Login / Register

Ridley Scott to direct Blade Runner sequel...will Vangelis get soundtrack?
New Reply
Subscribe
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
Why not Vangelis? If I were him I would want it.
Oh, it has to be Vangelis, I would not imagine this film without him, with a CS-80 or not, he can make it work... Take a look what he did for Alexander, he didn't use the CS-80 and it sounds epic:

Vangelis scores Alexander - YouTube

I also am for bringing back all the other artists and production designers who worked on the original Blade Runner film, e.g. Douglas Trumbull, Syd Mead, etc. Their work through the years is nothing short than amazing.

dave
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

To me it sounds tired and a bit bland. It's the kind of stuff he can do in his sleep. The best example of this style, which did work is the 1492 score. It's one of the best soundtracks Vangelis has created.

I watched Alexander and in places I felt that the music just did not convey what the images tried to show. Big washes of octave strings just don't do it for me anymore, I'm affraid (a simplistic summary, I know, but there you go).
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Agreed. It probably works for most consumers of these movies, but I'm completely bored of either Hans-Zimmer's or Vangelis' kind of "bombastic-orchestral-groove-arrangements". Anyone with a GM set can do it, every video game has it. Use a few fifth chords with brass, add strings and choir, build kettle drum groove, done.

The hard thing is to create musical substance. The original Blade runner soundtrack has that, and the uniquely haunted sounds blend perfectly with the visuals. There are a lot of small details that make sure of this.

"We used an Electroharmonix Electric Mistress flanger pedal on 'Memories Of Green', putting a Steinway Grand through it. The electronic noises on there came from one of the first hand-held electronic games, a Japanese thing called the Bambino UFO Master Blaster Station! I had to play it for the length of the piece without losing the game, because when you lost, it made the most horrible noise."

20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AnalogGuy Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Agreed. It probably works for most consumers of these movies, but I'm completely bored of either Hans-Zimmer's or Vangelis' kind of "bombastic-orchestral-groove-arrangements". Anyone with a GM set can do it, every video game has it. Use a few fifth chords with brass, add strings and choir, build kettle drum groove, done.

The hard thing is to create musical substance. The original Blade runner soundtrack has that, and the uniquely haunted sounds blend perfectly with the visuals. There are a lot of small details that make sure of this.

"We used an Electroharmonix Electric Mistress flanger pedal on 'Memories Of Green', putting a Steinway Grand through it. The electronic noises on there came from one of the first hand-held electronic games, a Japanese thing called the Bambino UFO Master Blaster Station! I had to play it for the length of the piece without losing the game, because when you lost, it made the most horrible noise."

The Memories of green was not originally made for Blade runner but appeared in the album "See you later" in 1980. The song was made to describe the feelings of the future when all "green" (nature) was gone because of pollution or whatever like that.

Quote:
Anyone with a GM set can do it
Please, go ahead and do that without overdubbing... I would like to hear what will you come with. Everything was improvised and recorded once, that's why it may sound a bit bland. Still it won the best original score award. How many such soundtracks that could be made with GM wins awards?
"I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bullshit computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: "With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes". This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!" - Vangelis
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
The problem with the Blade Runner soundtrack is that it doesn't sound good.

Back in the day, it sounded AMAZING. It hasn't aged well at all.

20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Did Ridley want to save the presumption that Deckard was a replicant himself for the sequel?

It could be interesting... but there's no way you'll get the same vibe as the original, with slow shots...taking time for things, and most importantly letting the soundtrack somehow dictate the pace of the movie instead of being just "a" soundtrack.

As soon as big hollywood money gets involved you'll know how things end up looking...it's sad really.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
It could be interesting... but there's no way you'll get the same vibe as the original, with slow shots...taking time for things, and most importantly letting the soundtrack somehow dictate the pace of the movie instead of being just "a" soundtrack.

