New Reply
Subscribe
LK7
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear maniac

How/Where to submit production music?

Great to see a Post forum here on GS.

Anyone out there make music for Music Librarys?

I have been writing and recording my music for a long time now. Its mostly instrumental and ranges from punkish stuff to easy listening , as my wife would call it.
My goal is to eventually start selling my music to production music libraries. Anyone have any tips on where/how to submit demos. I know this is newb kinda post but if anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreiciate it.
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Go directly to the source:

Associated Production Music
Killer Tracks - now also Network
Sound Ideas (buy-out stuff)
First Com music

Many of these companies welcome submitions - they need new stuff all the time.
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post

First Com music

If only life was that simple. Maybe there are some companies that just welcome unsolicited stuff, but just like a major record co. or publisher, you need to be introduced via an attorney or production team that already has an inside connect.
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

I was able to send directly to Killer Tracks.
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars View Post
If only life was that simple. Maybe there are some companies that just welcome unsolicited stuff, but just like a major record co. or publisher, you need to be introduced via an attorney or production team that already has an inside connect.
You might be surprised. In general, music libraries are more approachable than major labels, but, of course, there are exceptions. Knowing someone to help get in the door helps no matter what the situation, but these companies definitely are the lookout for new talent all the time.

We've built our business on providing content for other libraries... have created two libraries of our own over the past ten years that we've sold to other, larger companies... and we're launching a new service in a couple of months. I'd be happy to hear your music - if it's any good, I'd rather have it here than with our competition!

I'm also a fan of Taxi, and they have tons of listings all the time for libraries, music supervisors, and production houses looking for new instrumental music. Definitely check them out, if you haven't already. Their message boards alone have a lot of helpful info for getting into the biz.

Best of luck to you!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1474821/TLL%20approved%20art/TLL-facebook-coverphoto_850px.jpg

"After silence that which expresses the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
I was able to send directly to Killer Tracks.
Did you deal with Kat over there?
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:

First Com music

Of note, BMG owns half of APM, and 100% of FirstCom and Killer Tracks (and all their sub-libraries).

FYI.
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear addict

Yeah - that's right, BMG is the parent of almost all now!
My rep is Todd King @ Killer - nice guy. Have not sold any muisc to them yet, but have subbmitted stuff - I use their music a lot for commercial productions.
LK7
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear maniac

Thanks for all the great info

I've got a couple more questions if anyone is up for it:

1. When you submit your cd, are they looking for a finished product(mastered and packaged) as well as some kind of press package?

2. Should each track on the disk have a :30, :60, and whole song version like on some Library cds or just the whole tracks?

Thanks again for any info.
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK7 View Post
1. When you submit your cd, are they looking for a finished product(mastered and packaged) as well as some kind of press package?

2. Should each track on the disk have a :30, :60, and whole song version like on some Library cds or just the whole tracks?
1. I would say absolutely no packaging/artwork other than your contact info. In all likelihood your material, if purchased, will be combined with other composers and will be mastered at that point, so I would not spend any money on mastering. If, however, you want to present your material in a professional manner, bringing your music up to the level of other CDs is certainly fine, I would think.

2. If you can do edits, or have them available, I'd say so, but leave them off of your initial submission. Most people at that stage want to hear the composition itself, and will be in contact with you because of the music, not because you've got edits for it. And most of the larger companies have editors they work with regularly, who understand the idiosyncracies of their particular client base... there are differences in the way some companies do :30s and :60s, to say nothing of those who require :10s, :15s, :20s and on and on and on....
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Yeah - that's right, BMG is the parent of almost all now!
My rep is Todd King @ Killer - nice guy. Have not sold any muisc to them yet, but have subbmitted stuff - I use their music a lot for commercial productions.
Todd is awesome. Super cool cat, a fun hang.
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gear addict

Regarding the :30 & :60 edits: If my session is under time pressure (many sessions are) - I will pass right over a disc that does not have the length of cut that I need. I can cut any piece to any length, but sometimes it just has to be there. I don't disagree that you will not need it at the presenting stage, but, yes - have it available.
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear maniac

Hey there Daniel,
Hadn't noticed who you were before this even though I had read your post. Nice seeing you outside of the myspace world.

We have been in contact with Greg L at Killer Tracks and are currently working on a project for them to get our foot in the door.

I will keep you all posted as to how it all turns out, but at this point we have been pretty stoked to have the opportunity to compose something to spec for commercial use.

"If only life was that simple. Maybe there are some companies that just welcome unsolicited stuff, but just like a major record co. or publisher, you need to be introduced via an attorney or production team that already has an inside connect."

FYI: we did not have a contact at Killer Tracks...we wrote a guy with a link to our music, he forwarded it to a Executive Producer, and then they contacted us.... so, don't give up just because you don't have an IN with a company. If it is good music and they can see it having a commercial use....they will get ahold of you.

Throw you net wide and eventually you will catch something. We deffinatly did not score a job with our first inquiry
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryinmotion View Post
Hey there Daniel,
Hadn't noticed who you were before this even though I had read your post. Nice seeing you outside of the myspace world.

[snip]

FYI: we did not have a contact at Killer Tracks...we wrote a guy with a link to our music, he forwarded it to a Executive Producer, and then they contacted us.... so, don't give up just because you don't have an IN with a company. If it is good music and they can see it having a commercial use....they will get ahold of you.

