Video Games could save music! Nielsen Soundscan data
m. chan
24th January 2008
Old 24th January 2008
Gear maniac

Video Games could save music! Nielsen Soundscan data

According to Nielsen SoundScan data, individual Metallica songs saw an online sales spike between 31-48 percent, a month after they were featured in Rock Band. Though the overall impact is still unclear, music execs are thrilled, says Reuters.

While impressive, in-game downloads sell even more music. MTV last week said more than 2.5 million songs have been downloaded in Rock Band, while Activision accounts for more than 5 million Guitar Hero 3 downloads since downloading began last November.

"We live in a rough time around music where our audience struggles to pay $20 for a CD but don't hesitate to pay $50 for a game," said Van Toffler, MTV's music division president. "The notion to pay 99 cents or $1.99 to have a song and repeatedly play with it apparently isn't a big hurdle."

- taken from pcworld.com
24th January 2008
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

I was talking about this with someone today. Games are doing incredibly well these days compared to most other home media.
24th January 2008
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

I'll be recording the Seattle Symphony again in which the program will be: PLAY! A Video Game Symphony.
Accompanied by graphics of each video game, it should be a great concert!

Regards,
Bruce
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Head

I think most folks over the age of 15 seriously underestimate the video game market. My understanding is that it's the only entertainment venue that's actually growing while music, movies, and even tv are all losing customers.

I'm not really surprised. I'm not really a big gamer, but when I do play video games, I find them a whole lot more engaging than most tv, music or movies out these days. At least with games you're actually doing something rather than just staring at the tv or movie screen in a completely passive state of mind...

Subsonic
Jsx
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Jsx
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
I'll be recording the Seattle Symphony again in which the program will be: PLAY! A Video Game Symphony.
Accompanied by graphics of each video game, it should be a great concert!

Regards,
Bruce
I've actually heard quite a bit about the PLAY! tour. Congrats on landing the gig.
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Banned

I've done loads of stuff for games recently (Guitar Hero, Rock Band etc). The labels are clamouring to get their tracks featured.

It is a captive audience for selling back catalogue but I can't see it saving the industry to be honest. The game companies have their pick of tracks.

But who knows, maybe 'Guitar Hero: unsigned', with free Chinese Fender controller will be the next big thing.
m. chan
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
I think most folks over the age of 15 seriously underestimate the video game market.
Subsonic
that's funny because the average gamer and target audience is men aged 30-35 who have disposable income and can afford up to 600 for each system and 50-70 for each game
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear addict

I'd definately consider getting into composing for games / sound design for games although I've got no idea how to start building up a clientele etc
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by primemeat64 View Post
I'd definately consider getting into composing for games / sound design for games although I've got no idea how to start building up a clientele etc
The only reason I got into it was because my step-son does animation.

Immortal3D

Regards,
Bruce
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear addict

there you go - classic "who you know" stuff...
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

You know why games continue to do well? Because they are very tough to pirate and unlike music, people don't feel entitled to have them for free.
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
You know why games continue to do well? Because they are very tough to pirate and unlike music, people don't feel entitled to have them for free.
yeah totally - gaming is a REALLY strong industry which I'd like to be a part of... I guess I really need to do some networking!
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. chan View Post
While impressive, in-game downloads sell even more music. MTV last week said more than 2.5 million songs have been downloaded in Rock Band, while Activision accounts for more than 5 million Guitar Hero 3 downloads since downloading began last November.
How do these in-game downloads work? You can only play it on your console? Or only in the game? Or can you transfer the song to you ipod or something?
m. chan
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
they are actually VERY easy to pirate.. everyone i know has a "modded" ps2 or xbox. Bootleg games are as accessable as bootleg movies and music. But i guess some people that dont live near a major city and no internet skills would have a hard time getting ahold of them. (btw i wasnt meaning you or anyone specific, just in general). Anyone can get anything free.

and i don't know how they download the songs, i think it is through your console. The songs aren't actually playable in full on thier own, you have to play the game. But the stats on the metallica sales are based on online downloaded songs like from itunes.
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear maniac

imagine how much money metallica would have if they'd embrassed digital audio instead of wasting time trying to stop it?
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear maniac

Gamres are not anywhere

near as easy to pirate as mp3s.

Thats why people still buy 'em.

A game that comes on 2 DVDs would still take days and weeks to download from bittorrent , if it arrvied at all. Most mp3 albums are between 50 and 100 Mb and can be downloaded in minutes.

However, and I dont think it's a welcome development, because games offer so much more engaging (in a bad way, the way crack is 'engaging') entertainment, a lot of younger people are no longer used to the idea of really listening to music the way people would in the old days. - i.e. sticking on a new album and listening too it while you browse the liner notes . And not doing anything else at the same time .

Music now is something you stick on while you do something else.
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. chan View Post
According to Nielsen SoundScan data, individual Metallica songs saw an online sales spike between 31-48 percent, a month after they were featured in Rock Band. Though the overall impact is still unclear, music execs are thrilled, says Reuters.

"We live in a rough time around music where our audience struggles to pay $20 for a CD but don't hesitate to pay $50 for a game," said Van Toffler, MTV's music division president. "The notion to pay 99 cents or $1.99 to have a song and repeatedly play with it apparently isn't a big hurdle."

- taken from pcworld.com

stop letting the secrets out
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search