New Reply
Subscribe
Dayo
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

What's an appropriate fee?

Hi everyone.

I have a piece of voiceover that's 30 seconds long. I'd like to get it scored with some original music. My goal is to have the music act as a perfect frame for the v/o, so that the tempo and rhythm match the tempo and rhythm of the v/o and any musical accents act as punctuation to the text. You get the picture?

It's not for commercial use and will never go on air. It's simply for demo purposes but it needs to have a network "finished" quality.

Given those criteria, what would be an appropriate kind of fee to offer? And secondly, which section would be most apt to post the project in? This one? Jobs offered? Another site altogether?

Many thanks
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Hi everyone.

I have a piece of voiceover that's 30 seconds long. I'd like to get it scored with some original music. My goal is to have the music act as a perfect frame for the v/o, so that the tempo and rhythm match the tempo and rhythm of the v/o and any musical accents act as punctuation to the text. You get the picture?

It's not for commercial use and will never go on air. It's simply for demo purposes but it needs to have a network "finished" quality.

Given those criteria, what would be an appropriate kind of fee to offer? And secondly, which section would be most apt to post the project in? This one? Jobs offered? Another site altogether?

Many thanks
If you can find an up an coming composer you may get your 30 second spot for nothing or very little. I would contact a local college or conservatory of music and see if one of their students wants to do this for credit. If you go to a commercial jingle provider you maybe in for some sticker shock. I have seen commercial music go for as little as $100 for a 30 second spot to over $400 for the same spot. If you go to a big name composer the sky is the limit.

Best of luck!

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
14th August 2012
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful, but suggesting rates for other people is rather difficult. How much you would charge is dependent on how fast you can work, the quality of your work and the budget of your client. It's something of a juggling match between those.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Re:What's an appropriate fee?

>More
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
If you can find an up an coming composer you may get your 30 second spot for nothing or very little. I would contact a local college or conservatory of music and see if one of their students wants to do this for credit.
Yeah - but neither scenario is going to allow him to wind up with network "finished" quality.

And yeah, commercial jingle providers are going to charge more than it's probably worth for something that is only for demo purposes.

Cheers.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have seen commercial music go for as little as $100 for a 30 second spot to over $400 for the same spot.
That's the bargain of the century.

OP - I'd start looking at music libraries. Find something that is close to what you're looking for, and re-record your VO to match up with the music. It will be much, much cheaper.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search