Login / Register

Ridley Scott to direct Blade Runner sequel...will Vangelis get soundtrack?
New Reply
Subscribe
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
God ... It's about time ... If there's any cinematic "world" I'd love to re-enter, it's that one ...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain ... Time to sequel ...
http://soundcloud.com/jjsilver/bladerunner-1

Rutger Hauer`s delivery is impeccable.
I have heard Anthony Hopkins deliver these lines and he`s great also.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Vangelis + Reznor & Ross??!!!???? To modernise Vangelis old & new (well 90's)
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

My vote is for Burial, Emeralds, Autechre, The Hafler Trio, Sunn O))) mega collab. Give 'em a 10 million dollars and 1 year. Other ideas: Sigur Rós, Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I think Reznor's music is a bit cynical and self conscious unless they change the tone of the movie. Vangelis's score was dark, but it had a sense of wonder and pomposity about it.

Keep in mind Blade runner is set in 2019! This is my biggest issue with making a sequel/prequel.

@himalaya I like the sound of that movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
To add to that, we're all desensitized now to these amazing "futuristic" worlds created on screen with special effects. Back when Blade Runner was released, that wasn't easy or common in films, but with CGI, we see these types of worlds created all the time so we're not as easily impressed.
I dunno, I think most movies have mega budgets, but the art direction is pretty poor. Blade Runner was inspired by a book that conceptualized a whole world and in most movies with future dystopias it seems like the director said "make it like blade runner, but more edgy," that or 1984. Tarkovsky movies still have better special effects than most of what hollywood puts out.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Absolutely Vangelis should do it.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

The recent success of the dark knight movies, along with the fragmented and f**cked state of the world leads me to believe that there is a real possibility that this might be a worthwhile successor to the original. I think there is a huge audience for dystopian stories and darker imagery.
msl
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Jeff Mills and Hans Zimmer together please.

19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
if it's not vangelis the only person i'd be happy about seeing doing it is trent reznor.
Pretty much this. Couldn't really see many other people doing it justice.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

If Vangelis doesn't take it on Reznor for sure, I'd also like to see Alan Wilder in on the production team as well, his early Recoil stuff is pretty dark, though I don't think he has experience on film work. I just love his sound creations and atmospheres he comes up with.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app so please forgive any bad auto-correct. I'll try to fix it in the mix later!
Jet
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Jet
Gear maniac

A stop-motion CS80 hunting CS80 softsynths.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear addict

19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely Vangelis.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

I want to hope it's gonna be awesome, but in reality, it'll fail most likely. Blade Runner is my all time fave movie. It is perfection, and should not be smeared by a prequel/sequel. If anything, get the Koreans to do it. Natural City was actually pretty good. But Hollywood will just ruin it.

They might as well get Reznor to do it. If they're gonna fail, might as well FAIL!

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats . Octatrack . TR-505

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Head

Vangelis better do the damned score

I'm a huge fan of Daft Punk but they didn't reference any of Wendy Carlos Tron score
and that movie sucked, it was all symphonic presets, nothing analog in sight...

I knew the new Conan movie would suck because the hack they hired to score it didn't reference any of Basil Poleduris amazing original Conan score

Vangelis w/ CS80 nuff said

keep everyone else away from how it sounds
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 View Post
Will it be based on this sequel or on a hollywood screenplay?

Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

either way it sounds like a fail.
Nooooooo....

Let's just make a soap opera out of it. Get the cast of the bold and the beautiful to do it.

The last thing we need is the definitive answers to the open questions about the humanity of the characters. Ridley should have learned this the hard way already, after making several director's cuts to compensate the original release's added happy ending.

Massive fail. Massive.

Why don't they just use the universe? A prequel about the life of the replicants in off-world colonies with a few breathtaking scenes of earth metropolises would actually be interesting. Given that they manage to keep the original's characters out of it and maintain the epicness of the original in outdoor shots.

But still, the movie I would really like to see is Neuromancer. Done to the same standards as the original Blade runner.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear addict

Oh, come on Trent fvcking Reznor? Give me a break! It would be shallow, self-indulgent and totally uninspiring.

I vote Jeff Mills. Detroit Techno is THE sonic equivalent of the visual atmosphere in the original Bladerunner.

Actually I think Richard D James also has the skill and vision to pull off something like this. Autechre could be interesting too, but probably too noodly and pretentious in practice.

I also think some of the mid-90s drum and bass people could do a good brooding Bladerunner soundtrack. Like Source Direct or Photek or someone like that.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

+1 to Neuromancer.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmith View Post
Vangelis w/ CS80 nuff said

keep everyone else away from how it sounds
Why even bother with a new score? Just re-use the old one as it is.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
To add to that, we're all desensitized now to these amazing "futuristic" worlds created on screen with special effects. Back when Blade Runner was released, that wasn't easy or common in films, but with CGI, we see these types of worlds created all the time so we're not as easily impressed. I can't imagine anything made today that would reliably replicate that "dark" world created in the film.
I don't think we have to worry about too much CGI (there is hope that the soundtrack stays analog too ). Here is Ridley Scott talking about CGI (start at 2:10) in his upcoming "Prometheus" movie:

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmm... Mixed feelings about the "related movie", we'll see, it could be great, but I reckon they'll have a hard job doing someting comparable with the original

On the OS... My vote goes to Amon Tobin, he could do a great job IMO.

