Login / Register
 
Soundtrack
New Reply
Subscribe
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#1
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Soundtrack

Hello,

I have attached my movie soundtrack, completely composed,programmed and mixed by me. Take a listen guys. If you are interested do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks fellow slutz. I am truly enjoying this advanced digital age, because the lines between music composing, producing, programming, mixing really got blurred. At the end of the day its all about joy ride. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MUSIC SCORE.mp3 (6.90 MB, 188 views)
#2
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
  #2
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 275

Jay Rose is offline
They only reason I'm aware of this is because I just joined Gearslutz today, so I had to read the TOS:

Quote:
19. Please do not post ‘check out this mix!’ or ‘advice requested on my song!’ type posts in the open forums. There is a Work-In-Progress / Advice Requested subforum for this purpose. Posts of this type outside of that subforum will be deleted and warnings/infractions issued.
So, uh...
#3
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
  #3
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 690

Ghosted is offline
WTF? That's not a soundtrack...

Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#4
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #4
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
WTF? That's not a soundtrack...


What do you mean? I am a serious music composer. This is an action film and this music is the prelude to the film. My music scores are highly praised by Maestro Zubin mehta and other top musicians. Below is the professor of music and symphony orchestra conductors opinion about my symphony {composed when I was 17}:

To Whom It May Concern:

It was my privilege to go through and study the score of the g-minor symphony written by this amazing young composer. The maturity of this major work belies both his age and his background. It is truly a fine work, complete with good ideas, solid form and orchestration that would be equal or superior to the work of many “arrived” composers.

With great interest, I will follow this outstanding talent, who, I’m sure, will startle the world of music.


Admiringly,

William Skelton
Professor of Music, Emeritus
Former Conductor, Colgate Concert Orchestra
Director, India Study Group
Colgate University
Hamilton, New York
U.S.A.
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#5
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
They only reason I'm aware of this is because I just joined Gearslutz today, so I had to read the TOS:



So, uh...

I am not asking for any comments. Just discussing today's trend in post production process. I am talking about the lines blurred between composing, producing,recording,mixing stages. You can also see the below post and understand what I mean.

Universal Studios to close their Feature Film Sound Department
Universal Studios to close their Feature Film Sound Department
#6
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #6
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
The lines aren't blurred. Theyre still distinct. Just thy use smaller outsources these days or companies like cutting edge. The business model has changed, not been removed.


Why did you post your music by the way?
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#7
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #7
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
The lines aren't blurred. Theyre still distinct. Just thy use smaller outsources these days or companies like cutting edge. The business model has changed, not been removed.


Why did you post your music by the way?
IMO,Advancing Technology seriously makes the lines blurred. Because, it is making musician to have all these things within his hands reach. In my case, I have my own high end recording studio with all the gears that high end post facility can offer. Even in my programming workstation, I use 5.1 Equator Q15 Monitors with sub.

Why did you post your music by the way?

Because, to show the results done by a musician.
I regularly give my music as a single 5.1 track for post production, so they can balance the music master with the dialogues,FX.
#8
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #8
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
IMO,Advancing Technology seriously makes the lines blurred.
How so? I've yet tp hear a mix done by someone under 35 ish that is any good. Even more so in the soundtrack world. Composition and Production - sure... heard lots that has greta potential and works very well from composers as you as 30. But I've never, I mean NEVER heard a mix that sits up next to someone who's spent 20 years perfecting her/his workflow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Because, it is making musician to have all these things within his hands reach.
Putting a fast racing car in the hands of everyone does not a race car driver make. Putting technology in inexperienced hands does not make a great post production mixer. The lines haven't blurred. In fact - I've seen many people try to be all things; can't think of very many composer/producer/mixers that are top of their game. In fact I can't actually think of ANY outside of some EDM music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
In my case, I have my own high end recording studio with all the gears that high end post facility can offer.
Well thats' great. Define high end though? Also - owning equipment doesn't maketh the man or woman. Experience does. Youth and vigour will get you through EDM genres; and more power to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Even in my programming workstation, I use 5.1 Equator Q15 Monitors with sub.

Why did you post your music by the way?

Because, to show the results done by a musician.
I regularly give my music as a single 5.1 track for post production, so they can balance the music master with the dialogues,FX.
I cant comment on the music and nor should I . Art is art ( although sounded like a VST version of a Paul Haslinger track). I could comment on the mix or programming if you like?