Throw you net wide and eventually you will catch something. We deffinatly did not score a job with our first inquiry
Well, you certainly did throw your net wide if you found me on myspace!

Or did I find you guys?

No matter... I will definitely listen through your material soon. Promise!
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

you can also submit to music to video editors, music supervisors and god knows to whom for video games (video games music (proper) is new territory thus, not always is a "music supervisor" in charge. ive heard that one time an intern choosed the music for a few cues!)

there a lot of small to meduim companies that do the same as sound ideas, killer tracks etc but at a smaller scale. they have conections with music supervisors for smaller cable shows, documentaries and even networks. and have a catalog of no more than 500 songs in 10 or 12 categories. this varies depending on the company but the one i worked for , this was the case. and it did OK. not good , not bad but we got checks i the mail all the time from subpublishers around the world and from small budget TV shows.

the problem with the big companies (own by BMI and others) is that the music has to be so good already. (unless u are a well known composer) it also has to do with conectionis of course, but i have a friend that works in he same building as xtreme music and is friends with one the guys in there but they would not take his music, and his stuff was pretty good.
you have to listen to xtreme music's catalog as well as killer track and compare it to your stuff... in terms of quality. u can also hear what are they going for.

they take 50% of royalties and some of them have international subpulishers. which is where there is big money. but the subpublisher takes its own %50 so u have to share the rest of the left over %50/ with your publisher

submit your demo to the big companies, label it properly, maybe add some art work. something that is not a blank CD with the info on sharpie.
also adress it to the correct individual. these people get tons of mail. so a bright orange envelope with a sticker saying "TOP SECRET" might help!

hope that helps.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
you can also submit to music to video editors, music supervisors and god knows to whom for video games (video games music (proper) is new territory thus, not always is a "music supervisor" in charge. ive heard that one time an intern choosed the music for a few cues!)

there a lot of small to meduim companies that do the same as sound ideas, killer tracks etc but at a smaller scale. they have conections with music supervisors for smaller cable shows, documentaries and even networks. and have a catalog of no more than 500 songs in 10 or 12 categories. this varies depending on the company but the one i worked for , this was the case. and it did OK. not good , not bad but we got checks i the mail all the time from subpublishers around the world and from small budget TV shows.

the problem with the big companies (own by BMI and others) is that the music has to be so good already. (unless u are a well known composer) it also has to do with conectionis of course, but i have a friend that works in he same building as xtreme music and is friends with one the guys in there but they would not take his music, and his stuff was pretty good.
you have to listen to xtreme music's catalog as well as killer track and compare it to your stuff... in terms of quality. u can also hear what are they going for.

they take 50% of royalties and some of them have international subpulishers. which is where there is big money. but the subpublisher takes its own %50 so u have to share the rest of the left over %50/ with your publisher

submit your demo to the big companies, label it properly, maybe add some art work. something that is not a blank CD with the info on sharpie.
also adress it to the correct individual. these people get tons of mail. so a bright orange envelope with a sticker saying "TOP SECRET" might help!

hope that helps.
Be sure your work is covered by copyright.

Videogames are actually an enormous avenue for music- EA is actually bigger than any of the film studios at this point, with the major franchises having production budgets in excess of 10 million dollars. Also be sure to have membership in one of the publishing guilds, either ASCAP or BMI before you send stuff out.

Games are far from the rinky dink market that was alluded too.

charles maynes
13th February 2007
Old 13th February 2007
Gear maniac

Just a quick update. We finished the project Killer Tracks gave us to do in just 4 days.... and I am thinking they will be impressed...or I sure hope so.

If you would like to hear the piece it will be on our myspace until we get paid for the work...in which case it will come down...so check it out while you can. It is on our myspace page and is called "Ride".

UPDATE: We took it down after we sold it to them.
14th February 2007
Old 14th February 2007
Gear maniac

Good news! Killer Tracks is licensing "Ride" and is working out the details for several more jobs they are commissioning us to do.

Can't be any happier!!!

Thanks to LK7 for starting a great post and to AdAudioInc for the great info!!! you guys rawk!!!
16th February 2007
Old 16th February 2007
Gear interested

Music Production Company Seeks New Talent

Hello All:

Came across this post, and wanted to let you know that our company is always seeking new composing talent for our Music Library & Scoring projects.

Feel free to send links or hardcopies of audio and / or video directly to my email. Hardcopies welcome as well - please send to my attention at the studio.

Regards,

Jon Slott
Executive Producer
Juniper Music & Soundesign
http://www.junipermusic.com
slottman@junipermusic.com
27th February 2007
Old 27th February 2007
Gear interested

great topic

Hello all...this is a great topic...I also think a direct email sometimes to the company your looking to submit to in question doesn't hurt if you've got some quick questions to ask. You'd be suprised how many people actually email you back! As one poster said the companies are constantly looking for new material. So far I've place over 300 tracks in multiple libraries and I'm looking to do more! I would also forget about rejection there's just to many companies out there that need stuff to mull around about it. I remember I submitted 15 tracks in early 2005 to Killer Tracks which where passed on and rejected. I was told they didn't mesh well with the current tracks they had in the library. Fair enough. A week later they where accepted in an different library. They have since been in 6 television shows, 25 commercials, and 10 spots. To each his own!fuuck
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search