Login / Register

Paying for submitting your music to licensing opportunities. What are your thoughts?
New Reply
Subscribe
oscarproducer
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

Paying for submitting your music to licensing opportunities. What are your thoughts?

I have been checking some websites offering licensing opportunities. Some are well known and ask for a subscription fee plus a ( low ) submission fee every time you want to apply for an opportunity. I found one asking just for submission fees.

I understand the music business is changing and, if genuine, these companies offer in theory a great service, however I am struggling to come to terms with the concept of paying to get work. A commission on the payout would feel more appropriate to me.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Oscar
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012

Big no from me. Invariably its getting people to pay who may have no chance at all. Having a business model of pay to play is leeching of the dreams of others.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear addict

Horrible idea, don't do it.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

NO
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Guru

Big, big no. If they can't make adequate money actually LICENSING music, then I don't want to pay them for my music to sit around - unlicensed.
oscarproducer
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

Thank you all for your answers.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

NO here as well.

A licensing company with good street cred and reputation knows their revenue will come from the share they get from the actual license fee, which is more often than not, the bigger piece of the pie.

Paying them just to submit a track is just wrong, imo.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

No!
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What about Music X-Ray? Anyone had any success on that one? It's not a licensing company, but more like an aggregator for musicians and licensing companies, etc. They charge an amount that varies between $5 and $25 bucks for submitting.

But back to what the others are saying, if the actual licensing co is charging then I'd stay away. I really like Crucial Music, they don't charge, but DAMN they take like 1.5 months to review and consider a track.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Big no from me. Invariably its getting people to pay who may have no chance at all. Having a business model of pay to play is leeching of the dreams of others.
Spot on Narcoman.

There are plenty of online libraries that will accept your work into their library for free...charge you a % if and when you sync. Music Library Report for further reading.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Another big No Way.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

honestly, filmmusic.net is the only "pay" site I have had any luck with (they at least got me talking with someone from a library). The rest of them cost more and gave me zero results...
But the reality is you are probably better without...I have signed tracks to music Libraries on my own and I have never signed any tracks through any pay sites.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

+1 to NO Way!

Or... if you don't want to heed that advice, you and your friends can send me money every month. I promise i might consider listening to it, and possibly getting it into the right hands maybe... lol
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

You'd have to be crazy. Those sites are a scam.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

Taxi anyone? I was thinking about signing up... As far as I know, you have to pay to submit as well. Worth it? Just a thought.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

No way - no different to paying someone so you can play at a venue, which is something I've heard of.....crazy times
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
CEO - Z-Shift LLC

Never... And I run a licensing company! Hahaha

Don't do it. You're worth more than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeko View Post
Taxi anyone? I was thinking about signing up... As far as I know, you have to pay to submit as well. Worth it? Just a thought.
Anyone had any experience with Taxi ?
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Gear maniac

7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, I did use TAXI and also Hit License... I am doing a one year test on TAXI and see how it goes, so far nothing. I also used Hit License where I have submited a couple of songs, nothing happened so far.

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to molengat1 Send a message via Yahoo to molengat1 Send a message via Skype™ to molengat1
I have several years experience fumbling around on these sites including Taxi, Music X-ray, YouLicense and some others mentioned here. I have found the best site to be Broadjam. That said, keep in mind - a lot depends on how good you are. When I was with Taxi, my material wasn't good yet. I blamed Taxi for the lack of response but in reality my material probably wasn't up to snuff at the time. The problem is that most of our friends tell us our material is good because they want to be nice instead of giving us honest, critical and constructive assessments. The truth is, you need to have good material that is usable, accessible, of high production value and easy to license - i.e. all cleared/no acid loops or samples, mixed properly, etc). If you reach that level, you will get hits on these sites. If you stink (but think you are good) you will not be successful and the licensing sites will get all the blame.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear maniac

Nobody should have to pay. Their business model stinks and they can't make money from licensing.