As soon as big hollywood money gets involved you'll know how things end up looking...it's sad really.
Alas, you could be right.
I will probably be aimed at modern kids and they need ACTION..
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

But I sincerely hope that story/script is there. If it is, Ridley will do something good with it- Gladiator had a very simple and obvious plot. I like it, but it doesn't touch early Scott movies in any way.

Prometheus looks more interesting than I would expect- I love both Blade Runner and Alien dearly and they are both very hard acts to follow. Cameron did it well in Aliens (I watched this last night) and Fincher Almost (in my humble) got it but was thwarted by Fox intervention (which is the biggest threat to Prometheus).

As has been stated- the music in both these films- particularly Blade Runner- really massively add to the experience- so much that the films may be lesser without it.

If Vangelis is on board, I'll be more than happy- even if his output has waned a little to my ears of late. But it really depends on the tone of the movie. Tron Legacy aside, how many more recent movies have had that special musical accompaniment that really adds life and breath to the movie and still transcends to be a good listening experience on it's own? Blade Runner is a classic example of this.

By the way- I read somewhere recently that Neuromancer is go- finally. Now that would beg an interesting score...
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Blade Runner didn't do well at the box office when it came out. They know it's got a cult following now, but will it be enough to make a movie that satisfys this crowd at the expense of the larger demographic of potential viewers?
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
there's a handful of people who'd be cool.

clint mansell
+ 1, but im not a friend of remakes
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
Please, go ahead and do that without overdubbing... I would like to hear what will you come with. Everything was improvised and recorded once, that's why it may sound a bit bland.
It won't sound like that, yes, but the basic building blocks for the composition are in the GM set.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
+ 1, but im not a friend of remakes
It's not a remake.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

The write ups on this have been a failure... everyone thinks it's a remake..
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Head

Ahh I hate it when hollywood dose this...leave the classics alone.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Does what? ... sequel/prequels much later to cash in?
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Head

Remakes and sequels. Its like they ran out of ideas.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_waste View Post
Remakes and sequels. Its like they ran out of ideas.
It's called "risk aversion". The corporations owning the studios are most concerned with shareholder value. Same thing in the music business. That's why Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Miley Cirus etc. sell the most records today.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Head

Good point...maybe it will be a prequel.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Or Austin Powers movies... "It's funny cause I've heard it before"
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Alas, you could be right.
I will probably be aimed at modern kids and they need ACTION..
I am not worried that Ridley Scott is going to mess-up this new movie. But a Hollywood exec with too much ego for sure will! They did this to the original and it is going to happen again...

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

I mean,.,.. Gladiator sucked..
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

The Blade Runner II soundtrack has already been made - and it's called "Hoellenengel" by Stephen Parsick...

Cheers,
Bert
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

The only way this will be a success is if Ridley says "give me the cash and walk away now".

cause you know.. you just know some suit ****** bag is going to sit in a board room and let a comment fly and whoops, there goes the movie.

That's why keaton wanted out of batman, a suit said "why does it have to be so dark?" and look what happened.. The original creator of tron tipped his hat and bowed out of it.. look what happened..
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
The only way this will be a success is if Ridley says "give me the cash and walk away now".

cause you know.. you just know some suit ****** bag is going to sit in a board room and let a comment fly and whoops, there goes the movie.

That's why keaton wanted out of batman, a suit said "why does it have to be so dark?" and look what happened.. The original creator of tron tipped his hat and bowed out of it.. look what happened..
Ridley had a miserable time on Blade Runner because Bud Yorkin (financier) was freaking because it was going over budget. He said Ridley was shooting scenes 20 times to get the right lighting. The executive director, an older British guy, told Ridley to go to the union and the problem was solved.

They did screen tests and half the audience was clueless. Rutger Hauer said half loved it and the other half said that does not look like my LA. (it does today).

They were forced to make Harrison do the voice over which he hated doing. It was there so the audience knew what was going on. It is out of the director's cut. The ending was also changed to a happy ending which was lame. I will not go into detail on that to avoid ruining it for some people.

