Project Sam libraries
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Project Sam libraries

Working on the score to a short film at the moment.
Looking to invest in a decent orchestral library.
I just had a look at Symphobia 1 & 2, a bit out of my budget, but, Orchestral Essentials seems to cover decent ground for about $400.
Has anyone purchased this, do you recommend it?
The demos sound fantastic on their site.

I don't need anything too elaborate, so a smaller (but great quality) is actually perfect for now.
Just thought I'd get a few opinions here before taking out the credit card.

Thanks!
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't have Orchestral Essentials, but I do know it shares a similar tone to the Symphobia libraries. They have a fairly large, epic sound IMO. Depending on the style of film, you may also want to look at Spitfire Albion I, or Albion II. Both are in the same ballpark price wise, and offer a full orchestral package similar to Orchestral Essentials...., yet cover different bases sonically.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

If you are looking for a workhorse orchestral library, in my opinion, nothing beats Albion 1 by Spitfire Audio. Strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion etc. It has it all AND it sounds fantastic with all of its mic positions, very flexible.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

I have only heard the demos YouTube. And they sound great. If they are anything like Symphobia, then it should be awesome.

I would also consider you look at Sinokinetic Vivace or Tutti. I've heard these samples and they sound very nice for film score.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Looking at Sonokinetic and Spitfire Audio demos now, damn...
Making decisions harder, they all sound so great!
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Looking at Sonokinetic and Spitfire Audio demos now, damn...
Making decisions harder, they all sound so great!
What did you end up going with, and how do you like it?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSon View Post
What did you end up going with, and how do you like it?
Nothing yet, I'm a bit torn between Project Sam OE and Spitfire Albion I or II.
One day I'd like them all, but for now I need to pick one to get me into that J. Greenwood 'There Will Be Blood' territory, just to throw a quick soundtrack reference out there.
So, nothing too ubiquitous Zimmer-like glossy 'big sounding' Hollywood stuff.

More dissonant string ensembles, chamber-like eeriness, odd glissandos, etc.

If you have any suggestions as to which one to look into closer, by all means I'd appreciate it. They're all so bloody great sounding!
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear maniac

I was trying to decide which one to get about a month ago...I looked into all of them. In the end I went for Albion 1, Evolve and Damage. (the damage and evolve were on some black friday half price deal).
I was looking at the EW stuff..as it was on a great deal too...but theres just too much negativity to the play interface..just put me right off.

The thing with Albion is..is all pre arranged for you. So you get Hi string Legato, Shorts and longs (there are more) and when you play a single note..its recorded that a few instruments play..Which for me is perfect. I know melody/chord and structure...but Im not too sure what the 3rd Violin should be playing in a 20 piece orchestra chord swell..Thats an orchestrators job (i keep telling myself )..if you want total control over every solo instrument..Albions not the one.
After listening too PS orchestral essentials...its sounds really good to me, but its a but trailer sounding and holywood. (which is great and very useful..and i will get Symphobia and LASS at some point) but at the moment I want to get one at a time and really get into it before i move on.
The negative of Albion..is, its a bit soft sounding..so not too good for that Zimmer/Trailer stuff imo. But great for the more tender melodic stuff. It would also have been nice to include a solo Violin/viola/cello. But i think this is covered in Albion 2 and other packages. I did find myself having to go to the Kontakt Stock Orchestral solo instruments the other day for something. But Albion 1 covered the rest..Its a great starter package and step up from the stock stuff everyone has.
Cinematic strings sounded good too...but not a complete package.

As for disonant string packages and eerieness....not sure. They all seem to include those smashed up horror piano sounds and wiered orchestral effects....but to me, they just sound like the score to that "American Horror Story' series. a Bit stock, quick goto stuff. Not too unique.

Cheers,
t
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for your comments tritace, very helpful!

In fact I started zooming in on Albion II last night, I think I just might take the plunge.
Hans Zimmer-esque is exactly what I don't want, so I'm putting Project Sam OE on the back-burner for now.
I have VSL, and it's brilliant in its own way, but as I'm not an experienced orchestrator, it takes many layers, a lot of know-how and articulation switches to make it sound 'big' and convincing.
It can be done, I know, but for this particular project, I need something a bit more 'immediate'.

Alright, I'll keep you posted on what transpires.
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear interested

Empower Network

The negative of Albion..is, its a bit soft sounding..so not too good for that Zimmer/Trailer stuff imo. But great for the more tender melodic stuff. It would also have been nice to include a solo Violin/viola/cello. But i think this is covered in Albion 2 and other packages.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertfehr View Post
The negative of Albion..is, its a bit soft sounding..so not too good for that Zimmer/Trailer stuff imo. But great for the more tender melodic stuff. It would also have been nice to include a solo Violin/viola/cello. But i think this is covered in Albion 2 and other packages.
Thanks, I think I got that the first time around a few replies above.
As mentioned, not looking for lush Zimmer stuff, seems Albion II it will be for starters.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search