Without the picture you composed it to, though, I can't give you any feedback with regard to suitability. I only know this - I work in score mixing for film and media - I get hired by producers to rework mixes or sort out music from composers, and often the composer is extremely fekking offended! What they don't realise is that those who no longer composer can look at the details without a sense of personal investment. It's why working on your own is a waste of time or at best quite low brow. You don't get big gigs doing it all yourself. The nearest I know who gets to that is Gareth Johnson but he doesn't often do all roles in each project.
#9
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #9
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 690

Ghosted is offline
Quote:
I cant comment on the music and nor should I . Art is art ( although sounded like a VST version of a Paul Haslinger track). I could comment on the mix or programming if you like?
To me it sounded like a really weak version of this style:



@Newwavemix: Clouser hangs around here sometimes, you should check out his posts.
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#10
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #10
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
How so? I've yet tp hear a mix done by someone under 35 ish that is any good. Even more so in the soundtrack world. Composition and Production - sure... heard lots that has greta potential and works very well from composers as you as 30. But I've never, I mean NEVER heard a mix that sits up next to someone who's spent 20 years perfecting her/his workflow.



Putting a fast racing car in the hands of everyone does not a race car driver make. Putting technology in inexperienced hands does not make a great post production mixer. The lines haven't blurred. In fact - I've seen many people try to be all things; can't think of very many composer/producer/mixers that are top of their game. In fact I can't actually think of ANY outside of some EDM music.


Well thats' great. Define high end though? Also - owning equipment doesn't maketh the man or woman. Experience does. Youth and vigour will get you through EDM genres; and more power to them.


I cant comment on the music and nor should I . Art is art ( although sounded like a VST version of a Paul Haslinger track). I could comment on the mix or programming if you like?


Without the picture you composed it to, though, I can't give you any feedback with regard to suitability. I only know this - I work in score mixing for film and media - I get hired by producers to rework mixes or sort out music from composers, and often the composer is extremely fekking offended! What they don't realise is that those who no longer composer can look at the details without a sense of personal investment. It's why working on your own is a waste of time or at best quite low brow. You don't get big gigs doing it all yourself. The nearest I know who gets to that is Gareth Johnson but he doesn't often do all roles in each project.
I respect all the peoples involved in different stages. I am not offending any mixers. Mixer is like a orchestral conductor. Its not like that only the conductor can able to execute the music well. A Composer can also able to bring the music well [ex:gustav mahler]. Its the same thing happening in the overdubbed music in this recording era.

As a mixer, you can comment on my mix.
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#11
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
To me it sounded like a really weak version of this style:



@Newwavemix: Clouser hangs around here sometimes, you should check out his posts.

Do you ever heard a pre-mastered mix? I posted my pre-mastered version. My mastered version sounds way more bigger than the one you quoted.
#12
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #12
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 690

Ghosted is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Do you ever heard a pre-mastered mix? I posted my pre-mastered version. My mastered version sounds way more bigger than the one you quoted.
Just because something sounds big doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good.
#13
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Pedantic Sound's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NYC

Pedantic Sound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Do you ever heard a pre-mastered mix? I posted my pre-mastered version. My mastered version sounds way more bigger than the one you quoted.
Not sure if troll...
#14
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #14
CEO - Z-Shift LLC
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,584

jrhager84 is offline
Yikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
#15
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #15
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6

almper is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Do you ever heard a pre-mastered mix? I posted my pre-mastered version. My mastered version sounds way more bigger than the one you quoted.
Nice music. Your pre mastered mix itself sounds great. What sequencer are you using for programming? Does mixing is also done in your DAW?

I also think the gap between artistic and technical things slowly merges. This is the big improvement of digital audio.
#16
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
  #16
Matt R. Sherman
 
Smallbudgetguru's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 600

Smallbudgetguru is offline
I only listened to a little of the original post. I agree it's not super impressive on its own but how can you comment on a score for motion picture WITHOUT THe PICTURE?!?!?! If it supports the actions and emotions on screen and the director feels like his/her vision is achieved then that's what matters.

To critique the piece alone, I'd say it sounds like a low budget MOW or video game at most. Too electronic for my tastes. The Clouser does sound more "pro" But maybe with the image it works perfectly. We will never know so its a moot point without its accompanying picture.

