New Reply
Subscribe
DJNOBS
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

Video Game Trailer Demo Reel Advice

Hey all,

I'm putting together some new material for my demo reel. I have some indie film stuff and some advertisement material, but I wanted to use a video game trailer on there as well. I took a Call of Duty 4 video game trailer and put music and SFX to it. I'm look for any and all comments and suggestions, anything that may stand out to you, good or bad. The files is a Quicktime Movie (16 Mb) which you can view or download here:

www.spearheadaudio.com/COD819.mov

Thanks a lot guys!
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Gear addict

I like what you wrote. Cool arrangement. My biggest problem was the lack of dynamics. Every time the strings were building they stayed the same volume. Work on the mix and maybe tweak the reverb. See if you can really build some excitement into it. The SFX should be pretty in your face, too. You have all of the elements, now just get the mix to be more exciting!
DJNOBS
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

Thanks! I was going back and forth with the balance between the SFX and the music, I didn't want one to overshadow the other. But I'll pull the SFX up to give it some more power. With the strings I think you're right...again I wanted the music to be intense, and so I probably negated some of that intensity by having them play at "11" (aka ff) the whole time. I'll work on making the track breath more. Thanks for your tips!!!
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Frenchc
while my opinion might not be worth much because I don't work in that field but my impression is that the sound effects might be a little weak or low in level. I'd like it more if some of the fighting scenes felt a little more chaotic in terms of sound effects if that makes an sense...overall I think its pretty great though...good job
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

I could be wrong, but there may be some legal issues with overdubbing and presenting copyrighted materials. I wouldn't be so concerned with legal repercussions, but I imagine prospective clients might take notice...just an idea. You already have quite a resume by the way!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeandShadow View Post
I could be wrong, but there may be some legal issues with overdubbing and presenting copyrighted materials. I wouldn't be so concerned with legal repercussions, but I imagine prospective clients might take notice...just an idea. You already have quite a resume by the way!
No, you are not wrong.

DJNOBS > putting the music alone on your demo reel of course is not a problem whatsoever. Putting the vid is. Don't do it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search