinds of work could you pick up? we simply do not know enough about your business to make good suggestions, and as others have pointed out, any good decisions should be obvious to you.
27th July 2013
Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAlchemist View Post
we simply do not know enough about your business to make good suggestions, and as others have pointed out, any good decisions should be obvious to you.
I agree with this.

And yes, $7k placed into a roth IRA, with the right stock placements, can have some amazing yields. But.... provided it has enough time to grow. And with us not knowing much details about lifestyle and direction, can't be sure if it's truly the best advice or not.

Sent from my SGH-T999
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search