The forums rules state not to post mixes for comments fine. But the OP decides to disobey that he can at least post his score with the picture or its pointless
__________________
Matt R. Sherman - Gift Of Sound
http://www.giftofsound.ca
http://www.imdb.me/mattrsherman
#17
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
pethenis's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 618

pethenis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbudgetguru View Post
To critique the piece alone, I'd say it sounds like a low budget MOW or video game at most. Too electronic for my tastes.
Couldn't have said it any better, it's not bad, but the sounds are quite generic, mastering is not going to improve that.

For me, you blew it in your "serious composer/praise" post. Oh and the part about "I have all the highend gear"didn't help either. And lines are getting blurred, but that's because of more people failing to recognize quality and/or the willingness/ability to pay for it.
#18
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #18
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
And lines are getting blurred, but that's because of more people failing to recognize quality and/or the willingness/ability to pay for it.
I don't think the lines ARE blurred... not on "product" anyway. The money's down, absolutely, but the money end of the biz (i.e. movies, TV and games that make money - actually even those that dont but at least have a production budget) haven't shied away yet. Yet!!
#19
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
pethenis's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 618

pethenis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I don't think the lines ARE blurred... not on "product" anyway. The money's down, absolutely, but the money end of the biz (i.e. movies, TV and games that make money - actually even those that dont but at least have a production budget) haven't shied away yet. Yet!!
I'm not on the money end of the biz, but I know I'm not alone. For laughs, I just came back from a meeting to discuss audio post on a 45 minute "adventurer" doc. Shot largely by the adventurer himself on small HD-cams and GoPro's, so you know what to expect.
Total production budget: 100K euro, time/budget for audio post (plain stereo, M&E and stems) 2 days for a grand total of 1000 euro...

This is a commissioned program by a national broadcaster and the budget was "dictated" by the broadcaster to the production companies. "This is what we budget if we have it mixed by our inhouse soundstudio".

I just left it at "I can't compete with that"...
Newwavemix
Thread Starter
#20
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #20
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7

Thread Starter
Newwavemix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
Couldn't have said it any better, it's not bad, but the sounds are quite generic, mastering is not going to improve that.

For me, you blew it in your "serious composer/praise" post. Oh and the part about "I have all the highend gear"didn't help either. And lines are getting blurred, but that's because of more people failing to recognize quality and/or the willingness/ability to pay for it.
Do you ever heard a pre-mastered mix done by a top engineer? If not, check this link:
Chris Lord Alge mix on a new band....

Nowadays, digital technology eases the musician to achieve his mixing results in the same league. Quality wise, My output translates very well on both theaters and consumer formats. Directors and producers are happy.

Overly squashed dynamics, sounds too quiet in theatrical world. How can you tell that "I have all the highend gear"didn't help either". In my side all are happy. Going to track orchestra. Good luck.
#21
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #21
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Nowadays, digital technology eases the musician to achieve his mixing results in the same league.
No it doesn't. It gives you tools such that you might be able to do it - but as I mentioned earlier - I find very few people who CAN do it. The tech has a unfortunate side effect - a lot of people THINK they can now produce what CLA does. There is a difference between what a person thinks they scan do and what the rest of the market thinks.
#22
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
  #22
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwavemix View Post
Going to track orchestra. Good luck.
there in itself is a job that requires expertise.
#23
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
  #23
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 15

tbfentertainment is offline
Wow. I stumbled upon this post. I couldn't stop reading. Tried to but couldn't. Wow is all I can say. As someone said earlier, to say you are a film composer but provide an example of only audio, it doesn't truly show film composing. It shows you can produce music.

And your example is something along the lines if electronic music. It's not something dramatic or emotional like a Hams Zimmer piece.

If all I was able to do was "hear" that piece, I'd say good track. But to say you composed that piece for film, I'd need to see the film as well.
#24
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
  #24
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,037

Paradox is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
No it doesn't. It gives you tools such that you might be able to do it - but as I mentioned earlier - I find very few people who CAN do it. The tech has a unfortunate side effect - a lot of people THINK they can now produce what CLA does. There is a difference between what a person thinks they scan do and what the rest of the market thinks.

I agree, you can get cheap tools now. But putting a six year old in the seat of a Lamborghini doesn't mean he knows how to drive it.
#25
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
  #25
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11,679

narcoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I agree, you can get cheap tools now. But putting a six year old in the seat of a Lamborghini doesn't mean he knows how to drive it.
LOL
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Rowdy / Music Computers
0
cymatics / Music For Picture
1
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time!
11
BevvyB / Music For Picture
6
Saucyjack / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.