Need advice on first commercial opportunity
dannyDee
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Need advice on first commercial opportunity

Hi all,

I have lurked around GS for a while and have learned a lot. Now it is time for me to ask just a few questions. I have been given an opportunity to submit a music demo for a local tv commercial. Up until now I've done live and studio jobs and know nothing about the commercial business. I am excited to have the opportunity and am eager to learn. So, here are the questions:

What book(s) should I buy right now to get me up to speed?

Do I sign up with a PRO and do contracts that way or get with a music attorney to draft a contract for the job? Do I need both?

Any other information or advice would be most appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to any replies.

DannyD
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyDee View Post
Hi all,

I have lurked around GS for a while and have learned a lot. Now it is time for me to ask just a few questions. I have been given an opportunity to submit a music demo for a local tv commercial. Up until now I've done live and studio jobs and know nothing about the commercial business. I am excited to have the opportunity and am eager to learn. So, here are the questions:

What book(s) should I buy right now to get me up to speed?

Do I sign up with a PRO and do contracts that way or get with a music attorney to draft a contract for the job? Do I need both?

Any other information or advice would be most appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to any replies.

DannyD
Hi Danny, congrats! I would suggest you focus on the demo first with your eye on not just winning this specific ad -- win the client/account.
Keep in mind you are likely one of several who have been invited, and you might be the only one with no experience.

You can deal with the other issues later.
dannyDee
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAlchemist View Post
Hi Danny, congrats! I would suggest you focus on the demo first with your eye on not just winning this specific ad -- win the client/account.
Keep in mind you are likely one of several who have been invited, and you might be the only one with no experience.

Thank you for the advice and congrats. You're right. I got distracted with those questions and took a little break from working on the demo to post here. I will stay focus and check back later pending the outcome.

I really appreciate the reply.

DannyD
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAlchemist View Post

I agree.

Getting your track used in a commercial is a crapshoot. The producer of the commercial has a large number of demos, and he/she will choose what he/she feels works best. Your demo is one of many - that may not even get heard if the "right one" is at the top of the pile. Hopeully you are at least getting a demo fee of a couple, few hundred.

As for the book to get you up to speed - I am not sure such a book exists. There are books out there that have some good info about various things, but a book to help you write a good track for a commercial? Don't think so.

As for the PRO, you should sign up with either ASCAP or BMI if you are going to be writing music professionaly/commercially. Both have their advantages; I personally am with ASCAP, and it has worked out fine. There is also SESAC, but I don't know enough about them to comment. Note to self: do some research! If I were you, I would sign up as a writer NOW. If the track you write does get chosen, you are going to be asked for your PRO # (with ASCAP, it's an IPI Number). If you don't have one, and all of a sudden get a phone call asking for your PRO #, you are going to have to say to the person on the other end, "err, emm, let me get back to you on that." That looks unprofessional.

You don't need an attorney. The contract will not be drafted by you; an already drafted contract will instead be given to you to sign. It will be a standard run of the mill contract, with the only real changes being the date, the commercial name, and your name. Maybe another one or two, but that's it. You can get an attorney to have a look at the contract, but if the client is a reputable, known entity, you should not have anything to worry about; it's the same contract that everyone else signs who does work for them. If not, just have a look at it, and if there is anything that scares you, then get an attorney.

Good luck!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search