Login / Register

Ridley Scott to direct Blade Runner sequel...will Vangelis get soundtrack?
New Reply
Subscribe
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
I think a CS-80 must be Mandatory for the new sound track.

http://soundcloud.com/mindwarped/cs80beyond

yeah if you don't own one you can't do the score . I'm cautiously optimistic as well. There are very few things like this that have gone well..in fact so few I can count em on one hand. Aliens was a pretty great sequel to Alien but it worked as an action film vs the horror of the first film (Terminator 2 was a great follow up to T1 though I truly am off put by James Cameron at this point in time) and a few tv shows that were spin offs.

Why not Vangelis? If I were him I would want it.

I don't think Harrison is a particularly great one either what he always had in droves in his earlier films was a fantastic charm as Han Solo and Indiana Jones.. he's perfectly cast. But this is his best role imo. I totally geeked out one night and watch my new blue ray making of blade runner on my 5 disc set. He was particularly unhappy during this period of making Blade Runner, many run ins and excessive shots by Ridley really had him frustrated and it translated perfectly to the character he plays on the film.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Ulrich Schnauss!!
Ulrich Schnauss and Clint Mansel
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

now....

voice over narrator or NO voice over narrator? :D
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
I don't think we have to worry about too much CGI (there is hope that the soundtrack stays analog too ). Here is Ridley Scott talking about CGI (start at 2:10) in his upcoming "Prometheus" movie:

Looking at some of the pre-release shots from Scott's work in the Alien prequel "Prometheus", my faith may be restored a little bit. The released set shots seem to capture the original feel of 1979's Alien.

Prometheus News - Exlcusive: Prometheus Screen Shots

If he can do it for this movie, why not for a new Blade Runner movie?
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear maniac

Slayer should do it !
gremlin moon
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hauer is still in top form -- I just saw Hobo With a Shotgun:
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

I'd rate Vangelis for it too. He interprets themes nicely. SO does reznor but would probably not be my thing for this. Schnauss??? Pass.
I just hope they don't insist on some hip act in the soundtrack ( a la Tron remake)
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to symmetricalSound Send a message via MSN to symmetricalSound
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
clint mansell
that's another good shout, love the stuff he's done on daron aronofsky's movies.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Looking at some of the pre-release shots from Scott's work in the Alien prequel "Prometheus", my faith may be restored a little bit. The released set shots seem to capture the original feel of 1979's Alien.

Prometheus News - Exlcusive: Prometheus Screen Shots

If he can do it for this movie, why not for a new Blade Runner movie?
Where the hell did they get all those images? Wow. Brit-Aussie Guy Pearce is in Promethus and the guy is a great actor.

Ridley's no sci fi work was above avg but Alien & Blade Runner were exceptional. I am sure both movies will be better than 99% of the crap coming out of Hollywood. The set designs for Ridley's movies are always stunning.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
yeah if you don't own one you can't do the score . I'm cautiously optimistic as well. There are very few things like this that have gone well..in fact so few I can count em on one hand. Aliens was a pretty great sequel to Alien but it worked as an action film vs the horror of the first film (Terminator 2 was a great follow up to T1 though I truly am off put by James Cameron at this point in time) and a few tv shows that were spin offs.

Why not Vangelis? If I were him I would want it.

I don't think Harrison is a particularly great one either what he always had in droves in his earlier films was a fantastic charm as Han Solo and Indiana Jones.. he's perfectly cast. But this is his best role imo. I totally geeked out one night and watch my new blue ray making of blade runner on my 5 disc set. He was particularly unhappy during this period of making Blade Runner, many run ins and excessive shots by Ridley really had him frustrated and it translated perfectly to the character he plays on the film.
Ridley is a perfectionist. A lot of the actors hated it because tons of smoke and endless takes. Hours to set up the lighting for the shots. It was one of Ford's best movies but I doubt to this day he gets it. Rutger Hauer was electric as Roy Batty.

I personally don't like Vangelis sound track that much. I think the CS-80 sounds too digital like a DX7.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
I personally don't like Vangelis sound track that much. I think the CS-80 sounds too digital like a DX7.
SACRILEGE!
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
SACRILEGE!
LOL! I am a heretic! I though Vagellis stuff sounded too shiny in Blade Runner and Chariots.

Strip out the words and use Gary Numan's Pleasure Principal and you have a good sound track.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear maniac

Burial maybe?
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The problem with the Blade Runner soundtrack is that it doesn't sound good.

Back in the day, it sounded AMAZING. It hasn't aged well at all.

There are a lot of ambient producers making music that sounds today the way Vangelis' music sounded in the '80s. As a matter of fact, it seems like 75% of indie pop sets forth today with that explicit goal.

