EWQL/LASS/VSL/first library 1-2k budget
New Reply
Subscribe
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I always thought VEP Pro wasn't anything special due to being so cheap.
It's not "special". It's groundbreaking and life changing. Making the impossible or at least the very unweildy - easy. It's really not that hard once you've done it a time or two.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver View Post
I think the interest is to use it with a dual computer setup isn't it?
Is it as easy?
Maybe not a tutorial but something explaining the general concept.
Seems to ease the loading of heavy projects and i can't figure how. At least if this imply only one computer.
It works like a daw in slave mode? Can you load non VSL instruments in it?
IMHO the best thing about VEP is that it's holding all your big sample based VIs. So as Drbill mentioned, you don't have to 'reload' all your samples when switching between cues. If your template takes 15 minutes to load, and you switch between 10 cues in a day, that's a pretty decent chunk of time. So even if your just using one computer, it still has a huge benefit when it comes to workflow. I do believe you can use a slave PC with a master running OSX.... Though I've never done it.

Yes, you can load non-VSL instruments. Basically any AU plugin.... On the Mac that is.... VST for windows obviously.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear interested

I have many of those libraries going back to the old Kompakt EWG, which I run in Kontakt, not the EW Play, with SIPS 205.
I really think that the all of the EW stuff sounds great, but if you want to "CONTROL" (rather then use prerecorded one size fits all artics-and there is value in that-I've used them for years-but you have to write to the libraries limitations and capabilities with them) things like sus to trill (or any artic combo) transitions, independent (bynote) tuning, Vel xfades-cc xfades, etc, all of which you will eventually wish you could do, then to my knowledge you are going to have to look at the Players even before the libraries. The VSL developers Instruments Pro 2 and NI Kontakt developers with KSP scripting plus SIPS & WIPS have always been a step ahead of most others. LASS SAMPLE MOD, 8DIO, SPITFIRE,CINESAMPLES are all genius programs built using Kontakt. Play 4 is still a ongoing rumor, for about 3 years now. That said, Nick Phoenix-Thomas Bergeron are amongst the best at this stuff, libraries like SILK are beautiful instruments and I own 7 of their libraries, but you have to run there stuff in Play.
One more thing tho, if you choose VSL. They by far provide the most in terms of articulations, instruments and probably playability. If you want to write like the 80's polish guys for film then you need artics beyond Legatos, Trills &Stacs. They are also ther only company I know of that has a modular download, ie you can buy just a Solo Clarinet.
But make sure of how you want to work before starting to spend money with them or anyone. Are you going to layer? If so, with Ensms or Solo Ens combos. Will they phase?
With VSL, if you want to lean towards Solo Instruments, you may want to invest in independent but articulation rich Solo String,.WW & BRASSES rather then the Orchestral. The Solo samples from both sources are from the same pool so deciding you want to go to solos after buying the full Orch with Solos means you're buying a lot of stuff twice.
But all of the companies run Vid demos now. Watch the VSL,8dio,SPITFIRE,CINEBRASS, QL, PROJ SAM, SAMPLEMOD. (I own stuff from all of them) watch how the vids utilize controllers andd afterwords come on forums like this with questions about workflow because once you've bought you can't send it back. And think Cubase or Logic, the most liquid of sequencers for this work, something you'll start to see as you go the tough the forums. Good Luck, don't rush your choices as they all cost you $, avoid GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)!!
Happy Holidays.
g
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's not "special". It's groundbreaking and life changing. Making the impossible or at least the very unweildy - easy. It's really not that hard once you've done it a time or two.

+1. I have a tutorial on it in my book "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9"

jasher@eastwestsounds.com

Logic Certified Trainer and author of "Going Pro With Logic Pro 9"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search