Login / Register

Want to produce music for games—where to start?
New Reply
Subscribe
tranel
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Gear nut

Want to produce music for games—where to start?

I have started to look more and more at making music for games, it looks really interesting and I know it is a fast-moving, dynamic market.

I have produced music for TV and Radio before, so I think I am pretty well prepared for the actual production. But what is the best way of landing the first few commissions—contacting game companies directly or using music licensing companies or any other approach? Any tips here would be most welcome!

I've been trying to read up on this, but most articles I find are heavy on the production but contain very little about getting started. If you know of any good links, it'd be most welcome.

Look forward to your replies!

Regards,

Anders

Eion Flow - New album, Stay for a Moment, out now on iTunes, Amazon, Napster, Rhapsody and SoundClick.
http://eionflow.com

Eion Flow on Facebook - news, updates and samples: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eion-F...7559483?v=wall

Eion Flow on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/EionFlow
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

I don't make game music, but I pay close attention to it in video games.

You probably already know this, but great video game music is adaptive to what is going on in the game. Music that is dynamic and changes with the intensity or storyline of the game is really awesome. I'm thinking whoever composes that type of music has a different type of presenting their songs.

I would just reach out and network with some of the companies, send them demo's. Having a great web presence cant hurt either.

Do you play video games? if so, what type?
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

Research of course! Get a few cases of beer, a few consoles and get playing some games Write it off as a business expense too From what i've heard these circles are extremely difficult to break into. Guess you need to start shmoozing ;-) get in touch with all the game developers you like and see if any opportunities come up. You could show you skills by recording a video or trailer for a game sequence and put your music to it - same goes for film.
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

Good to be able to do not just music, but foley and sound/video mixing as well.

Helps to understand assets (i.e. music, effects, vocals etc) and how those assets are used in a video game. (from a coding perspective)

(Not to be rude, but) Where are you located? Whats your skill set? Got any coding background? Are you at uni/college/school?

My advice would be to hook up with a group of developers, and get a gig doing sound for a project / indie game as a starting point, then work from there.
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to FeelAudio(Matt) Send a message via Skype™ to FeelAudio(Matt)
Agree with the guy above, also

think about Proving your experience, and creating a portfolio of work.

Mock up some game music, maybe try and do some work for free for a amateur projects, im sure there's a lot going on round the net.

Experience, Portfolio, Proof. - the same things that get you any job.
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to FeelAudio(Matt) Send a message via Skype™ to FeelAudio(Matt)
Oh and BE BOLD...if you think you can do a job, GO FOR IT, contact Sony Online, or Blizzard...walk right in there front door and show them what you can do.
4th June 2010
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelAudio(Matt) View Post
think about Proving your experience, and creating a portfolio of work.
Grab a video of a game teaser/trailer, chuck it in your sequencer, mute the audio, then re-do / create your own audio from scratch.

Try and find something with different scenes:

Slow intro panning of scenary = emotive soundtrack
Gunfight = sound effects, uptemp background music
etc

Good practice / nice little portfolio.

Other option is to code your own game with music and sound effects.
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear interested

Don't mean to necro an old thread, but in case people search on this, here are some good resources on composing video game music

Game Audio Network Guild . Organization for promotion and education of game audio. They host the annual "G.A.N.G. award show" each year at GDC.

Game Developers Conference (GDC). The giant (20,000 +) conference for people who make games. The sessions are generally advanced, but there is great networking

GameSoundCon. Conference on video game music and sound design. Good combination of hands-on training an masterclasses/panel sessions covering everything from the essentials of game audio to business and cutting edge topics.

Gamessound An academic web site with a ton of great links on game music and sound
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013

Good advice. GANG is interesting; I hear big supporters and big opponents of Tallericos baby. Would love to get him in here for an interview actually..... and you Brian.
24th September 2013
Old 24th September 2013
Gear interested

thanks A LOT for a very informative advice, bschmidt. Haven't meet those pages before even if being searching heavily. Will DIG it.
And I'd be VERY thankful for a good sample/foley sounds resource advice if you have any favorites you could share. Paid-one will be absolutely fine.

Spent tons of time searching for it, looked through the dozens, the best so far is SoundSnap with 250 USD/annual fee, but even if they claim 160 k samples, still the selection is pretty limited for my purposes (casual game).

Thanks in advance,
ra.
24th September 2013
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Subscribing (the old fashion way. )
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search