Compose Score in DAW and methods of getting Notation?
HUFO_2000
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

Unhappy Compose Score in DAW and methods of getting Notation?

Ok,
I've looked almost everywhere for an answer to this but haven't yet found a similar solution. As a heads up, I'm using Cubase 6 and trying to work with Sibelius. How I normally work is I create and play all my music and performances through Cubase. It wasn't till recently that I may need sheet music for some of these scores and then sought out Sibelius.

What I'm doing now is exporting a painstakingly corrected piece from Cubase into Sibelius via MIDI and correcting it from Sibelius due to the number of oddities induced. However, that seems like way too much work.

What I would love is a way for Sibelius to take into account the musicality of the performance in Cubase, and create the sheet music from it without having to go back in Cubase and quantize everything to bar and stretch every note to be the exact time of the note value. This would require creating an entire separate project specifically to be ready for scoring in Sibelius which again seems like a lot of trouble.

Even while composing in Cubase, I'd love it to write in real time to Sibelius and then correct and fine tune in Sibelius.

In short, what would work best for me is if there was some kind of one to one translation between the two, that didn't involve me doing most of my composing in Sibelius. I much like the quickness and musical nature of working in DAW's like Cubase and Logic, and I don't want to break from that as it would only slow me down, especially if I need to get something down fast.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? How do a lot of modern composers do things when they'll write with VST instruments in the box, but may later need the sheets to be played with a live orchestra? A lot of approaches I've seen start at the notation and work down, but I work the other way and work with the DAW and to the notation software. Is there no hope for me?
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013

Maintaining the MIDI performance is a no no really. It needs to be absolutely hard quantised to the correct position for intent - the performance comes from, well, performing it based on the notes and additional marks in the score.

If you need a note intentionally playing a certain way then this is something you would indicate on the score and communicate with your conductor. To be honest - in all but the simplest of tasks Sibelius tarting up is best left in the hands of an orchestrator after he/she has heard your MIDI version. They are the best person to interpret this stuff. Mine is amazing!!
HUFO_2000
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

So you think it's better just to compose like I have been and have a different head for the transcribing? That would take a large load off my shoulders. In that case, I'd only need to notate parts on occasion. Is that more real world or is it something I should probably still do regardless?
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

I write in Cubase until the full mock-up sounds like a final version. If I need parts after that, I duplicate the project and consolidate all the MIDI articulation tracks to fresh parts, strip out all CC data, strip out some tempo changes that are interpretive but leave ones that are structural, and delete anything that isn't needed for notation.

Then it's just export MIDI file, open in Finale, and engrave it for the performers. I'm usually just doing sweetening and overdubs though. Were it a large scale complete orchestra, I'd follow narcoman's advice and leave the full score notation up to a professional.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFO_2000 View Post
Ok,

What I'm doing now is exporting a painstakingly corrected piece from Cubase into Sibelius via MIDI and correcting it from Sibelius due to the number of oddities induced. However, that seems like way too much work.
Check the settings in Sibelius. When you open a midi file, there are several choices to make that might make your life easier. Also, the playback bar has choices of "live tempo" and "live playback". You want these turned "off" (not pushed in.) There a choices for the smallest note you want, triplets, etc. Look at it for a minute as it's helpful.

When you finally have the midi converted to Sibelius, try this: Let's say you have 5 midi tracks (always export as "type 1). Go to "instruments" and pick the 5 instruments you want (in addition to the 5 you already have). Then, copy each track (click 3 times) and paste the 5 old tracks into the 5 new tracks. Delete the 5 old tracks.

Sibelius has a lot of filters that will help. Do this:

Go to Edit/filter/advanced filter. At the left, pick "text" in the top box then check "text" (and nothing else) below that. In the box that will pop up (middle, top) type this symbol ~ Then press ok (actually, press "select" Make sure "entire score" is checked at top). All the midi cc stuff will appear in blue. Press delete.

If you need help, feel free to pm. I'm a pro orchestrator, I do symphony charts.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search