please help, royalties on a movie film score?
redredstudio
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Head

please help, royalties on a movie film score?

hey guys,

Any idea (ball park) from experience please, how much money we talking for royalties on a movie film score? DVD SALES Estimate 100-300K (could be more) will hit select theaters, and have major distro

I will have 100% writer share, and 50% (I hope) pub.
Approx. 20-30 min of music. 15-20 cues

I just can't find anything in terms of numbers.
those who can answer..... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Royalties in film are a tricky thing, I thought most music score was a paid per gig deal no royalties on DVDs sold. I know in video games for instance, the vast majority of artists see no money in royalties from tracks on the video game because the gaming companies can argue that individual artists song contributes in virtually no way to the decision to purchase said game by the customer.

You might want to talk to the distributors/producers/whoever is in charge of that sort of thing.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

I've only limited experience with this but I just looked up a couple links that seem to confirm my understanding, which is:
You only collect royalties where there is a preexisting deal for your PRO to collect royalties. This includes most tv and radio performance but doesn't include theatrical performance or DVD release or download of any kind.

http://www.ascap.com/members/payment/whocollect.aspx

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=39

Basically you are looking at $0 in royalties unless the film gets played on tv somewhere down the road. There can be mechanical royalties if there's a soundtrack album released and based on sales of that (if that's in your contract, but that doesn't have anything to do with your PRO). I've never experienced or known anyone else who's experienced mechanical royalties on DVD sales though. I mean, maybe John Williams has the pull to get away with something like that, but that would be a whole other level, and is all just speculation on my part anyway.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerMan View Post
....royalties...(don't) include theatrical performance or DVD release or download of any kind.

Basically you are looking at $0 in royalties unless the film gets played on tv somewhere down the road. There can be mechanical royalties if there's a soundtrack album released and based on sales of that (if that's in your contract, but that doesn't have anything to do with your PRO)....
This is my understanding as well and consistent with the deals I have signed that were fairly standard. No royalties for anything except if the film is broadcast. As you said, "There can be mechanical royalties if there's a soundtrack album released" but ONLY if you have it in your agreement NOW. I have worked that into 2 deals but I also knew that I should not COUNT ON THAT as part of my fee. And that is wholly separate from BMI or ASCAP (PRO).
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the confirmation. Agrees with other forum responses, etc. that I've just found.

CK
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012

its residuals for synch re-use of your music that you need to look at. Work it hard baby!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search