Let your music do the talking and get onto libraries that charge you nothing.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by molengat1 View Post
I have several years experience fumbling around on these sites including Taxi, Music X-ray, YouLicense and some others mentioned here. I have found the best site to be Broadjam. That said, keep in mind - a lot depends on how good you are. When I was with Taxi, my material wasn't good yet. I blamed Taxi for the lack of response but in reality my material probably wasn't up to snuff at the time. The problem is that most of our friends tell us our material is good because they want to be nice instead of giving us honest, critical and constructive assessments. The truth is, you need to have good material that is usable, accessible, of high production value and easy to license - i.e. all cleared/no acid loops or samples, mixed properly, etc). If you reach that level, you will get hits on these sites. If you stink (but think you are good) you will not be successful and the licensing sites will get all the blame.
That's to be assumed.
They make their money off of 'hopefuls' that will likely never see the light of day.

I strongly suggest, if going with one of these companies, that you choose one that has a stake in you getting a placement. IE, they don't get paid unless you do.
Mrx
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Mrx
Gear Head

I've been using Taxi for a number of years although have submitted very little in the last couple of years. They hooked me up with 2 libraries in the past and have done really well with one of them.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx View Post
I've been using Taxi for a number of years although have submitted very little in the last couple of years. They hooked me up with 2 libraries in the past and have done really well with one of them.
What do you mean by 'hook you up' with libraries?

I guess Taxi aren't who I thought they were. Sounds like a middle man who gets you onto other libraries - I don't really get it. Do you pay them?

Sounds kinda odd. Surely you don't need a company to hook you up.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by molengat1 View Post
Well all the sites you mentioned are the wrong ones.
Click on the link to music Library report and you will get your dose of all the companies who license music everywhere.Its worth the money for the info you will get if you think your material is good enough and quality enough to play on TV.
I license a track every 3 or 4 days at various sites,some pay a little,some pay more for the kind of use.
I have a handful that pay me every month non exclusively and its not bad but my exclusive deal pays way more.A mix of everything is even better.
We are now just passing 100 tracks in our Catalog of Instrumental cues.
If you have success from the first try out keep going cause it takes a long long time to build a catalog of useful music that works out in the media world
and there are a lot of really talented composers across the landscape.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
Well all the sites you mentioned are the wrong ones.
Click on the link to music Library report and you will get your dose of all the companies who license music everywhere.Its worth the money for the info you will get if you think your material is good enough and quality enough to play on TV.
I license a track every 3 or 4 days at various sites,some pay a little,some pay more for the kind of use.
I have a handful that pay me every month non exclusively and its not bad but my exclusive deal pays way more.A mix of everything is even better.
We are now just passing 100 tracks in our Catalog of Instrumental cues.
If you have success from the first try out keep going cause it takes a long long time to build a catalog of useful music that works out in the media world
and there are a lot of really talented composers across the landscape.
good to see you dan! We need to talk. You still @ the same number? PM me......

And listen to dan. He knows what he's talking about.
Mrx
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Mrx
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
What do you mean by 'hook you up' with libraries?

I guess Taxi aren't who I thought they were. Sounds like a middle man who gets you onto other libraries - I don't really get it. Do you pay them?

Sounds kinda odd. Surely you don't need a company to hook you up.
Yes Taxi is a middle man ie. not a library. You pay an annual subscription fee + a $5 fee everytime you submit. They have ex or current music biz A and R staff who listen to the music and decides whether it's appropriate to forward to the listed company. If it's not appropriate they'll usually give you short feedback. The opportunities are sometimes from companies that aren't so easy to approach by yourself.

There are mixed views about whether it's a good or bad thing to have a middle man. I signed up initially because I had worked with some major libraries in UK through my own contacts and who no longer needed me. I was really keen to get into the US market and back then there were a lot less libraries around and a lot less information.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx View Post
Yes Taxi is a middle man ie. not a library. You pay an annual subscription fee + a $5 fee everytime you submit. They have ex or current music biz A and R staff who listen to the music and decides whether it's appropriate to forward to the listed company. If it's not appropriate they'll usually give you short feedback. The opportunities are sometimes from companies that aren't so easy to approach by yourself.

There are mixed views about whether it's a good or bad thing to have a middle man. I signed up initially because I had worked with some major libraries in UK through my own contacts and who no longer needed me. I was really keen to get into the US market and back then there were a lot less libraries around and a lot less information.
I see, interesting. Thanks a lot for getting back to me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search