Buy a discounted 2012 Mac Pro? Or Full Price 2013 refresh?
tbfentertainment
Thread Starter
#1
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Buy a discounted 2012 Mac Pro? Or Full Price 2013 refresh?

Sorry mods. I know this might be the wrong forum, but this is the one i follow the most. These guys do the same things I do for the most part, and I'm on a time crunch. Deadline in a few hours. I need input.

Here's my dilema. I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Mac Pro 6-Core computer. I get 25% off and also have $500. I only have this deal for this month. =( Actually, this week.

I know that we're all waiting on the promised 2013 refresh of the Mac Pro. Hopefully getting a new processor, thunderbolt, etc, etc, etc. But, I won't have this discount any longer after this week.

I currently run a MBP Core 2 Duo (2009 model). I run Logic and Final Cut. I mainly use Logic for recording artists, producing and film score. I use Final Cut for my person film projects.

I know that there is no right or wrong answer. i just would like your guys' opinions on what you would do. Do I say forget about the discount and try to save for a full price Mac Pro 2013? Or, do I go ahead and buy the Mac Pro 2012 now?

What do you guys think?
#2
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
The discount is not worth it. The current processor technology is 4-5 years out of date. Wait for the i7 equivalent to hit Mac or you'll regret it.
tbfentertainment
Thread Starter
#3
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
  #3
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Thanks Spidey. I didn't get it.
#4
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #4
Gear addict
 
tomteontour's Avatar
Just ditched my MPro 2010 5.1 for a MBRetina 15" with 16GB Ram. Maybe back in the Game in 2013 depending on specs/pricetag. But really thunderbolt is must have item. Might be a nice workhorse though if the continue down the way in regard of SSD etc.
#5
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 

Just buy a Mac mini server with a magma chassis. You'll save thousands!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
#6
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

I am waiting for the 2013 refresh. My 2006 Mac Pro 3.0 Ghz, 8 core is still running pretty smooth. But, I need the power of the next gen. Mac Pro's Which will only happen when Apple refreshes their Mac Pro line in 2013.

I would recommend you wait for the 2013 Mac Pro models.

Your budget, and the pricing of the new 2013 Mac Pro will be something you need to factor into your decision. For now, there is no info. on 2013 Mac Pro specs, pricing, or when they will be released.

So... If you are in a rush, go for the latest 2012 models, otherwise, waiting has its benefits.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
#7
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #7
Gear addict
 
tomteontour's Avatar
And do take into account.. current Mac Pros had a significant price drop after it was known there is something wicked coming up 2013. When its announced current 5.1 Pros will loose even more value.. sold my 2010 MPro for 1990€ and bought it two years before for 3450€. So if it is a buisness decision as well and you would like to keep the value a little longer : I d wait or bridge it with a mac mini or something.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TonyBelmont / Music Computers
230
kieran kelly / Music Computers
4
OSX86 / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.