Music for Video Games
New Reply
Subscribe
Justice
30th January 2007
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Music for Video Games

I am very interested in making music for video games. Does anyone out there have any good leads on how to place music?

I beleive the next stage in production and promotions is getting music on video games, any thoughts???

Is there any money or publishing benefits, or do you sell your rights to the game maker?

Do you get a percent of the moneys generated from the games sales. Does having a credited producer making the soundtrack/music for the game benefit the game maker.

I also have a great idea for a game I want to pitch, how or who do I go to.

ok...... ready GO!
30th January 2007
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
BUMP! I'd like to hear some input on this as well.
30th January 2007
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post

Is there any money or publishing benefits, or do you sell your rights to the game maker?
in some cases, you can do a straight buy-out for the music... in most that i've seen or dealt with, you do a non-exclusive licensing agreement with royalties paid based on game's sales, etc...
31st January 2007
Old 31st January 2007
Gear nut

www.illfactormusic.com

I wrote a score for this online role playing game Aeonfalls... i truly love making music for video games and in which is the very purpose of me starting up my own company to do just that. I gatta say if you think getting your beats/tracks/songs heard in the music industry was a mission... the whole realm of video games are a lot more of a task..But dont let that get you down... there are mroe games being made and released than you can think off and the industry is well over climbing profits than the music industry is so if you wanna do it GO FOR IT.. i would start off learning all the terms that come with the makign music for games start off with buying a couple of books or attending some clinics get as much info you can before even writing one note trust me hope this helps

-ill factor
31st January 2007
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill Factor View Post
www.illfactormusic.com

I wrote a score for this online role playing game Aeonfalls... i truly love making music for video games and in which is the very purpose of me starting up my own company to do just that. I gatta say if you think getting your beats/tracks/songs heard in the music industry was a mission... the whole realm of video games are a lot more of a task..But dont let that get you down... there are mroe games being made and released than you can think off and the industry is well over climbing profits than the music industry is so if you wanna do it GO FOR IT.. i would start off learning all the terms that come with the makign music for games start off with buying a couple of books or attending some clinics get as much info you can before even writing one note trust me hope this helps

-ill factor

any books you can recommend?
Justice
31st January 2007
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Really I dont have that hard of a time getting heard or placing music with labels,

Labels just are not paying that much money these days. The industry is so saturated with producers its kinda wack anyway.

The money in the future will be with Multi Media Entertainment IMO.

I like you company you are doing what I would like to get into. Do you have any resources or leads . I would be willing to trade serious industry contacts as well as a Who's looking database for 2007, for video game leads.

Let me know your thoughts!

J
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear nut

Yea man for sure first off a book that i think now is a bit out dated but can deff help you out in getting to know how you make money in making video game music and how much to charge etc,etc is called:
The complete guide to Game Audio by Aaron Marks

like i said i bought a while ago but the terms and basic need to knows..are very important and are given in this book very well...

so hit me up for whateva peace and hope all id well

-ill Factor
7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Gear nut

music video games
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Audio Alchemist

It's quite a tough market to enter, especially the console and arcade world.

I've had a peripheral brush with the industry by working with Yuzo Koshiro on Dance Dance Revolution (Konami) and the soundtrack for a Japanese racing game (released by Namco).

I'd love to do more if it dropped in my lap but basically a couple of handful of people are doing most of the major works, and I don't bother pursuing it.

Then there's more opportunity on the PC market, mini games, online, etc.

Online Mastering.dk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
21st May 2010
Old 21st May 2010
Gear addict

i shall ressurect this...

Basically this is somthing i am interested in doing, so i have posted a few ads on various forums and had some replies so looking to get involved right away.

I'm doing it just to boost portfolio work, but some of the animators/programmers have mentioned a percentage of profit i would be entitled too.

Now its not the music side of things that im worried about, i just dont want to be bum-plunged or screwed over at all.

so really just checking if theres anything i should look out for, or anything to bare in mind at all throughout the process?

Thanks
Craig
17th February 2014
Old 17th February 2014
Gear interested

Ive uploaded music to sites like musicxray.com and tunecore.com . They have vast amounts of opportunities across the music industry. Also, look out for local independant game/app developers. Although I have so far been unsuccessful, (Ive only been writing/composing/recording/mixing since April 2013), I just have to plough on, trying new methods and sounds, keep writing and practicing the art, and sooner or later, Il send my sounds to the right place.
17th March 2014
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Head

sorry for late reply. The game industry is violently competitive but there are shortcuts to breaking in and getting from "zero to paid"

I actually wrote a book on this very subject. It leans to the freelance side of things - you can get 50% off by using this code: gdc320kbps

Otherwise, you can browse the site, look for full time/contract jobs, read Game Audio Articles and even sign up for Game Audio School among other things. It's all about the hussle. You have to really want this, as there are mountains of competition out there. Your first step is joining IGDA and attending the local meetings in your town. Meet developers and help out. Be the only music/sound guy they know.

Here's the site:
Game Audio
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search