Alien was done on an even tighter budget and the studio was always trying to keep from going over budget. The overall experience was probably better versus Blade Runner. The only thing with Alien is the rewriters were trying to get credit for doing nothing. The guy who wrote it, Dan O'Bannon - who passed away in 2009, pretty much wrote the whole movie in his first draft. Director Walter Hill and a few others financed it and were trying to steal the credit. I think it worked out okay for Dan.

Dan had also met Swiss artist H.R. Giger. Giger's artwork had the spooky Alien and other stuff there and Dan said that is it. Giger was a strange guy and said he took drugs because these images were in his dreams. Most of the people on the set were creeped out by Giger but Dan, Ridley and a few others got on well with him. Giger worked on the Space Jockey using bones etc. All the stuff behind Alien with set design etc was incredibly painstaking. You want to talk about detail. This is Ridley.

The whole point is - a lot of people wanted Ridley to do this. Fans and the studio. Ridley has been through battles with studios and people bankrolling the film, especially Blade Runner. He knows how the game is played and he is no pushover.

I think he went to Fox for the budget on Promethus and asked for....$250 million! I mean that is a 1/4 of a billlion dollars! I think they got it down to $200 million. Hollywood is really plugged into Comic Con - they know the fans want Ridley to make these films.

Will they live up to the originals? Probably not but I bet they are 20x than any of the other shit Hollywood releases. I know on screen they will be stunning. I think there will be 3-D versions.

I know it will beat the hell out of any shite Lucas does with men in rubber masks so he can make $1 off a small plastic toy in a Happy Meal. Lucas is a toy merchant.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Making a good movie is very easy. Anyone with taste who's ever shot a short with friends or written a script knows that writing and making a good movie is very easy. The hard part when it comes to a movie with a significant budget is keeping the thousand people who are trying with all their might to destroy the movie at every turn from destroying the movie.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Dan had also met Swiss artist H.R. Giger. Giger's artwork had the spooky Alien and other stuff there and Dan said that is it. Giger was a strange guy and said he took drugs because these images were in his dreams. Most of the people on the set were creeped out by Giger but Dan, Ridley and a few others got on well with him. Giger worked on the Space Jockey using bones etc. All the stuff behind Alien with set design etc was incredibly painstaking. You want to talk about detail. This is Ridley.
HR Giger won an Oscar for the artwork in Alien. Despite that, he got more and more pushed out from the credits in the sequels that followed. Starting with Cameron creating his own version and ending with that terrible Albino Alien. Mr. Giger never stopped complaining about this. There are too many people who want to put on their own stamp on something they have no clue about. The mediocracy of some is the downfall for everyone...
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
The Blade Runner II soundtrack has already been made - and it's called "Hoellenengel" by Stephen Parsick...

Cheers,
Bert

I have Stephen's CD too, excellently executed using a CS-80. Another Vangelis album I may point out along the Bladerunner lines is Invisible Connections (1985) on Deutsche Grammaphon (Recorded between Soil Festivities and Mask)
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear nut

Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite movies. I remember renting the VHS version and I didnt like it much. The visuals were great, but the voice over and bad ending kinda turned me off. It wasnt until I watched the directors cut years later than I became a big fan of it.

The rereleased DVD that came a few years ago had an excellent documentary about the making of. On the effects one of the ppl that worked on the film summarized it perfectly: Blade Runner is one of the last movies with great in-camera optical effects. No one really does that anymore, since everything is CGI. As a former 3d animator I can appreciate CGI, but I've always thought traditional models/makeup effects look better. Excorcist is the scariest movies ever because the makeup effects are so visceral. I've yet to see another movie that borders anywhere near as disturbing as Excorcist. CGI takes something out of it for me. Sometimes (well most of the time) CGI doesnt make things easier.

