OK, how do I get my music on tv, video games or film?
Thug Immigrant
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

OK, how do I get my music on tv, video games or film?

I have made loads of soundtrack music but now I've reached a brick wall - I just don't know how to get them on tv, video games or film.
I reckon most of the music I've made would ideally suite video games but then again, I haven't a clue where to start.
On my youtube account I just got my music ripped off and it didn't really matter to them that I copyrighted it...but i guess we are living in the Pirate Age

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear addict

If your work is copyrighted then its up to you to send a notice or report them to youtube. Copyright doesn't automatically guarantee someone isn't going to rip you off and its not much of a deterrent either. Albert Einstein said something like "The key to genius is hiding your sources" so I am sure that speaks volumes about the idiots you're dealing with.

On the other hand, I have been making music for games and films now for the last 5 years. I started out with friends that developed indie games, finding people on forums creating their own games and films, and finding small directors on Facebook. At first you can expect to work for free. Free the first time and cash everytime after. I have built some great relationships this way and you know, people know people who know people so always be networking. Always. Be. Networking.

There are a few BS companies on the net that you can pay a fee to for opportunities. Broadjam is one I have had the most luck with but you are going up against THOUSANDS of people in the same boat whereas exploiting your own circle of friends and talented acquaintances will get you farther.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear nut

Nice one Lost
Thug Immigrant
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwars View Post
If your work is copyrighted then its up to you to send a notice or report them to youtube. Copyright doesn't automatically guarantee someone isn't going to rip you off and its not much of a deterrent either. Albert Einstein said something like "The key to genius is hiding your sources" so I am sure that speaks volumes about the idiots you're dealing with.

On the other hand, I have been making music for games and films now for the last 5 years. I started out with friends that developed indie games, finding people on forums creating their own games and films, and finding small directors on Facebook. At first you can expect to work for free. Free the first time and cash everytime after. I have built some great relationships this way and you know, people know people who know people so always be networking. Always. Be. Networking.

There are a few BS companies on the net that you can pay a fee to for opportunities. Broadjam is one I have had the most luck with but you are going up against THOUSANDS of people in the same boat whereas exploiting your own circle of friends and talented acquaintances will get you farther.
thanks for the advice
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwars View Post
I started out with friends that developed indie games, finding people on forums creating their own games and films, and finding small directors on Facebook. At first you can expect to work for free. Free the first time and cash everytime after. I have built some great relationships this way and you know, people know people who know people so always be networking. Always. Be. Networking
Great info and thinking in general. Thanks for sharing.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear nut

one thing i must ad is that (this is no disrespect to anyone) i was under the same thinging that my music would more suit films games etc. but generally because i didnt think it was good enough to go mainstream. I tried a few media projects - Sky TV ad, Dante's Inferno add and 6 mins from the Gamer film and it seems that i was right but only because the picture took away emphsis from the sound.

Search you tube for Sky Tv Ad - Soultrappa and Dante's Inferno - Soultrappa to get an idea of what i mean - the sound isnt very good but it fits - I prefer the Dante one.

P.S when uploading to youtube i noticed a horrible digital distortion which is not in the orginal file (even when played on multiple devices) - why does this happen?
Thug Immigrant
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrappa View Post
one thing i must ad is that (this is no disrespect to anyone) i was under the same thinging that my music would more suit films games etc. but generally because i didnt think it was good enough to go mainstream. I tried a few media projects - Sky TV ad, Dante's Inferno add and 6 mins from the Gamer film and it seems that i was right but only because the picture took away emphsis from the sound.

Search you tube for Sky Tv Ad - Soultrappa and Dante's Inferno - Soultrappa to get an idea of what i mean - the sound isnt very good but it fits - I prefer the Dante one.

P.S when uploading to youtube i noticed a horrible digital distortion which is not in the orginal file (even when played on multiple devices) - why does this happen?
Have you tried uploading videos in HD 720p or higher? Should sound much better.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear nut

Yo TI,

Depending on the style of music you are creating might dictate which avenues to follow. Basically, if you are writing "score-like" material you can check out the Composer Compendium in Los Angeles. It's run by a couple UCLA Music School graduates who score film. Matt Gates from CC will essentially provide you with a small clip of film or whatever and let you gnash your teeth on it. He'll critique what you send back and let you know what you need to do to improve the piece for commercial viability.

If they like your work it will go out to the film or show's producers/director for a final assessment. The catch is you will not be getting paid at first. Basically, the Composer Compendium is brokering out the work to you up and coming composers and getting paid for it while you are building a reel/portfolio. It really could be a great place to start b/c you have opportunities to get your work on real projects. Plus you might eventually be put on the payroll as your work improves.

Now on the other hand, if your music is less score-like and more "commercial radio-like" than you need to hook in with a Hollywood/Los Angeles based song plugger. These are the individuals that will pitch your work to the music supervisors who select songs for film projects. These are the same folks who will put your music on "the OC" or "Grey's Anatomy" and other such shows. The bottom-line is with the way modern day "payola" dictates and controls which artists see radio play, film and television has essentially become the new radio.

If you are interested check out NARIP (the National Association of Record Industry Professionals). They will likely have some seminars on this very subject archived on their site. You'll probably have to acquire a membership to gain access to this material or pay a fee to watch but this is legitimate information. I've personally been to one of their seminars on "Music in Television and Film" and it was good stuff hosted by real industry music supervisors whom you were able to ask questions and even meet afterwards to network further and get their contact information.

Anyway, good luck finding the path. Keep in mind that this industry is saturated with competition and it may take some serious time and dedication along with vast amounts of networking to break into it. I've heard to avoid companies like Taxi and the like. They make mad amounts of money on membership fees and submission fees and there is no guarantee your work will ever get picked up. Beware...

-Chris
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search