Cheers
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

yeah Blade Runner needs an update. from the same two who did it mostly right the first time round.

if they mess it up fine. at least it will be probably be more interesting than someone getting it wrong who didn't get it mostly right the first time.

ridley scott already set up the possibility by cutting in that unicorn scene in the first movie.

I've been waiting for him to complete that cue.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

I my nightmares Deadmau5 will do it with the Arturia CS80.

Yet I don't have high hopes for Mr. Scott either who seems to have lost his spark - and based on his interviews he seems to the type who doesn't allow anyone tell him that. E.g. that crappy Robin Hood where he obviously tried to recapture what made the Gladiator so great and completely failed.

Still I wouldn't mind signing a petition for the production studio / Mr. Scott to get someone do the soundtrack with a real CS-80...
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Vangelis. Who else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
I don't think we have to worry about too much CGI (there is hope that the soundtrack stays analog too ). Here is Ridley Scott talking about CGI (start at 2:10) in his upcoming "Prometheus" movie:

Being a huge 'Alien' fan, I've been watching "Prometheus" developement with great interest. Looks like its going to be very good, capturing the original Alien films style. Scott will do a good job for sure.

Interestingly Scott originally wanted Isao Tomita to do the music for 'Alien' but went with the late Jerry Goldsmith. (who did a fantastic job). Wonder if anyone else can capture his style for Prometheus?

Hope so.

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkonkkrete View Post
Actually I think Richard D James also has the skill and vision to pull off something like this. Autechre could be interesting too, but probably too noodly and pretentious in practice.
+1 on this. it's about time we had some more atonal bleepy film scores.

hopefully whoever does do it won't just spaff Taiko drums all over the place. god i hate Taiko drums.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Burial, 80s are over (90s and 00s too)
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Vangelis, hasn't produced anything new for a few years now, his last soundtrack was El Greco in 2007 and the odd jingle here and there.

Maybe Chris Franke could do the soundtrack, like he did with Babylon 5. But if Vangelis were to get the job again, i think it would be more orchestral in flavour rather than the CS80/VP330/Emulator laden score the original 1982 soundtrack was.

Maybe other nominee's could be: John Carpenter or Pete Namlook.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AnalogGuy Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Vangelis, hasn't produced anything new for a few years now, his last soundtrack was El Greco in 2007 and the odd jingle here and there.

Maybe Chris Franke could do the soundtrack, like he did with Babylon 5. But if Vangelis were to get the job again, i think it would be more orchestral in flavour rather than the CS80/VP330/Emulator laden score the original 1982 soundtrack was.

Maybe other nominee's could be: John Carpenter or Pete Namlook.
I doubt that. Vangelis himself said he never throw any previous gear away so he still own all of his analog gear and who knows maybe he is still using them but the problem is that we can't hear them because although Vangelis does literally music every single day, he's just publishing a fraction of the them. I also remember that Vangelis has natural urgent need to make music so he have done that nevertheless of the demands for new albums, and Vangelis even told that if he would stop making music, he would already have enough material for over 100 albums from the nemo years alone.

The reason why Vangelis wasn't anymore into analog was perhaps that he had already done that over decades so he wanted to do something different. Some likes only his early progressive rock years, some nemo years, some his newer albums like oceanic (someone said it was joke?! Man, there's no other album to bring me the atmospheres of the song "Fields of coral"!), I love them all. As the Rousseu told in the interview that "The idea was not to be more digital, the concept was to be more live". After all, it's the midi technology that made it possible.

But man, I really hope he ever would release new studio albums... either new or something from nemo years... I wonder why he's not doing that since in these days it's much easier to publish everything by yourself and Vangelis already have a very big name so I doubt it wouldn't be an issue.
"I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bullshit computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: "With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes". This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!" - Vangelis
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Why is everyone so sure it's going to suck?

I'd like to think the same director, backed by producers that idolize the first film, could result in something good?

http://roestudios.com/
Twitter!
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AnalogGuy Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post

I'd like to think the same director, backed by producers that idolize the first film, could result in something good?
Maybe because that's what have been happening to almost every classic remakes so why this wouldn't be the same?

But, I think since the mr. Scott himself is going to direct it, I believe it will be in secured hands and I just hope he will keep in mind that the expectations are very high.
BM0
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post

I don't know if it will suck, but that may come down to who is in it. The cast of the original Blade Runner was perfect. The characters were the story. Will they be able to get actors of today to live up to the expectations. I doubt it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will straight up suck. We are talking Harrison Ford as Deckard. I can't imagine who could fill those shoes.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I don't know if it will suck, but that may come down to who is in it. The cast of the original Blade Runner was perfect. The characters were the story. Will they be able to get actors of today to live up to the expectations. I doubt it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will straight up suck. We are talking Harrison Ford as Deckard. I can't imagine who could fill those shoes.
The world is full of remarkable actors, and I don't think Harrison Ford is a particularly great one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search