Creating the city scapes in Blade Runner is rather easy when doing it in 3d. Heck thats how I started out in 3dsmax years ago. I would just create blocks with all sorts of things sticking out and hanging off, clone each object a few dozen times, rotate this, scale that, add some rain, some lights here and there and fog. When you say "I want this to look like Blade Runner" everyone knows what that means. But to do all this using scale models and specialty cameras, it was so....well analog! Few ppl do this today. I remember doing projects where I spent so many hours creating complex particle systems to replicate a waterfall or whatever. It never looked as good as filming real water (or sometimes salt, i.e. Phantom of the Menace) in a smaller scale using models.

I hope this remake will be good. At least RS is behind it not some hack like Paul W.S. Anderson. As for who should score the film, I wouldn't mind seeing Solar Fields have a go at it.

Also someone mentioned Neuromancer. I LOVED the book, but I dont think it could be made. For one, ppl who've never read the book would mistake it for some Matrix ripoff, which is curious given Neuromancer came out 15 years earlier or whatever so if anything Matrix is a poor ripoff of Neuromancer. But the public wouldnt care. The idea of a virtual reality interface for the internet has already been done to death in Hollywood. Shame, because I think the story would be great to see in film.

If there was a proper film, it would have to be kept in the times of the book. What I mean is that in the book they reference companies that dont exist, technology that is outdated (cassettes) etc. I want them to use old clicky keyboards, green/amber CRT monitors with CLI interfaces, floppies, cassette tapes etc. I want the film to look like it was made along side Blade Runner. And if such a film we're made, I'd want to hear Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly team up and do the score. But only stuff reminiscent of their earlier work, say before 1992. I think that would fit it nicely with a Neuromancer film.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
HR Giger won an Oscar for the artwork in Alien. Despite that, he got more and more pushed out from the credits in the sequels that followed. Starting with Cameron creating his own version and ending with that terrible Albino Alien. Mr. Giger never stopped complaining about this. There are too many people who want to put on their own stamp on something they have no clue about. The mediocracy of some is the downfall for everyone...
You Tube has a documentary on making Alien. Very good stuff. Giger comes off as a decent guy who is a little odd. Giger had weird dead animal bones in his sets and did a lot of the work on building the sets including the Space Jockey.

Dan O'Bannon met him and saw the Giger images and said that is it! That is he monster. The monster is Giger's creation - supposedly from dreams he has. God help him. Cameron is an ass for trying to grab credit.

Cameron is jerk in my book. I think Ridley is tough and a perfectionist but he hires really good people and let's them be creative. Ridley always seems to give people credit. Hampton Fancher was mad about the Blade Runner rewrite (expanding the story beyond Deckard's apt) and is very emotional. Ridley, at least when interviewed, said he understood but he wanted it bigger with an outside world.

Fancher deserves a medal trying to get Philip Dick onboard initially. Dick was a strange guy. He saw the images in a roll before Blade Runner came out and was amazed. He said those were the images he had in his own mind and asked how it was possible.

A lot of the actors, especially character actors, said Blade Runner was miserable. Shooting all night, hot, endless smoke, doing takes endless times, spending hours getting the lighting done. Poor Joanna Cassidy got beaten up doing her famous run in the clear raincoat and jumping over cars. The stars largely realize they were part of a great film especially Hauer.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Flux:

I think a lot of people are sick of CGI. The dweebs who see every movie at the cinema - love CGI. Ridley is generally pretty good in not overdoing CGI. I think Gladiator had it. I only saw parts of Blackhawk Down. i thought I had read that Prometheus will not have a lot of CGI. I read that they have built huge sets and I think they are in Canada and the UK. Part of the intro is shot in Iceland at a waterfall.

I saw where they did not like some of Goldsmith's stuff in Alien and used some of his other work. Goldsmith was not that happy. i am not for Vangelis or Trent for Blade Runner 2.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search