A lot of producers could make an effective soundtrack. The best approach would be to have like a dozen different producers make a track each for the soundtrack under the aegis of someone with great taste.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidebomber View Post
This movie is going to be so bad if its a sequel: FACT. Who do you think is going to write it? Philip K Dick Of the Dead? lol, its going to be the same underpaid, rushed and safe Hollywood writer who wrote the new Tron movie okay
I'm also skeptical about what the writer & scriptwriters will come up with.
Formula writing & production is the name of the game. Not convinced the stooodio will be taking any chances with the fickle taste of the popcorn gallery who buy tickets.

Then there's the Ridley Scott problem.

Pretty much everything (apart from perhaps Thelma & Louise) he's done from the 1990's has been mediocre trite. Yeah I know I know... 99.9999% of members here probably thought Gladidioter was brilliant.....

One can only hope they don't end up doing to Blade Runner what George Lucas did to Star Wars.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
I'm also skeptical about what the writer & scriptwriters will come up with.
Formula writing & production is the name of the game. Not convinced the stooodio will be taking any chances with the fickle taste of the popcorn gallery who buy tickets.

Then there's the Ridley Scott problem.

Pretty much everything (apart from perhaps Thelma & Louise) he's done from the 1990's has been mediocre trite. Yeah I know I know... 99.9999% of members here probably thought Gladidioter was brilliant.....

One can only hope they don't end up doing to Blade Runner what George Lucas did to Star Wars.
George Lucas is a wan*er. He sounds like a total idiot when he is interview.

Ridley post Alien and Blade Runner made some pretty middling films. Still he made Alien and Blade Runner. He assembled an incredible team of people on both films.

Even a semi-remake of both will be a zillion times more interesting than the shite Hollywood projectile vomits daily.

The stills from Promethus do look interesting as hell. I heard Giger is also working on it. Ridley on his worst day and in a coma is still better than probably better anyone else doing sci fi.

No Vangelis, Trent or Zimmer. Keep looking.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, Ridley did make Alien & Blade Runner. Both brilliant.

Maybe this is an opportunity for him to return to form. (and start praying that he doesn't, yet again & again & again, cast Russell Crowe)

As for Ridley being 1000000 times better than the rest, I'll give a vote of support for early Cameron (Terminator & Aliens). Those were decent. Unfortunately his form has also deserted him somewhat imo.

Paul Verhoeven is another honourable mention imo (Total Recall, Robocop, Starship Troopers).

Anyway.... another vote for Vangelis for the soundtrack. Can't imagine giving it to anybody else.
BM0
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
The world is full of remarkable actors, and I don't think Harrison Ford is a particularly great one.
By no means is Harrison Ford a favorite of mine, but by the definition of acting, I think he can be considered great. He has been in many films, playing many different roles. Sure he has had some bad roles, but what established actor hasn't.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Vangelis is The right Composer for this project.

Anyone else imho, will ruin the feel of the movie, especially given the popularity of the very original, (now classic) Vangelis Blade Runner score.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

My vote goes to Steve Roach or cEvin Key. Or both.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmith View Post

But still, the movie I would really like to see is Neuromancer. Done to the same standards as the original Blade runner.
me too - would be pretty tough to pull it off though. The plot of the book is complex, to say the least.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011

wait, what, there's GOING TO BE a sequel of the greatest sci fi movie of all time?

not enough 's can do this.
is there a petition to stop them ruining it. I know this is a different topic but this is just taking the piss now. these movie remakes. tutt
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011

I can see it now. BLADERUNNER 3D!
with SHIT cgi, teenagers kissing, references to facebook/twitter, bad plot, no dark atmosphere. I can go on.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I invented this proprietary opinion aggregator machine (pure analog, don't worry!) and this thread will be the first time I'm testing it in a real life situation!

I must first warn you that its currently only capable of around a 98.5% accuracy, so I hope its results aren't too off base here, but this is what is has come up with so far:

Old mean good, new mean bad.

(Oh, and after a few more minutes of calculation it also added the fact that when it said "bad" it didn't mean it in the 80's sense of bad meaning good, because obviously due to its origin of prominence being the 80s, that would thereby be defining new as bad in the good sense, which, since it isn't the 80s, is bad, but in the bad way, not the good way.)

It should be noted for information's sake that neither I, the inventor of the machine, or the machine itself, have either one ever seen Bladerunner or heard the soundtrack, so there isn't any subjective favoritism included in the calculation.

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Gear maniac

why are they doing this - it will never be as good as the original - never
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
My friend, you should by now know that a new version of something will never be as good as the original, no matter what it may be.

Especially computers, medicine, and automobiles.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
Because when it comes to sci fi - Ridley Scott could be drunk, sedated, in a coma or whatever and he would still be better than 99.9% of Hollywood's ooozing and clueless scum.

Just the set designs for Alien and Blade Runner are worth waiting 30 years to see something like that again.

The stills for Prometheus look incredible and I bet it will be terrifying too. Ridley said it will be very scary.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
A stop-motion CS80 hunting CS80 softsynths.
Just curious...is your avatar a pic of Suzanne Ciani?
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Just curious...is your avatar a pic of Suzanne Ciani?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search