What do the big libraries charge?
New Reply
Subscribe
Amber
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

What do the big libraries charge?

With a few clients, I seem to compete with the big libraries (Massive, Killer etc)

Does anyone know what they charge companies, people etc for use of the music? Whether it be for use on Youtube, DVD, TV?
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
With a few clients, I seem to compete with the big libraries (Massive, Killer etc)

Does anyone know what they charge companies, people etc for use of the music? Whether it be for use on Youtube, DVD, TV?
There are way too many variables to answer that question easily. Here's what you can do- give the client a quote, and if they laugh at you, you asked too much. If they get back to you wanting a license and an invoice within seconds, well, then you asked too little. My rule is that the amount charged should always give the client pause- it should hurt a little bit, make them stretch the budget a bit. They have to decide that your music is worth it. If they do, then they'll most likely be back. If they have a set budget, they'll tell you up front what they are willing to pay. They will also most likely be willing to tell you what they are paying the competing libraries.
kdm
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
kdm
Gear addict

I would add the following:

1 - If you are competing with libraries, then those clients' music budgets aren't very high, and/or custom music isn't a priority in their production process.

2 - You have to offer something libraries don't, such as a high degree of skill writing to visual.

Sometimes you can sway a client over to hiring you, but shrinking production budgets could eventually push you out unless they learn to love you and can't live without you.

Don't try to compete with library rates. You'll just put yourself out of work. There will always be a cheaper library if budget is their main concern. You have to make the creative contribution of custom music more important than saving money.
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post

depends.

xtreme music for example has the music of remote control/ hans zimmer/etc (its in the same building and also big name artists like junkie xl. then its the exposure the music will have. distribution deals etc.
libraries ask for this for a quote and also see the quality of music they have.
thus, not giving for cheap a very good pieace of music for youtube deals that dont pay many royalties.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search