Strings for Sweetening
Giant_Shadow
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear interested

Strings for Sweetening

Hello respected and admired film composers.
Looking for recommendations and input to add dedicated lush, wet, and sweet strings for sweetening, for Massive Attack, Reznor, film score type vibe projects. Looking for ready to play, as low as possible on cpu and wallet. I have NI Session Strings and Roland JD990 and am in Logic 9 on a dual Intel Imac.

Been looking at things under $500 so far:

Cinematic Strings
Project Sam Orchestral Essentials
Spitfire Albion I or II

Thank you very much in advance. Maximum respect!
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

For playability, Cinematic Strings 2 is very hard to beat! And the quality is superb.
It is also purely dedicated to string patches.
The other two are 'all-rounders' so they contain the "essential" patches of varying instrument categories.
CS2 gets my vote.
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear nut

if you want to sound a bit different (in a good way!) try mixing your modern vst strings with some vintage mellotron strings
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear addict

I keep hearing great things about Cinesamples. For one, they were recorded by Dennis Sands so you can't go wrong their. I do not own them because by the time they came out I barely had storage for the samples I had already but they are affordable and highly recommended by a lot of people I trust. Also, I hear the guys running the project are good to their musicians.
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
I keep hearing great things about Cinesamples. For one, they were recorded by Dennis Sands so you can't go wrong their. I do not own them because by the time they came out I barely had storage for the samples I had already but they are affordable and highly recommended by a lot of people I trust. Also, I hear the guys running the project are good to their musicians.
Cinesamples are not strings though. They have brass, winds and percussion libraries. They do have Cineorch but that is mostly fully orchestrated chords and pads that just add a nice live feel to things. But you are also adding brass and winds when you use it.

For strings I use LA Scoring Strings combined with Altiverb for stage positioning and convolution revierb...and then an Algorithmic reverb like a lexicon as well. But LASS has built in "stage and color" which is their mechanism to color their samples to match many film score string sounds on a variety of iconic scores. There are some imperfections and slight tuning issues here and there on some notes (Most have been corrected though in updates )....but it is those human imperfections which make it more "real" to the ear especially when you use their "stage and color" feature. Really nice things can come from LA Scoring Strings. And their legato scripting is second to none.

Adagio is also a good string library.

The Project SAM stuff can sound great...even the strings in Symphobia. Not the multi-patches which are more orchestrated ensemble sounds and effects...but the raw samples of the string section which you can access as well.

I have a handful of friends who have bought Albion and NOT liked it and don't really use it. I do not have experience with it....but their recommendation was to save the money for something else.
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear addict

My bad. I thought cinesamples had strings. I use a huge mix of samples. I love Cinematic Strings, although I don't use them much because my templates were already filled with Sonic Implants, EWQL and Hollywood Strings, VSL, Symphobia and some others. I don't know the LASS stuff. Of the ones mentioned by the OP, I would say Cinematic Strings might be the strongest.
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Just like with various compressors and EQ's, every library is a little different.

IMO, I would shy away from the Adagio range if you want something that's easy and sounds good out of the box. Adagio is amazing at quite a few things, but it takes some work. The new violas seem better, but don't have them (yet).

Project Sam tends to sound very bombastic, epic, huge, etc.

Albion I and II are smaller and more intimate... II is smaller than I. Think emotional, lush, beautiful, sweet.

CS2 is great for a solid, easy, sounds good right out of the box type option.

LASS is pretty expensive, but there's also the light version.

I have quite a few libraries, and by far Albion II has been my favorite and most used.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear maniac

If "ready to Play" is a huge Factor then LASS might not be The best.
Dont get me wrong, I love them, but I always end up tweaking for days to get them sounding just right. So you might be in for some unexpected challenges and time consumption.

I had a friend showcase me The Cinematic Strings a couple of weeks ago and they sound really great. Easy to play and not as expensive as LASS.
Its on my to-buy-list.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I have yet to find the "one" set. Albion and Sable are pretty great sounding - very natural and vibey. CS is great for very fast, huge mockups but the lack of smaller sections and more articulations makes them pretty broad-stroke. LASS is the most playable in my opinion, and while I haven't tried 2.0, the earlier versions have a more "digital" recording texture which I find can be harsh. But they really nailed the consistency of the samples though. I am just now getting deeper into all the Adagio strings, and while they do take a bit of work, the results I am getting are VERY realistic. And then there is Vienna Dimension, which is staggering in it's complexity and depth. While I haven't spent the necessary time with them to really master the engine, it is pretty clear to me that they are definitely the most extensive regarding articulations and ability to tweak. Dry as a bone though, you will most definitely have to wet them up. So, all that to say, I find it best to use them all for their different strengths, and if need be, in conjunction with one another. Hope that helps.
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I am just now getting deeper into all the Adagio strings, and while they do take a bit of work, the results I am getting are VERY realistic.
Is this using the new violas as well? I have the violins (1.1) and cellos, but I've been on the fence about the violas. I always love the way they (adagio range) sound, but I find myself getting frustrated when dealing with the ginormous list of patch options. Maybe it's just options overload?
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Is this using the new violas as well? I have the violins (1.1) and cellos, but I've been on the fence about the violas. I always love the way they (adagio range) sound, but I find myself getting frustrated when dealing with the ginormous list of patch options. Maybe it's just options overload?
Yes, the Violas as well. I think they are the best Adagio set so far....but I hear you regarding all the legato options, sometimes it does feel like overload. But just keeping it on the sustain crossfade patch can be enough for many passages.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search