Changing tempo in Logic when Video is in project
New Reply
Subscribe
tbfentertainment
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Changing tempo in Logic when Video is in project

I was wondering if anyone of you has come across this (I'm sure you have) and can explain why it does this. And also, is it ok that I do this.

I use Logic 9 to score music to film. My project's tempo is set at 120bpm. I then import the video into Logic and I can compose music.

My issue is with me changing the tempo by speeding it up. Let's say up to 180bpm. The end of the video goes grey and logic stops playing right at that point.

What I have found out that I can do is to start my tempo at say 220bpm before I import the video. Then, I can slow down the tempo and the video does mess up. As long as I make the tempo slower (not going faster than the original tempo of the project) it works fine.

I this safe to do? Is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks for the help.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

tbfentertainment,

if you can formulate your question more precisely, I can help you.
The tempo in Logic has no effect on the movie.
The relationship of the music to the movie will change (if you don't have it smpte locked) but the movie always plays at the same speed.

If Logic stops playing at an earlier time position when increasing Logic's tempo, then it sounds as if you have not moved the "song end position" (the little white box at the top of the time line) to the BAR position where the movie now ends. (Faster tempos need more bars!)

The "Logic pro help" site has lots of threads from knowledgeable members who can help you.

Hope that helps.
tbfentertainment
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

I think you just nailed it!!!! I didn't look to see is this is film just went past the "song end position". Let me check that tonight and I'll let you know.

Thanks.
tbfentertainment
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

Question:
You are the man! I knew it was something a small as that. The end position of the song was being passed up when I increased the tempo. I set my new template with an end position way out there. Now all is well again.

Thanks for the help.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

tbfentertainment,

glad that helped.

If you are new to using Logic for film scoring, then you will soon discover Logic's biggest weakness; you can NOT lock tempo changes to SMPTE.

There are several threads over the past several years at "Logic pro help" where
several very clever members are discussing ways to deal with various tempo issues.

Good luck.
tbfentertainment
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear interested

Question,

Thanks again for the help. I haven't dove into serious need for tempo changes. So I have yet to come across the the limitations of Logic. When I do, I'm hope I can work around it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search