Production Music library vs Song Catalogue
New Reply
Subscribe
AnthonyRochester
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Production Music library vs Song Catalogue

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the business of music licensing, and I'm a bit confused about the distinction between production music and non production music. I know that production music is generally produced to be part of a large library of material that can be used many times. The thing is, licensing fees for production music are always lower than for other music.

E.g. in Australia, APRA (our PRO) publishes its production music rate card each year, used for calculating fees for production music, depending on usage, territories etc. According to that, placing a production music piece less than 30sec in a free-to-air national TV show would earn me $44.
I think it was last year that I got a song placed in a free-to-air national TV show, and my publisher collected a $300 license fee for the master. This wasn't "production music", it was a "song" of mine.

Can anyone explain what the distinction is here?
AnthonyRochester
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Oh and as another example, I found this site which has two distinct libraries, one is a production music library, the other is a song catalogue. I assume that licensing fees would be different between the two?
MUSIC FOR PRODUCTIONS - STOCK MUSIC
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search