Landing commercial/video game gigs?
New Reply
Subscribe
Synthy08
15th November 2008
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Landing commercial/video game gigs?

Have any of you guys landed either?.......i hear its lucrative but difficult to get into....Do any of the music conventions help "Ascap i create music", etc....
15th November 2008
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
Have any of you guys landed either?.......i hear its lucrative but difficult to get into....Do any of the music conventions help "Ascap i create music", etc....
I did a bunch of advertisement stuff.. it really is good money considering its only 30 seconds of music... The thing i find funny is how they reference the different sections, like when they say change the intro, they might only be referring to the first three seconds of music.. a 'verse' might be two lines...

Coming Soon: SYCO -Cher LLoyd "Over the Moon"
Out on Nickelodeon: COLUMBIA RECORDS: Big Time Rush "Halfway There."
Out on ULTRA RECORDS :J Brazil "Girl I'm Tryin"
Out on COLUMBIA RECORDS: Big Time Rush "City Is Ours"
Out on DISNEY PEARL: "Yanni Voices"
Synthy08
15th November 2008
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Did you land that by having aa good manager or are you just in a good city for music?
15th November 2008
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

neither, as i wouldnt even count New York as a 'good place for music' anymore. I got it cuz a dude that knows a dude that knows a dude passed my name along when dude at the jingle house was asking for someone capable of doing what he needed.. my contacts were in LA and the company is in australia.

As for managers, they dont really do much you couldnt do yourself, just to point that out... I have been approached by multiple, seriously established industry people for management, and one thing they all had in common was that they all wanted to start managing me based on getting involved with cuts i had already established on my own, and therefore commissioning something they had nothing to do with.. When i point out that i am not willing to let them commission works i already locked in, and ask them to bring me something new before i sign into an agreement, the phone calls suddenly stop.

What you want to do is reach out to whoever you can, and hope that whoever you contact is looking for work at the moment, and try to get them to listen to your work... Its tough because even if you NAIL the timing, they will most likely only be open to consider you if you have some sort of discography or portfolio, which is hard to get when NO ONE gives you work without one.. Sort of a catch 22 i guess.
Synthy08
15th November 2008
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Is there a certain person in a company thats good to contact like "music supervisor" or something like that.
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

without a good in, its gonna take some interning and assisting to get in the door. Go intern at a jingle house and get to know people. Eventually someone will ask to hear something and hopefully you are ready. I got lucky and had a friend that started from the bottom like I previously mentioned, got a great set of connections and shared them with me. I did the same for him and shared some profits as a thank you. My music was also top notch. Been getting calls ever since. It's a great change from the major label rat race. Filter knows what hes talking about as well. good advice. Managers should come when you can no longer maintain your affairs from being too busy with tons of work IMO. If its the other way around you end up being under their boot and they can yank contacts away at will if you don't do what they say.
MacPro 2.66 quad, Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, Protools 8 LE 003, Logic 8, McDsp, Sonnox, API 512c, GR NV500, Buzz Essence, Focusrite Solo, DBX 160A, Telefunken AK47, AKG 414eb Adam A7 Sub 8, Laney, Fender, Martin, Musicman, PRS, Marshall, Bach.
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Always wondered about that too- I used to see this Jaguar commercial that had the "Amen" break running in the backround... not chopped up, or processed. I was like "Damn, some mofo got paid probably a few G's to sell them a LOOP" I bet it's all who you know.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ha! you did not tell the dirty little secret about doing commercials.

There is very little compositional creativity. Ya, basically the video guy gives you a track he can't afford the royalties on and wants you to get as close to that without copyright infringement.

I'd do it again but after awhile it was pissing me off.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Ha! you did not tell the dirty little secret about doing commercials.

There is very little compositional creativity. Ya, basically the video guy gives you a track he can't afford the royalties on and wants you to get as close to that without copyright infringement.

I'd do it again but after awhile it was pissing me off.
haha only in the entertainment business do people have the balls to get a job that pays thousands of dollars for a few days worth of work and complain that they're 'pissed off' that they dont get 'compositional creativity.' Its called 'work.' Its where you make money to do what you're told.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008

Send a message via AIM to themanager Send a message via Skype™ to themanager
I have about 4 different non-exclusive deals providing library music for companies that shop music to film/tv companies. One of those companies are real good at sending weekly emails about what they are looking for. Sometimes they send out emails at 10 at night saying they need something by the morning. This company said that most of their money is now coming from providing music for movie trailers. I have yet to place anything but i am actively submitting for these opps every chance i get.
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

My next door neighbor is a game company CEO and my step-son does game animation for Sony... I've got almost too much gaming work!

Regards,
Bruce
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
My next door neighbor is a game company CEO and my step-son does game animation for Sony... I've got almost too much gaming work!

Regards,
Bruce
Any hope for us with any track submissions?
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Guru

thats where its at for video game stuff, up there in the northwest.
14th December 2008
Old 14th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
thats where its at for video game stuff, up there in the northwest.
We just had a game that we worked on come out last Monday.

Defense Grid - The Awakening

Regards,
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search